[Tutorial] Coli smiley Vmixes with After Effects

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
Brehs,
Some already asked me about that, so I may share for the people. I'll use that "This is how the Coli does it" vid as an example to understand how things work :

It's not a finished product obviously but it's a good start for us who want to try and learn. For gifs making (above all for long ones), After Effects is way more efficient than Photoshop of Gifs mostly because the former relies on objects and their movement while the latter relies on said objects but with their position on different layers. The longer the gif is, the more you have layers in photoshop and the more you have to tweak the smiles' position. While in After Effects, you only need to let the software track the movement for you for the work to be done.

After Effects can also be used for animation, visual fx, audio and video editing...

1. What you need
- Adobe After Effects
- Photoshop or Gimp
- A good computer for rendering (good chipset and good amount of RAM mostly)
- Patience and accuracy

2. What you got
Link for the After Effects folder of the vid : http://www.mediafire.com/download/80anui13avm6qy1/this_is_how_coli_does_it.zip
It contains :
- the .aep (After Effects project) file
- the images (in the img folder)
- the sounds (in the sons folder)
- the vids (in the vids folder)
- the finished product

3. How to do
The overall process of the Vmixes is the following (it's just my logic behind the work but it can be otherwise) :
a. Import all the images, sounds of video in the workplan and sort them (images in an image folder, audio in audio folder and so on)
b. Create a composition from the video file and import all the objects (images, sounds...) as layers above the video file. Sort the layers in order to have the closest smiley as the the relative top layer (regarding the smiley layers) and the furthest smiley in the vid as the relative bottom.
c. Track all the movements with the tracking tool embedded in the software and apply them to "empty" layers (the track_* layers in red)
d. Link the smilies to the corresponding empty layers with the "parent" tool
e. Tweak the smileys (rotation, scale, opacity, fx, or position if needed) with key frames
f. Put some masks in the project in order to create depth (ie, a smiley passing "behind" a body for example (see mask_krs layer))
g. If there is some audio, sync it. If you need to pt a watermark do it and place it on top of all the layers
h. Preview the whole stuff by typing "0", preview only the audio by typing "."preview only the video stuff by typing "space"
i. Export in the most efficient format (.mp4 mostly)
j. Watch the product and look for mistakes or bugs
k. Repeat the first 8 steps in order to correct the bugs
l. Export the vid as the final product
m. Enjoy

1.000.000 in Coli $ for the poster who finish the vid in the cleanest way :ahh:
I'll be posting to help so feel free to ask questions.

cook

Banned
Daps
Brehs,
Some already asked me about that, so I may share for the people. I'll use that "This is how the Coli does it" vid as an example to understand how things work :

It's not a finished product obviously but it's a good start for us who want to try and learn. For gifs making (above all for long ones), After Effects is way more efficient than Photoshop of Gifs mostly because the former relies on objects and their movement while the latter relies on said objects but with their position on different layers. The longer the gif is, the more you have layers in photoshop and the more you have to tweak the smiles' position. While in After Effects, you only need to let the software track the movement for you for the work to be done.

After Effects can also be used for animation, visual fx, audio and video editing...

1. What you need
- Adobe After Effects
- Photoshop or Gimp
- A good computer for rendering (good chipset and good amount of RAM mostly)
- Patience and accuracy

2. What you got
Link for the After Effects folder of the vid : http://www.mediafire.com/download/80anui13avm6qy1/this_is_how_coli_does_it.zip
It contains :
- the .aep (After Effects project) file
- the images (in the img folder)
- the sounds (in the sons folder)
- the vids (in the vids folder)
- the finished product

3. How to do
The overall process of the Vmixes is the following (it's just my logic behind the work but it can be otherwise) :
a. Import all the images, sounds of video in the workplan and sort them (images in an image folder, audio in audio folder and so on)
b. Create a composition from the video file and import all the objects (images, sounds...) as layers above the video file. Sort the layers in order to have the closest smiley as the the relative top layer (regarding the smiley layers) and the furthest smiley in the vid as the relative bottom.
c. Track all the movements with the tracking tool embedded in the software and apply them to "empty" layers (the track_* layers in red)
d. Link the smilies to the corresponding empty layers with the "parent" tool
e. Tweak the smileys (rotation, scale, opacity, fx, or position if needed) with key frames
f. Put some masks in the project in order to create depth (ie, a smiley passing "behind" a body for example (see mask_krs layer))
g. If there is some audio, sync it. If you need to pt a watermark do it and place it on top of all the layers
h. Preview the whole stuff by typing "0", preview only the audio by typing "."preview only the video stuff by typing "space"
i. Export in the most efficient format (.mp4 mostly)
j. Watch the product and look for mistakes or bugs
k. Repeat the first 8 steps in order to correct the bugs
l. Export the vid as the final product
m. Enjoy

1.000.000 in Coli $ for the poster who finish the vid in the cleanest way :ahh:
I'll be posting to help so feel free to ask questions.

Props, those vmixes you do are probably the dopest thing I've seen anyone make on here...hopefully others get into it

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
Ima get into making Vmixes after I get rid of this :flabbynsick: netbook

shyt cant even run Windows 7 :snoop:
Yeah you'll ne a good notebook because big projects can really slow down your computer. Mine begins to be a little old so sometimes my AE lags but overall I have no problem. I wouldn't mind having a more powerful tool though :mjpls: