U.S. life expectancy falls, driven by suicides and drug overdoses

Afro

Student of life
Supporter
Daps
U.S. life expectancy falls, driven by suicides and drug overdoses

The CDC blamed the change on drug overdoses and suicides, which reached new highs in 2017.

In 2017, the rate of drug overdose deaths was 9.6 percent higher than in 2016, with 70,237 people dying from drug overdoses, many of them from the epidemic of opioid abuse.

Meanwhile, the suicide rate has increased a massive 33 percent since 1999, the CDC said. There are now 14 suicides per 100,000 people, up from 10.5 in 1999.

CDC - NCHS - National Center for Health Statistics

KING WILL

Superstar
Daps
I understand how AVG's work, so Im not question the math of it.

I guess Im kind of questioning the "expectancy" part of it.

Like if there was a massive failure of the health care system, I would "expect" people, as a whole to not live as long.

If there was an outbreak of some crazy ass virus that we couldn't contain in time, I would "expect" people as a whole to not live as long.

I "expect" the longevity of life to continue as normal for most people, if even a few more thousand people are killing themselves each year.

Some will get what Im trying to say, others will not...

Dorian Breh

Veteran
Daps
I understand how AVG's work, so Im not question the math of it.

I guess Im kind of questioning the "expectancy" part of it.

Like if there was a massive failure of the health care system, I would "expect" people, as a whole to not live as long.

If there was an outbreak of some crazy ass virus that we couldn't contain in time, I would "expect" people as a whole to not live as long.

I "expect" the longevity of life to continue as normal for most people, if even a few more thousand people are killing themselves each year.

Some will get what Im trying to say, others will not...
Truth. Life expectancy should only apply to natural deaths