Uncle Tom Was NOT A Bad Man (Dude Was Really A Brave Hero)

SirReginald

The African Diaspora Will Be "ONE" (#PanAfricana)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism
A similar thread was made years back. However, I still see people misuse that word. Listen, Sambo was the sellout NOT Tom. Tom would NOT die in vain. Meaning, he was going to die for his fellow man (slaves). Yep, our people in real life still use that word :snoop:

Some know the original novel Uncle Tom's Cabin which came out in the 1850's, the man Uncle Tom was a slave a who was killed because he didn't give up fellow runaway slaves. Only problem was the novel got real popular.

White folk didn't like the idea of main character of a popular book being an anti-c00n black slave, especially while during slavery. So they changed the narrative in many ways such as rewriting the book, doing minstrel shows starring Uncle Tom, etc. since it was before the Copyright Law of 1856. They then changed mainstream's version of Uncle Tom as an obedient, subservient, willing to please his master at all cost type of slave. Basically, what we know it as today.

African was born into slavery, who ended up sacrificing his own life to save the lives of other slaves. But, when this story was made into a movie, Uncle Tom was portrayed as a slave who gave his life for his master.
Uncle Tom - Wikipedia

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
A lot of people never read the book commenting on Uncle Tom. He wasn't a c00n. The point was he was so pious, that his slavemaster could trust he'd honor his word. Tom would rather be a slave than commit the sin of lying.

The "c00ns" were the slaves who worked for slavemasters to betray and beat other slaves; sometimes to death.

I think Tom became a symbol for c00ning because his slavemaster knew he wouldn't foresake his vows and used that against him.

SirReginald

The African Diaspora Will Be "ONE" (#PanAfricana)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism
Uncle Tom was not a real person. So does it really matter
Yes it does matter because our people are using the word in the wrong context. It doesn't matter if the person is a character. Trust me, it's a problem when our people don't know their history.

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
Yeah, I remember learning about the book in elementary school. A white elementary school of all places. Never understood how the me got misconstrued. I always preferred the term sellout or the ever present "c00n".

The actual book, Abraham Lincoln indicated started the civil war.

karim

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
A similar thread was made years back. However, I still see people misuse that word. Listen, Sambo was the sellout NOT Tom. Tom would NOT die in vain. Meaning, he was going to die for his fellow man (slaves). Yep, our people in real life still use that word :snoop:
somebody is trying to get an early headstart for that woat 2017 title