Unless you're a major artist, why put your album on streaming sites the 1st week?

valet

The official Chaplin of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Like I get it with Drake, Kanye, etc. But if you're somebody that's not on that level what's the point? If I was an artist, I would be strictly on a site like Bandcamp. Especially if I was underground. Then like after a month put it on streaming sites. At least force people who still buy music, the lack of an option to just stream. Now, some are just gonna stream it or found a free copy regardless. I'm just talking about people who still buy music.

milik_19

Pro
Daps
True, I wouldn't even put my stuff on streaming sites for the first week if I was a major artist. You will always sell more when you don't put it on streaming services. Adele would have never sold 3 million copies first week if you could stream her album

DigitalDopeman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Jacksonville, Fl
because artists that aren't MAJOR just want to get their music heard and having your music on multiple streaming services allows you to do that. Unless you have a crazy promo budget or a lot of fans, not many people are just randomly stumbling across your Bandcamp link for new music, but people randomly stumble across new music on streaming services all the time. Plus with an indie artist or an artist without any financial backing,having the album go live on streaming for the first week isn't going to affect much of their sales versus having it for sale on Bandcamp anyways, because its not like an unknown artists without a marketing budget is going to sell thousands of records anyways. At least streaming will allow people to stumble across your music and potentially become a fan.I can see your point if this was about MAJOR artists.....but uknown artists with an album or music just want the best opportunity to get that album heard.....not necessarily thousands of sales from it off the bat.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
:comeon:

Which "minor" artists are brokering exclusivity deals with Google, Apple and Spotify to begin with?