‘Until Dawn’ Video Game Movie in the Works From David F. Sandberg, Gary Dauberman

Blackfyre

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Earthrealm
Filmmaker David F. Sandberg, who has spent the last several years in the land of superheroes, is returning to his horror roots.

The Shazam! helmer has signed a deal to direct Until Dawn, an adaptation of the PlayStation horror video game being made by Screen Gems and PlayStation Productions. All three units fall under the Sony corporate umbrella.

Gary Dauberman, the screenwriter behind hit horror franchises It, Annabelle and The Nun, is doing a pass on the a script originally written by Blair Butler, who previously wrote Sony’s vampire thriller, The Invitation.
First released in 2015, Until Dawn is an interactive horror video game that follows eight friends and frenemies who are brought together a remote mountain retreat. With live or die scenarios featuring a mysterious killer, cannibalistic wendigos, a cable car, and a long-ago mining cave-in that reverberates into the present day, the members of the group must fight through their fear if they all hope to make it through the night in one piece. The game proved to be a surprise hit with critics and received numerous gaming awards nominations.

The logline for the feature adaptation is kept deep inside the caves but Screen Gems is describing it as R-rated love letter to the horror genre, centering on an ensemble cast.

Overseeing for Screen Gems are newly-appointed head Ashley Brucks as well Michael Bitar. Screen Gems’ Dan Primozic closed the rights and shepherded the dealmaking for this package.

PlayStation Productions has ramped up its slate in recent years, and last year saw The Last of Us, Gran Turismo, and Twisted Metal move from the console world to the big and small screen.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
giphy.gif

The Prince of All Saiyans

Formerly Jisoo Stan & @Twitter
Daps
damn I was just about to post this too

I guess Jaden Smith has expressed interest in the project as well, so that's two leads already :lupe:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
damn I was just about to post this too

I guess Jaden Smith has expressed interest in the project as well, so that's two leads already :lupe:

I dont think Rami is actually gonna do it. It’s a teen slasher movie, and while most of the actors were in their 20’s and 30’s already when they made the game, its now 10 years later lol