US tech giant has been offering cybersecurity to terrorist groups: report

HiphopRelated

In Broad Daylight
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
My brother's keeper
Y'all don't understand cloud hosting huh...

They have to actually do research to even see how their clients are using their service.

They are not directly able to identify terrorists who use their service. Very sensationalized article .

This would be like people complaining that Dropbox is helping terrorists
Was about to post this.

And Uncle Sam has directly helped more terrorists than Cloud Flare ever will

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang

They have to actually do research to even see how their clients are using their service.

They are not directly able to identify terrorists who use their service. Very sensationalized article .

This would be like people complaining that Dropbox is helping terrorists
I understand cloud services extremely well. Cloud fare could stop allowing traffic to terrorist sites. They could even blacklist reported sites from their nameservers.

There is some culpability on their part.

How much is the debate.

Savvir

Veteran
Daps
I understand cloud services extremely well. Cloud fare could stop allowing traffic to terrorist sites. They could even blacklist reported sites from their nameservers.

How much is the debate.
they already do blacklist terrorist related sites THAT THEY KNOW OF....

what evidence do you have that they purposely protect terrorist sites?

https://gizmodo.com/cloudflare-under-fire-for-allegedly-providing-ddos-prot-1831107649
"I asked if Cloudflare ever continues to provide services for a sanctioned group at the request of a government agency, for example if that agency wants to continue monitoring a specific website. Kramer said he was “not aware” of the company ever having “a situation like that.” He did say that Cloudflare has never been sent a request from the U.S. government to discontinue services for any customer. He speculated that the reason for that is because it doesn’t provide hosting and if the government wants to take down a website they tend to go elsewhere.

This issue comes down to who is sending this info about cloudflare supporting terrorists?
If they have a client who isn't a sanctioned person...and the U.S. government hasn't contacted them about the person...
are they supposed to just terminate a customer because another random person with no authority says they should?

They don't even provide hosting.
So it's even safe to say that cloudflare is only useful if another hosting site doesn't see any reason to terminate the customer too...

your responses show how little technical knowledge you have on this issue.

Prince.Skeletor

Don’t Be Like He-Man
Daps
Reppin
Bucktown
Cloudflare is not really a cloud hosting company bruh, it is more of a security company that prevents Ddos attacks using DNS Resolution methods.
The only "hosting" portion of the company's offering is it acts as a CDN(content deliver network) like Akamai.
What that means is that it may host images and files but not the entire website, for faster access.

I don't think terrorist groups are using cloudflare as a CDN, they are using it to prevent DDOS attacks.
So hosting is not part of the issue here.

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
what evidence do you have that they purposely protect terrorist sites?

They're saying they wait for LEO to take action.

But it's not up to LEO to enforce their TOS that requires following applicable laws.

That is on them. And they have departments to handle these issues. They've clearly decided it's better for business to handle it how they are.

The bigger problem is countries can and eventually will ask for more. How cloudflare responds will determine their profitability in the long run.

E.g. Facebook

I don't think terrorist groups are using cloudflare as a CDN, they are using it to prevent DDOS attacks.
So hosting is not part of the issue here.

This is correct.

Savvir

Veteran
Daps
And they have departments to handle these issues. They've clearly decided it's better for business to handle it how they are.

my question is what evidence do you have that there is even an issue of how they are handling it...?

especially if the site's actual hosting provider isn't seeing an issue....

Yapdatfool

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think the Gov't or anybody needs specific examples they can quantitatively point to (al-queda at such and such time did this through cloudflares services knowingly) just like godaddy and st0rmfr0nt in order to find cloudflare responsible for aiding and abetting terrorists.
There's precedence set for letting the process take its course and not, it is what it is.

How much is the debate.

How far down the rabbit hole do you wanna go with culpability? Just curious...

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
How far down the rabbit hole do you wanna go with culpability? Just curious...

As someone who has worked in this sector for a while, I'd say it goes as far as governments take it.

GDPR was considered a nightmare scenario 10 years ago. Now it's the standard.

WRT to. CF they were put on notice a 7 years ago. It's clearly in the realm of possibility.

No one's going to jail if that's what you're asking. :skip: