Vegetarian and vegan diets linked to lower risk of heart disease, cancer and death, large review finds

bnew

Veteran
Daps

Vegetarian and vegan diets linked to lower risk of heart disease, cancer and death, large review finds​

An analysis of nearly 50 studies suggests that plant-based diets have a multitude of health benefits.

chickpea salad

julief514 / Getty Images

May 15, 2024, 2:00 PM EDT

By Aria Bendix

A plant-based diet is associated with a reduced risk of heart disease, cancer and death, according to a large-scale review published Wednesday.

The research, which appears in the journal PLOS ONE, analyzed the results of nearly 50 studies published from 2000 to 2023.

The studies examined the health effects of either vegetarian diets or vegan regimens, which restrict any food derived from animals, including dairy.

A clear consensus emerged: Both eating patterns were associated with a lower risk of cancer and ischemic heart disease (heart problems caused by narrowed arteries). In particular, the diets seemed to reduce the risk of prostate cancer and gastrointestinal cancers like colon cancer. Vegetarian diets were also linked to a lower risk of dying from cardiovascular disease.

In addition, plant-based diets were associated with a reduction in risk factors for heart disease and cancer, including high body weight, inflammation and LDL or “bad” cholesterol.

“This research shows, in general, that a plant-based diet can be beneficial, and taking small steps in that direction can make a difference,” said Matthew Landry, one of the review’s authors and an assistant professor of population health and disease prevention at the University of California, Irvine.

“You don’t have to go completely vegan to see some of these benefits,” he added. “Even reducing a day or two per week of animal-based consumption can have benefits over time.”

However, Dr. Walter Willett, a professor of epidemiology and nutrition at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, pointed out that not everyone who follows a plant-based diet eats the same foods, so levels of healthiness still vary.

“A vegetarian diet could be based primarily on refined starches and sugar, which we see to be the worst dietary pattern,” Willett, who was not involved in the new research, said in an email.

A healthy plant-based diet, he said, should consist mostly of whole grains, fruits, vegetables, nuts, soy, beans and non-hydrogenated plant oils.

Why are plant-based diets so healthy?​

Researchers are still investigating the mechanisms through which plant-based diets lower the risk of disease.

Some of it may have to do with preventing obesity, which is linked to heart disease and certain cancers. But the benefits likely extend beyond that, Landry said.

“Some of it is independent of weight. Even when weight is maintained or doesn’t change, we still see reductions in some of these other clinical health outcomes, especially when it relates to cardiovascular disease,” he said.

One possible reason is that many fruits and vegetables are high in anti-inflammatory nutrients and antioxidants, which can reduce plaque buildup in the arteries.

Plant-based diets also tend to be high in fiber, which helps lower bad cholesterol, said Brie Turner-McGrievy, a professor of health promotion, education and behavior at the University of South Carolina. She published a study in 2014 which found that plant-based diets can reduce risk factors for heart disease, stroke and Type 2 diabetes. The research was included in the new review.

“Soluble fiber that’s found in things like beans and oats is really a powerful tool to help lower LDL cholesterol levels,” she said.

Turner-McGrievy noted, though, that much of that benefit can only be achieved through eating whole foods: “It’s not like you can take a fiber supplement and hope to have these same outcomes.”

Another benefit of a plant-based diet may come simply from the absence of meat, she said. People who are vegan tend to consume less saturated fat than meat eaters.

“It’s just really hard to lower your saturated fat intake if you’re consuming animal-based foods,” Turner-McGrievy said. “Cheese, for example, is the No. 1 source of saturated fat in the diet.”

Processed meat products such as bacon or salami are also known to raise the risk of cancer, according to the World Health Organization. The agency considers red meat in general to be a “probable human carcinogen.”

Is a vegan or vegetarian diet right for everyone?​

According to the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, vegetarian and vegan diets are adequate and healthy at all stages of life, including pregnancy, childhood and older adulthood.

But the new review stopped short of recommending plant-based diets for everyone.

“During pregnancy, it’s not recommended based on the data that we have to use a strict vegetarian diet,” said Dr. Federica Guaraldi, one of the review’s authors and an endocrinologist at the IRCCS Institute of Neurological Sciences of Bologna in Italy.

Guaraldi and her co-authors found that the plant-based regimens studied didn’t lower the risk of gestational diabetes or hypertension in pregnant women. One study included in the review suggested that pregnant women who followed a vegetarian diet had lower levels of zinc — which is important for children's growth, development and immune function than those who ate meat. Another study in the review found that vegetarian mothers had an increased risk of delivering babies with low birthweights.

The review's authors also cautioned that plant-based diets might lead to vitamin B12 deficiencies in the general population. Landry said that can be addressed by taking a B12 supplement.

“From my perspective as a dietitian, a healthy plant-based diet — either vegetarian or vegan — can really meet just about all your vitamin and mineral needs,” he said.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
That study wouldn't apply to me. If i went vegan or vegetarian i'd just end up eating way too much starch like rice.
End up with heart disease or diabetes. because of how it all converts into sugar

Tallac

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It is pretty easy. I started first day this year as a joke, just to see how long I would last.
5 months later, I do not even miss or think about meat, fish and all that. I actually learned how to cook because of it.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
That study wouldn't apply to me. If i went vegan or vegetarian i'd just end up eating way too much starch like rice.
End up with heart disease or diabetes. because of how it all converts into sugar

theres Bulgar Wheat and Quinoa :ld:

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
theres Bulgar Wheat and Quinoa :ld:
Never had bulgar wheat, might have to try it. Not sold on Quinoa, need something thats more ... absorbent i guess? I'm a rice and gravy type. Quinoa just doesn't do it for me

bnew

Veteran
Daps
Never had bulgar wheat, might have to try it. Not sold on Quinoa, need something thats more ... absorbent i guess? I'm a rice and gravy type. Quinoa just doesn't do it for me

Claude 3 Haiku A.I generated response:

Yes, there are several other rice alternatives that are lower in starch compared to regular white or brown rice:

1. Cauliflower rice - Riced cauliflower is a popular low-carb and low-starch rice substitute. It's made by pulsing cauliflower florets in a food processor until they resemble the texture of rice.

2. Shirataki rice - Shirataki rice is made from the konjac yam and is very low in calories and carbs. It's a great rice alternative for those watching their starch intake.

3. Riced broccoli - Similar to cauliflower rice, broccoli can also be riced and used as a low-starch rice substitute.

4. Spaghetti squash - When cooked, spaghetti squash separates into long, noodle-like strands that can be used in place of rice or pasta.

5. Zucchini rice - Zucchini can be grated or pulsed in a food processor to create a rice-like texture that is low in starch.

6. Finely chopped mushrooms - Finely chopped mushrooms can also be used as a low-starch rice alternative.

These vegetable-based rice alternatives are all very low in starch and carbs compared to traditional rice. They can be a great way to reduce starch intake while still enjoying a rice-like texture and flavor.

:ehh:

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Claude 3 Haiku A.I generated response:

Yes, there are several other rice alternatives that are lower in starch compared to regular white or brown rice:

1. Cauliflower rice - Riced cauliflower is a popular low-carb and low-starch rice substitute. It's made by pulsing cauliflower florets in a food processor until they resemble the texture of rice.

2. Shirataki rice - Shirataki rice is made from the konjac yam and is very low in calories and carbs. It's a great rice alternative for those watching their starch intake.

3. Riced broccoli - Similar to cauliflower rice, broccoli can also be riced and used as a low-starch rice substitute.

4. Spaghetti squash - When cooked, spaghetti squash separates into long, noodle-like strands that can be used in place of rice or pasta.

5. Zucchini rice - Zucchini can be grated or pulsed in a food processor to create a rice-like texture that is low in starch.

6. Finely chopped mushrooms - Finely chopped mushrooms can also be used as a low-starch rice alternative.

These vegetable-based rice alternatives are all very low in starch and carbs compared to traditional rice. They can be a great way to reduce starch intake while still enjoying a rice-like texture and flavor.

:ehh:
I actually like riced veggies. I don't make them myself though. Have to find them prepared at the grocery store.

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
You slather a garden salad in dressing and croutons ain't gonna help.

Proportions and exercise