Voter ID Law Debate. Weigh In

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Democrats say requiring ID when voting is a form of disenfranchisement. Trying to keep black people from being able to vote. :wtf: Every person I know has some form of ID though. What citizen dont have ID these days? Its kind of embarrassing to say many black folk dont have ID IMO.

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Well, I don't know.

On one hand, everybody should have an ID anyway, and I don't like the implications that black people are too dumb/poor/whatever to get an ID. On the other hand, in practice voter fraud is very uncommon anyway. That means that the net effect is that there will be more instances where people who are eligible to will be prevented from doing so than there will be of voter fraud being prevented.

So I lean against the idea. :obama:

Strapped

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Everyone should have an id & absentee ballots should have finger prints on them or get rid of the ballots

Daps
Reppin
NULL
The Taxman is right, it's clearly just some bull**** by Republicans to suppress Democrat voters. They don't even need the voting fraud Trojan Horse to do it either. Check it:

If you live in Butler or Warren counties in the Republican-leaning suburbs of Cincinnati, you can vote for president beginning in October by going to a polling place in the evening or on weekends. Republican officials in those counties want to make it convenient for their residents to vote early and avoid long lines on Election Day.

But, if you live in Cincinnati, you’re out of luck. Republicans on the county election board are planning to end early voting in the city promptly at 5 p.m., and ban it completely on weekends, according to The Cincinnati Enquirer. The convenience, in other words, will not be extended to the city’s working people.

The sleazy politics behind the disparity is obvious. Hamilton County, which contains Cincinnati, is largely Democratic and voted solidly for Barack Obama in 2008. So did the other urban areas of Cleveland, Columbus and Akron, where Republicans, with the assistance of the Ohio secretary of state, Jon Husted, have already eliminated the extended hours for early voting.

County election boards in Ohio, a closely contested swing state, are evenly divided between Democrats and Republicans. In counties likely to vote for President Obama, Republicans have voted against the extended hours, and Mr. Husted has broken the tie in their favor. (He said the counties couldn’t afford the long hours.) In counties likely to vote for Mitt Romney, Republicans have not objected to the extended hours.

Today In Republican Disenfranchisement Initiatives - Lawyers, Guns & Money : Lawyers, Guns & Money

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis
i dont support the laws, cuz the laws are stupid but its not really that serious either way, i dont think these laws are enough to sway the election cuz people that dont have ID are probably people that werent going to vote anyway

but the problem i see is that it shows how black political leadership has outsourced their jobs to liberals and teh democratic party, there is no way to have any serious economic development if people dont have ids, you need an id to get job, drive and just function in society

i dont think there is any real excuse for a black person or any other person not having an id and i dont see how you can develop economically without an ID, so the main thing black leaders should be pushing for is to make sure that every black person has id so that people can participate in society

i dont appreciate leaders insinuating that its ok to not have an ID

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
I work for a nonprofit while in school and we spent some time on this issue (before we even knew politics would come into play). A lot of people in Philadelphia and other parts of Pennsylvania do not have state issued IDs. We were working on getting it for them because without them they don't have access to a lot of social benefits and programs that require such identification. Many of these people are older black people who were discriminated against from getting such identification historically. The problem people have (and why we were funding attorneys to go work on the issue) is that without the state IDs the individuals cannot get the benefits, but they cannot get the state IDs without birth certificates and other forms of identification (which I can't quite recall). So basically they're stuck in this position where they have no way of getting either thing. That's where the attorneys come in, but we had no idea it would have such political ramifications and we definitely were not thinking about something on this scale.

GoPro

EscoBeard Season Has Returned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#CertLife #ITGang
i dont support the laws, cuz the laws are stupid but its not really that serious either way, i dont think these laws are enough to sway the election cuz people that dont have ID are probably people that werent going to vote anyway

but the problem i see is that it shows how black political leadership has outsourced their jobs to liberals and teh democratic party, there is no way to have any serious economic development if people dont have ids, you need an id to get job, drive and just function in society

i dont think there is any real excuse for a black person or any other person not having an id and i dont see how you can develop economically without an ID, so the main thing black leaders should be pushing for is to make sure that every black person has id so that people can participate in society

i dont appreciate leaders insinuating that its ok to not have an ID

I agree. These people had over a year to get their IDs. You know what the repubs are all about. They have no scruples. If we're gonna progress we have to stop sitting on our hands whining about every obstacle thrown in our path. I've been watching MSNBC off and on for about 3 and unfortunately only one person mentioned being proactive about this shyt. I was proud of that black man. Matthews on the other hand was throwing his usual hyperbole-laced tantrums.

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
why are we not bein given the option to vote online?

its 2012, weve gone to space and all of that shyt, but we still havent come up with a secure govt website, one vote per SSN. am i missin some obvious reaosn why this is not a viable option? all i can think of is viruses/some dikkhead hackers

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
I work for a nonprofit while in school and we spent some time on this issue (before we even knew politics would come into play). A lot of people in Philadelphia and other parts of Pennsylvania do not have state issued IDs. We were working on getting it for them because without them they don't have access to a lot of social benefits and programs that require such identification. Many of these people are older black people who were discriminated against from getting such identification historically. The problem people have (and why we were funding attorneys to go work on the issue) is that without the state IDs the individuals cannot get the benefits, but they cannot get the state IDs without birth certificates and other forms of identification (which I can't quite recall). So basically they're stuck in this position where they have no way of getting either thing. That's where the attorneys come in, but we had no idea it would have such political ramifications and we definitely were not thinking about something on this scale.

damn thats deep

soooooo why isn't the attorney general filing something on behalf of those disenfranchised by the discrimination in the past???