Watch DJ Premier Remake "Work" Without Any Samples

LevelUp

🧞πŸͺ” π™π™π™š π™‚π™šπ™£π™žπ™š 𝙀𝙛 π™©π™π™š 𝙇𝙖𝙒π™₯ 🧞πŸͺ”
Daps
dd3a5c1f-5b12-4ec5-b6ae-975787dee513_Preemo+3.jpeg

"In 2023, the idea of "re recording" an album became a major topic in music circles after Taylor Swift announced that she would be making Taylor's Versions of her past catalogue.

While it may seem like this would be an attempt to polish anything she felt hasn't aged well, it is, in fact, a way to take control of the publishing, and control how the music is used.

With that being said, our ears perked up when we caught a glimpse of DJ Premier making a sample-less version of Gang Starr's iconic song, "Work."

Turning to husband and wife team, Carlos and Jamie Homs, Preemo illustrates how he can match the tones of the original sample β€” even going so far as to record the vocal intro, "Are you working, what what kind of work do you do?"

While it remains to be seen if DJ Premier is indeed remaking some, or all, of Gang Starr's catalogue without samples, he reassures his fans: "Don't worry y'all, I'll NEVER stop Diggin'."

Watch DJ Premier Remake "Work" Without Any Samples

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
isn't this just an "Interpolation' ? Something that Dre usually does? :jbhmm:
Basically. Dre will just have musicians come in and replay the music instead of sampling. I always wondered why producers just didn't do that regardless. DJ Quik spoke on it and talked about how the sound don't quite hit the same when they replay the music.

Tommy Gibbs

All Star
Daps
Basically. Dre will just have musicians come in and replay the music instead of sampling. I always wondered why producers just didn't do that regardless. DJ Quik spoke on it and talked about how the sound don't quite hit the same when they replay the music.
it doesn't. A perfect example of this is geto boys original Mind playing tricks on me and Scarface solo version from The Diary album. both are amazing songs, but the original sampled form Isaac Hayes just sounded that much better with the record static and all. In 94, it was replayed

TripleAgent

Holding my nuts fukking thousand dollar lesbians
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Cool to see for "can it be done" purposes, but nah. shyt never sounds as good. NEVER.