What’s The Most Important Horror Flick By Decade?

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Been listening to a lot of horror podcasts, reading horror articles, and watching movies and it got me thinking; what’s the most important horror flick by decade starting with the 70s?

Not saying the best or your favorite, but what truly changed the game and innovated and created a lot of copycats in its wake.

For me, it goes like this.

70s: Halloween. I thought about the exorcist or Texas chain saw, and they have their imitators, but Halloween was the one that said horror could come to you. And it could be simple and unrelenting. In the exorcist it’s all about religion and spirituality, which can be hard for some to grasp if they don’t believe in that. It’s also a movie clearly about triumphing over evil.

Texas chain saw is simple but the horrorific things happen because our main characters leave home. Had they not been on the road then nothing bad would’ve happened to them.

Halloween says that you just chillin in your neighborhood on your own block makes you a potential victim. And that in the end, evil won’t be defeated, just slowed down a bit. But it will get you. Plus without Halloween, no Friday the 13th or the slew of other imitators like April fools day, silent night deadly night, New Years evil, etc etc

80s: This ones tough too but I’m going with A Nightmare on Elm St.

If Halloween said evil could come to your home, nightmare said it could get you in your sleep. It created the template for mashing together the mundane and the supernatural, while setting up a bad guy with character. After Freddy, every horror franchise wanted their own Freddy. A bad guy you could put on lunchboxes and pajamas who was sometimes a lot more interesting than the people he killed and had more personality than anyone else.

No Freddy? no pinhead or leprechaun, or Chucky. And I’m sure I’m forgetting some.

90s: Scream. I don’t even think I need to explain this one. An argument could be made for Blair witch, but scream is easily the most important of the decade and truly changed everything after it.

00s: Saw. It’s not my fav movie of the decade but it’s the most influential, most lucrative, and changed everything after it. Before Saw, horror was in a timid spot. All the scream imitators were so focused on recapturing that vibe they forgot to make it grissly and it became very WBish. Saw announced it was cool to be gory again and really visceral.

And it also had some serious commentary about how we viewed violence post Iraq and compared with the images we were getting on tv. Without Saw, no hostel, no collector, shyt no anything from that decade for the most part.

10s: I wanted to say paranormal activity but that’s acrually 09 and the more I thought about it, it’s probably a tie between insidious and the conjuring. Both ushered in the era of James wan, insidious put Blumhouse on the map, and the conjuring universe thing they’re doing is the most successful horror we’ve got going today and in quite some time. A long time.

But those are my feelings. Add on

Last edited:

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
Been listening to a lot of horror podcasts, reading horror articles, and watching movies and it got me thinking; what’s the most important horror flick by decade starting with the 70s?

Not saying the best or your favorite, but what truly changed the game and innovated and created a lot of copycats in its wake.

For me, it goes like this.

70s: Halloween. I thought about the exorcist or Texas chain saw, and they have their imitators, but Halloween was the one that said horror could come to you. And it could be simple and unrelenting. In the exorcist it’s all about religion and spirituality, which can be hard for some to grasp if they don’t believe in that. It’s also a movie clearly about triumphing over evil.

Texas chain saw is simple but the horrorific things happen because our main characters leave home. Had they not been on the road then nothing bad would’ve happened to them.

Halloween says that you just chillin in your neighborhood on your own block makes you a potential victim. And that in the end, evil won’t be defeated, just slowed down a bit. But it will get you. Plus without Halloween, no Friday the 13th or the slew of other imitators like April fools day, silent night deadly night, New Years evil, etc etc

80s: This ones tough too but I’m going with A Nightmare on Elm St.

If Halloween said evil could come to your home, nightmare said it could get you in your sleep. It created the template for mashing together the mundane and the supernatural, while setting up a bad guy with character. After Freddy, every horror franchise wanted their own Freddy. A bad guy you could put on lunchboxes and pajamas who was sometimes a lot more interesting than the people he killed and had more personality than anyone else.

No Freddy? no pinhead or leprechaun, or Chucky. And I’m sure I’m forgetting some.

90s: Scream. I don’t even think I need to explain this one. An argument could be made for Blair witch, but scream is easily the most important of the decade and truly changed everything after it.

00s: Saw. It’s not my fav movie of the decade but it’s the most influential, most lucrative, and changed everything after it. Before Saw, horror was in a timid spot. All the scream imitators were so focused on recapturing that vibe they forgot to make it grissly and it became very WBish. Saw announced it was cool to be gory again and really visceral.

And it also had some serious commentary about how we viewed violence post Iraq and compared with the images we were getting on tv. Without Saw, no hostel, no collector, shyt no anything from that decade for the most part.

10s: I wanted to say paranormal activity but that’s acrually 09 and the more I thought about it, it’s probably a tie between insidious and the conjuring. Both ushered in the era of James wan, insidious out Blumhouse on the map, and the conjuring universe thing they’re doing is the most successful horror we’ve got going today and in quite some time. A long time.

But those are my feelings. Add on

Great picks. I still have not been able to sit through one of the Saw films yet. I just...can't. But you're right it influence so many movies after it.

This was hard, and I cheated on several. Here's my picks:

1950's- "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" because its still influencing movies

1960's- Three way tie between "Psycho", "Night of the Living Dead", and "The Thing", because they're all still influencing the way stories about crazy serial killers, zombies, and alien films are told

1970's - IMPOSSIBLE to nail down to one single film because this is when we really started seeing sub-genres of horror emerging. I'm gonna cheat and pick a winner for each sub-genre: "Halloween" for the creepy stalker serial killer that finds you no matter where you are, "Jaws" for man against nature horror, "The Exorcist" for religious/demon/satanic horror, and "Alien" for extraterrestrial horror

1980's- This is probably biased because I love King and Kubrick, but I pick "The Shining". It's probably one of the first arthouse type of allegory horror flicks where the scary thing represents a psychological struggle that man battles every day. I think an argument could be made for "Poltergeist" or "Nightmare on Elm Street" though.

1990's- "The Blair Witch Project". Whether you liked it or not, it launched an entire genre. This is also where we see the emergence of another weird hybrid category of horror focused on grotesque real life crime like "Se7en" and "Silence of the Lambs" but I really don't know what to do with those movies.

00's - Either "The Ring" because afterwards we got a bunch of movies about ill-fated and tragic kids that go on to haunt and kill. An argument can also be made for "Saw" because of it's influence on a lot of tv shows and films. I still can't watch this series though.

10's- "The Conjuring" I guess? Just because of the sheer amount of hype it generated and it spawned a whole series of movies that are still doing very well.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Night of the Living Dead getting NO love
:francis:

I said 70s and @NobodyReally took it further which is cool:russ: she went to the 50s. Night of the living dead is 60s homie

But once again...same thing I told @Ghostwriter make your own list.

That’s how we make a discussion happen breh. Have at it

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Great picks. I still have not been able to sit through one of the Saw films yet. I just...can't. But you're right it influence so many movies after it.

This was hard, and I cheated on several. Here's my picks:

1950's- "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" because its still influencing movies

1960's- Three way tie between "Psycho", "Night of the Living Dead", and "The Thing", because they're all still influencing the way stories about crazy serial killers, zombies, and alien films are told

1970's - IMPOSSIBLE to nail down to one single film because this is when we really started seeing sub-genres of horror emerging. I'm gonna cheat and pick a winner for each sub-genre: "Halloween" for the creepy stalker serial killer that finds you no matter where you are, "Jaws" for man against nature horror, "The Exorcist" for religious/demon/satanic horror, and "Alien" for extraterrestrial horror

1980's- This is probably biased because I love King and Kubrick, but I pick "The Shining". It's probably one of the first arthouse type of allegory horror flicks where the scary thing represents a psychological struggle that man battles every day. I think an argument could be made for "Poltergeist" or "Nightmare on Elm Street" though.

1990's- "The Blair Witch Project". Whether you liked it or not, it launched an entire genre. This is also where we see the emergence of another weird hybrid category of horror focused on grotesque real life crime like "Se7en" and "Silence of the Lambs" but I really don't know what to do with those movies.

00's - Either "The Ring" because afterwards we got a bunch of movies about ill-fated and tragic kids that go on to haunt and kill. An argument can also be made for "Saw" because of it's influence on a lot of tv shows and films. I still can't watch this series though.

10's- "The Conjuring" I guess? Just because of the sheer amount of hype it generated and it spawned a whole series of movies that are still doing very well.

I think what knocks se7en and silence of the lambs from an influence standpoint, is they’d been done before. There was a template for those movies and they were just cop stories with a tilt towards horror

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
I gotta throw Dead Alive (Brain Dead) into the mix.
That shyt was the epitome of classic gore!
I think homie that directed that was the Lord of the Rings guy.
When lil baby zombie ripped outa that ladies face!!!
:banderas:

The guy getting his lower body getting ripped off!

So many disgusting scenes!

"I kick ass for the lord!!!"

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County

Breh lol you know you’re supposed to make a list of flicks right?

SheriffOG

All Star
Daps
Reppin
South London
I'd put in Paranormal Activity as a candidate for the 00's it gets a lot of hate but i personally love the series.

I feel it also pushed a large scale production into "found footage" horror movies which i also love and think are the pinnacle of modern horror in terms of getting scared.

Blair witch as OP mentioned was one of the OGs for this genre but the story link between the Paranormal Movies (Plus i love horror movies about rituals n demonic shyt :yeshrug:) just makes it :wow: for me. Salute.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I'd put in Paranormal Activity as a candidate for the 00's it gets a lot of hate but i personally love the series.

I feel it also pushed a large scale production into "found footage" horror movies which i also love and think are the pinnacle of modern horror in terms of getting scared.

Blair witch as OP mentioned was one of the OGs for this genre but the story link between the Paranormal Movies (Plus i love horror movies about rituals n demonic shyt :yeshrug:) just makes it :wow: for me. Salute.

I thought about putting it on my 00 section but it’s a close runner up to Saw. Saw was huge and hugely important. I like more paranormal movies than saw movies but I can’t argue with saws impact on horror.

Also where’s your list dammit

SheriffOG

All Star
Daps
Reppin
South London
I thought about putting it on my 00 section but it’s a close runner up to Saw. Saw was huge and hugely important. I like more paranormal movies than saw movies but I can’t argue with saws impact on horror.

Also where’s your list dammit

Yeah i feel you on that, im not one for gore so i stay away from Saw movies but undeniable impact for sure

Apologies breh, alot of the horror joints i've watched are 90's - 10's and i mainly agree with your list :salute:

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
Night of the Living Dead getting NO love
:francis:

I gave it love, it's tied for me.

LOL! OMG, I seriously had a flashback. And I would put The Evil Dead in that category too.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Yeah i feel you on that, im not one for gore so i stay away from Saw movies but undeniable impact for sure

Apologies breh, alot of the horror joints i've watched are 90's - 10's and i mainly agree with your list :salute:

Lol It’s cool man. Don’t need anyone to agree with my list tho. @NobodyReally has the right idea: make your own list and let’s chop it up.

You haven’t peeped any horror from before the 90s?

SheriffOG

All Star
Daps
Reppin
South London
Lol It’s cool man. Don’t need anyone to agree with my list tho. @NobodyReally has the right idea: make your own list and let’s chop it up.

You haven’t peeped any horror from before the 90s?

I've peeped a few but off the top of my head i'll pick a top 3 cause i'm an indecisive guy :lupe:

70's Top 3: Carrie :whoa:, The Exorcist, Omen

80's top 3: Child's Play, Nightmare on Elm St:sadcam:, The Thing

90's Top 3: Blair Witch Project, Candyman:damn:, Silence of the lambs

00's Top3: Paranormal Activity:banderas:, Wolf Creek, [REC]

Bonus:
Noroi: The Curse (BREHS THIS shyt RIGHT HERE. Watch dat tonight)

10's Top 3:
The Conjuring :whoo:, The VVitch, The Babadook :lawd:

Salute Breh