What’s The Most Important Horror Flick By Decade?

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
I gave it love, it's tied for me.

LOL! OMG, I seriously had a flashback. And I would put The Evil Dead in that category too.
One of my homeboys let me hold the VHS of Dead Alive uncut back in the day.
I was
literally in my room like
:merchant:

But it was funny too tho!
When the uncle homie chopped up all them zombies and there was like a pile of limbs and shyt behind him!
:deadmanny:

The zombie baby scenes!
:pachaha:

I can never look at scrambled eggs the same again tho.
:beli:

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I've peeped a few but off the top of my head i'll pick a top 3 cause i'm an indecisive guy :lupe:

70's Top 3: Carrie :whoa:, The Exorcist, Omen

80's top 3: Child's Play, Nightmare on Elm St:sadcam:, The Thing

90's Top 3: Blair Witch Project, Candyman:damn:, Silence of the lambs

00's Top3: Paranormal Activity:banderas:, Wolf Creek, [REC]

Bonus:
Noroi: The Curse (BREHS THIS shyt RIGHT HERE. Watch dat tonight)

10's Top 3:
The Conjuring :whoo:, The VVitch, The Babadook :lawd:

Salute Breh

Step into the horror thread on here homie. You’ll get an education. I guarantee it

Doomsday

Superstar
Daps
Paranormal Activity is just Blair Witch done right. Blair Witch was more potential than execution.

I'd say Nightmare is the most important because it influenced all the "shock" horror that would come after it. No horror before tried to be weird and shocking, even Saw took that formula, but was witter and smarter in it's execution. Even Japanese horror movies took that blueprint from Nightmare. Nightmare arguably influenced the majority of horror flicks just like Hitchcock did for thrillers.

Exorcist for making horror movies mainstream, and Nightmare on Elm Street was the most influential.

BlackMafia

Superstar
Daps
70s The Exorcist - Classic GOAT
80s The Shining - Classic GOAT
90s The Silence of The Lambs/ The Sixth Sense
2000s Final Destination - 1st horror I saw in 3D. The roller coaster one. Love them all and the originality the first one brought to the genre. Also the Saw movies.
2010s Get Out - Most replay value imo. and also The Purge.

Last edited:

Starboy52

Superstar
Daps
60s: Psycho
70s: Halloween/Exorcist
80s: Nightmare on Elm St.
90s: Candyman/Scream
00s: Paranormal Activity
10s: The Conjuring/Get Out

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Paranormal Activity is just Blair Witch done right. Blair Witch was more potential than execution.

I'd say Nightmare is the most important because it influenced all the "shock" horror that would come after it. No horror before tried to be weird and shocking, even Saw took that formula, but was witter and smarter in it's execution. Even Japanese horror movies took that blueprint from Nightmare. Nightmare arguably influenced the majority of horror flicks just like Hitchcock did for thrillers.

Exorcist for making horror movies mainstream, and Nightmare on Elm Street was the most influential.
Disagree that no horror flick tried to shock before nightmare. Texas chain saw, psycho (for the time) and of course even Cravens own last house on the left all tried to shock the audience into paralysis lol

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
90s The Silence of The Lambs
2000s Final Destination - 1st horror I saw in 3D. The roller coaster one. Love them all and the originality the first one brought to the genre.
2010s Get Out - Most replay value imo.

So you’re giving it to final destination for the 3D?

Doomsday

Superstar
Daps
Disagree that no horror flick tried to shock before nightmare. Texas chain saw, psycho (for the time) and of course even Cravens own last house on the left all tried to shock the audience into paralysis lol

Psycho was a smart thriller with a brilliant twist. Texas Chain Saw was typical horror, not really "shock" horror at all.

Also we're including who executed it to point of setting the standard. As I said, Blair Witch did it first but PA set the standard because their movie was actually good.

Nightmare actually blended shock with horror flawlessly and is the most duplicated blueprint for a horror film to date.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
90s The Silence of The Lambs
2000s Final Destination - 1st horror I saw in 3D. The roller coaster one. Love them all and the originality the first one brought to the genre.
2010s Get Out - Most replay value imo.
Final Destination 3 was released in 3D?

Last edited:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Psycho was a smart thriller with a brilliant twist. Texas Chain Saw was typical horror, not really "shock" horror at all.

Also we're including who executed it to point of setting the standard. As I said, Blair Witch did it first but PA set the standard because their movie was actually good.

Nightmare actually blended shock with horror flawlessly and is the most duplicated blueprint for a horror film to date.

How do you define shock then? Because Hitchcock himself has said he wanted to shock audiences with psycho. Craven said the same with last house on the left.

So yeah define shock for me cause we may be on two different wavelengths

BlackMafia

Superstar
Daps
So you’re giving it to final destination for the 3D?
Naw. FD series helped reboot the teen horror genre like Scream did in the 90s. Made horror fun again imo. And the concept was original. I think it ties with the Saw series, but I haven't seen all of the Saw movies so I didnt put Saw on my list.