What age were you when your career "took off"?

Tapp

All Star
Daps
I'm 24 rn and I feel so behind where I want to be. What age do you feel like your career started gaining traction and what events lead up to it? Also how many shtty/underemployed jobs did you work before you felt your compensation was on par with your skill set?

SnowflakesByTheOZ

Sorry, that's another B
Daps
Same here man, 24. Unemployed UNI graduate, it's tough sometimes but I think it's more important to know what field you want to get into. No age is too late if you're doing what you love to do and you'll have a sense of direction. I don't think 24 is too late at all. Do you have kids ? If you don't have kids or debt from college or uni it's just a matter of finding your passion

Tapp

All Star
Daps
No kids but I got all the debt breh, I don't really know what I'm interested in and I need to stay at my current job so my resume doesn't look like I leave jobs quickly

Same here man, 24. Unemployed UNI graduate, it's tough sometimes but I think it's more important to know what field you want to get into. No age is too late if you're doing what you love to do and you'll have a sense of direction. I don't think 24 is too late at all. Do you have kids ? If you don't have kids or debt from college or uni it's just a matter of finding your passion

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Meh, yall are still young.

Mine didn't really go anywhere until my late 20s, before that I was bouncing around BS helpdesk jobs making $15-16/hr. Got my foot in door with a "real" salaried job at 27 and them got a promotion at 29. I'd say anybody under 30 has plenty of time.

Tapp

All Star
Daps
Meh, yall are still young.

Mine didn't really go anywhere until my late 20s, before that I was bouncing around BS helpdesk jobs making $15-16/hr. Got my foot in door with a "real" salaried job at 27 and them got a promotion at 29. I'd say anybody under 30 has plenty of time.
Thanks breh, I guess I feel like if I don't start popn rn I might never will or something. Definitely reassuring to hear that.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps

Going from $12 an hour to $28 an hour +OT was.........something else :wow:

Studied my ass off to get my A+ Certification, Had a meeting with my manager and she was telling me how if I wanted to be there for more years what I needed to do, that was the exact opposite of what I wanted so I quit the next week and started hitting Indeed and Dice hard AF then that offer came in :blessed:

Got my first apartment shortly thereafter and it's been on ever since :lawd:

Hijo de luna

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#ADOS
I'm 24 rn and I feel so behind where I want to be. What age do you feel like your career started gaining traction and what events lead up to it? Also how many shtty/underemployed jobs did you work before you felt your compensation was on par with your skill set?
I was that dude that it took 10 years to get a bachelors. I worked in a hot ass warehouse for 7 of those years while going to school. I graduated when I was 29. Took me a year to land my first Accounting gig(shyt is hard to get your foot in the door). Brehs in the warehouse was clowning me for having a degree and couldn't get a job. Finally broke through and landed my first job in Finance. After 3 years of stagnation, no upward mobility whatsoever I was more depressed than I was at the warehouse. Everybody I started with got promoted to a bigger division but my black ass. Finance is on that :mjpls:. But what ended up happening is I became the go-to guy for the small division. I was training the new hires, shaping policy the way I saw fit and the boss gave me the freedom since they were focusing on much larger customers in the bigger division. This instantly made my job more enjoyable and I started liking coming to work again. We had a lot of turnover my small division because it didn't pay shyt. After a round of promotions they needed a supervisor in the small division still so they hired an old white guy. Yeah, I trained my supervisor. But we got along well. He ended up landing better job after like 6 months but he wanted to get a copy of my resume before he left. I emailed him a copy. A few weeks later I get a call from a hiring manager wanting to meet with me. Old guy had sent him my resume and I had the job before I walked into the interview. It was basically 15 minutes of small talk and an offer. 60% pay raise just like that.

Two things:

1) Your money doesn't grow linearly during your career. All it takes is the right opportunity and you can double your current salary overnight. It happens.

2) Your mind has to be in the right place for it to come. Be thankful for where you are. Never compare yourself to others who are on a different path.

TL;dr chill the fukk out. You're fine. Enjoy the process. Read The Alchemist

Last edited:

Tapp

All Star
Daps
I was that dude that it took 10 years to get a bachelors. I worked in a hot ass warehouse for 7 of those years while going to school. I graduated when I was 29. Took me a year to land my first Accounting gig(shyt is hard to get your foot in the door). Brehs in the warehouse was clowning me for having a degree and couldn't get a job. Finally broke through and landed my first job in Finance. After 3 years of stagnation, no upward mobility whatsoever I was more depressed than I was at the warehouse. Everybody I started with got promoted to a bigger division but my black ass. Finance is on that :mjpls:. But what ended up happening is I became the go-to guy for the small division. I was training the new hires, shaping policy the way I saw fit and the boss gave me the freedom since they were focusing on much larger customers in the bigger division. This instantly made my job more enjoyable and I started liking coming to work again. We had a lot of turnover my small division because it didn't pay shyt. After a round of promotions they needed a supervisor in the small division still so they hired an old white guy. Yeah, I trained my supervisor. But we got along well. He ended up landing better job after like 6 months but he wanted to get a copy of my resume before he left. I emailed him a copy. A few weeks later I get a call from a hiring manager wanting to meet with me. Old guy had sent him my resume and I had the job before I walked into the interview. It was basically 15 minutes of small talk and an offer. 60% pay raise just like that.

Two things:

1) Your money doesn't grow linearly during your career. All it takes is the right opportunity and you can double your current salary overnight. It happens.

2) Your mind has to be in the right place for it to come. Be thankful for where you are. Never compare yourself to others who are on a different path.

TL;dr chill the fukk out. You're fine. Enjoy the process. Read The Alchemist
Dam brehs, good shyt breh:ohhh::salute:
Your prospective definitely helps