What are the ingredients that go into a good Horror Movie?

Daps
I asked this because i saw that preview for the new "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" movie and i feel like the director said...

"lets just get a young R&B superstar, a bunch of no named actors, blood, gore, and a 3D camera then we all can :eat:"

:beli:

TheNig

Dr.TheNig DDS
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brolic... Alcoholics
Nothing. They're the most horrible genre of movies

I tell people all the time that the scariest movie I've ever seen is Black Swan . I will never watch that shyt again. Just did something to me.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
My favorite type of horror movie would include this formula: a group of characters (all given enough development time to be seen as actual 3-dimensional people and not just cannon fodder); in a centralized location (preferably one that they cannot easily leave); being picked off by a monster/zombies/slasher until the main protaganist (who has to be charismatic) is left to face the monster/zombies/slasher alone.

That fits everything from Dawn of the Dead to Friday the 13th to Predator and if done right makes a nearly perfect horror movie in my estimation.

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
Nothing. They're the most horrible genre of movies

I tell people all the time that the scariest movie I've ever seen is Black Swan . I will never watch that shyt again. Just did something to me.

Brought back bad memories of your ballerina days, huh. Sorry to hear that.

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
For one thing, the overly used cliches need to be abandoned. Tripping when running, car not starting,
Bad character development so u dont give a rats ass when someone dies etc..

Direction style can earn a horror movie a win, good script isnt always needed, nor is gore. Just plain old good directing, tension, mystery and t*ts.

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
For me it's

-'R' Rating: PG-13 is 13 for a reason. Horror catered to kids, cheesy effects and loaded with stingers. We off that. I need horror that incorporates adult fear, shyt that goes deep, something I've never even thought about and has me paralyzed in seat scared and disgusted.

-Genuine Creepiness: the kind that makes you think about the movie walking in the dark or when you're about to go sleep long after you've seen the film.

-Paranoia

-No cliches: :stopitslime: Like when the minority gets killed first. Or the last survivor happens to be a female. :beli:

-Interesting characters: when all the characters are lame it diminishes the film. A horror isn't that good when you don't care about the characters and would just like to see all of them get killed.

Crakface

Daps
Reppin
L.A
Gore, atmosphere, realistic characters, good acting, villain you feel you could come across in real life.

SuikodenII

Where's Suikoden VI??????
Daps
No cheap jump scares...

...there's absolutely nothing scary about them and do not have any effect on repeated viewings

Poppa_Dock

:gladlebron:
Daps
Reppin
Banana Town
ppl need to watch the excorist to see wot makes a movie actually scary

lots of subliminal stuff happens, if it uses a sound to represent a feeling then the actor/actress doesn't make that big of a physical response but looks more shocked and like a real person would react, if they use a big physical response to represent a feeling or scary action then they take the sound out. This makes those suspense moments extra creepy and awkward.

Too many horror movies show something creepy, with loud music and with lots of expression in the actors faces and the film is basically saying "LOOK, A SCARY PART"

the excorist had scenes left out because of how scary and subliminal they were, like the faces on the walls when the mother is walking through the house, they appear like brad pitt does throughout the movie Fight Club, just quick flashes, they took those out in the original theatre release bc they were too mindfukking.
Also the scene where she walks down the stairs, it just happens with a loud shriek of music, and the mother has a blank horrified stare on looking like "WTF!" then the scene ends and it goes to the next day without explaining wtf you just saw, or why you saw it.