What do you guys think makes a classic rap album?

Guvnor

Da Speculative Spectacle®
Daps
Reppin
BKLYN
Re play value is a really important part of it
That's debatable though, some albums your not gonna play every day but they are the type of classic you got to let gather dust before you can enjoy it again. Other albums are the type of albums that you may have had to had been around at that time to enjoy because once the sound changes the younger generation may not understand it as much.

Bugsmoran

Double HipHop O.G.
Daps
That's debatable though, some albums your not gonna play every day but they are the type of classic you got to let gather dust before you can enjoy it again. Other albums are the type of albums that you may have had to had been around at that time to enjoy because once the sound changes the younger generation may not understand it as much.
What's some examples of this?

name some albums u think are classics but don't have re play value to u

Guvnor

Daps
Reppin
BKLYN
if it has a Blu feature or is a Blu album, and/or is a kanye west album.
Blu has only one classic album. Though Bad Neighbor could have been one if MED ain't spit on it so much.

What's some examples of this?

name some albums u think are classics but don't have re play value to u
Well tbh Damn might be one of those, I love Damn but can't play it everyday. To Pimp A Butterfly imo is also one of these. Good Kid Maad City is like that to me, Be by Common is like that to me and there are others.

When it say it doesn't have replay value, I'm saying you wouldn't play it front to back everyday. You put it down then pick it back up again at a later time.

Bugsmoran

Double HipHop O.G.
Daps
Well tbh Damn might be one of those, I love Damn but can't play it everyday. To Pimp A Butterfly imo is also one of these. Good Kid Maad City is like that to me, Be by Common is like that to me and there are others.

When it say it doesn't have replay value, I'm saying you wouldn't play it front to back everyday. You put it down then pick it back up again at a later time.
if it doesn't have re play value it's probably not a real classic
:manny:

Paid in Full came out 30 years ago and I still bump that...

It's cool if u don't play the album everyday... most people eventually get tired of hearing the same songs all the time but that doesn't mean it ain't got re play value. You're gonna give it a break then start playing it again

Killigraphy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NYC black coffee tough guys aka the Stoozy Boys
For one; a few smacker singles. It needs to be heavy and played everywhere. K-Dot's "DAMN." does this easily. As did the Chronic.

Skippable tracks are acceptable, I know I've skipped plenty of Pac songs on several albums...still the good needs to outweigh the bad.

Sonically, it needs to follow a theme. 2Pac was bad at this, but because he was so varied, it made up for it. On the other hand, J.Cole is known for staying on theme sometimes, too much...we get it, you miss her, you don't need an entire album about her. This of course leads up to the third thing..beats. If it sounds like hot garbage, it doesn't matter what kind of silk you cover it up with, it'll only be good to the purists. Nas is infamous for this. Horrible beats outweighing the good.

C-Styles

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Windy City
For one; a few smacker singles. It needs to be heavy and played everywhere. K-Dot's "DAMN." does this easily. As did the Chronic.

Skippable tracks are acceptable, I know I've skipped plenty of Pac songs on several albums...still the good needs to outweigh the bad.

Sonically, it needs to follow a theme. 2Pac was bad at this, but because he was so varied, it made up for it. On the other hand, J.Cole is known for staying on theme sometimes, too much...we get it, you miss her, you don't need an entire album about her. This of course leads up to the third thing..beats. If it sounds like hot garbage, it doesn't matter what kind of silk you cover it up with, it'll only be good to the purists. Nas is infamous for this. Horrible beats outweighing the good.

When are we going to disqualify this MYTH??!! Nas has PLENTY of CLASSIC joints with some of the best production! :gucci:

C-Styles

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Windy City
I wanna know why most of the "Classics" have to be straight up serious no fun. Like is it VOODOO to have a COMMERCIAL CLASSIC?? I don't care what anyone says "Harlem World" and "Country Grammar" are CLASSICS cuz of the impact it had commercially. Sh*t you might wanna add Drake's "Take care" as another, because the impact was too big to ignore. Plus the joints were there as well.

fReShBeAtS

May da funk be wit cha
Daps
I would add Videos. In the 90s u always had dope videos to the single tracks. It was like the videos oft the Singles Were like the Entry to the albums. The visuals made u wanna Grab that thing to bump the shyt out oft it. So i Gitta say pickin the right Singles and makin some stand out videos to it adds to the hole package.

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
Cultural impact and universal concession of high quality. High quality usually consists of a display of elite MC skills from the artist (yes lyricism for all you "fukk lyrical miracle nikkas" though this is trumped if the artist is elite at EVERYTHING else), quality production, and subject matter that is diverse enough to keep you entertained yet uniform enough to be cohesive.

Though only a dozen people will hear it I'm trying to craft one myself.

Guvnor

Daps
Reppin
BKLYN
Again, longevity seems a lil too subjective because only those who were there when it came out may get it. The next generation may not get it or may have to sit with it for awhile and learn the history.
I would add Videos. In the 90s u always had dope videos to the single tracks. It was like the videos oft the Singles Were like the Entry to the albums. The visuals made u wanna Grab that thing to bump the shyt out oft it. So i Gitta say pickin the right Singles and makin some stand out videos to it adds to the hole package.
Videos? nah bro. Those days are dead though back then that definitely helped with presentation.

Sukairain

Shahenshah
Daps
Reppin
Straiya
Good points have already been mentioned. What's really important to me is skip tracks, a truly perfect album will have none and I have yet to hear an album where there isn't at least one skip track. The Chronic comes closest - I only skip The $20 Sack Pyramid and The Doctor's Office (:scusthov:) but they're skits not songs.

So although nothing's perfect there's plenty of legendary albums.

Another important point is I don't go by rep, for me to consider something a classic I have to enjoy it. I don't particularly like Amerikkka's Most Wanted by Ice Cube for example, even though for many people that is one of the all time great albums, I just don't fukk with it so I don't consider it a classic :yeshrug:

phatphuck

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
acceptance by the general public. by that i mean different age groups, the media (unfortunately), other artists and industry heads, etc.