What happened to the heel/a$$hole commenters

stro

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Indiana
You can't have that now because Vince's idea of what it should be now is non stop incessant annoying a$$hole that detracts from the show. See:

Coleminer era Michael Cole
JBL in his second commentary run
Corey Graves in the past year or two when they dialed up the heel part and it became unbearable

Somewhere along the line Vince's idea of heel commentator just became a guy who yells and argues nonstop.

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps
I heard Vince just doesn’t want that anymore, they say he doesn’t want to tell the audience who to cheer or boo anymore. Of course that’s bullshyt but he doesn’t want heel commentators anymore

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
You can't have that now because Vince's idea of what it should be now is non stop incessant annoying a$$hole that detracts from the show. See:

Coleminer era Michael Cole
JBL in his second commentary run
Corey Graves in the past year or two when they dialed up the heel part and it became unbearable

Somewhere along the line Vince's idea of heel commentator just became a guy who yells and argues nonstop.

This is literally the description of all the heel commentators people claim to miss... those guys were all obnoxious and over the top, argued illogically, went to any level to root for the bad guy and antagonize the play by play guy. People don't like those kinds of commentators anymore, truth told... they tried the 'true heel commentator' in recent years and folks complained about every single one of 'em.

This is in no way saying Graves or Cole are anywhere near Ventura or Heenan... but it's not like Ventura and Heenan were there to contribute a voice of reason, they were there to be a$$holes. If they had someone be an a$$hole on commentary like Ventura was, I think A) people wouldn't know how to take it, B) older people would just compare them to Ventura every chance they got, and C) some people would bytch about how insulting and offensive they are.