What happens in Florida stays in Florida (wishful thinking) (updated with fukkery)

diggy

Florida Man
Supporter
Daps
Are there seriously stray gators in Florida? :dwillhuh:

11-foot gator captured, euthanized after being spotted by firefighters in Miami
imagejpeg_0.jpg

MIAMI (WSVN) - A group of firefighters worked well into the night to ensure an 11-foot alligator that was lurking around a Miami neighborhood was captured, but due to safety concerns, the creature was euthanized.

The Miami Fire Rescue crew had noticed something strange during their drive back to the station near Northwest 13th Street and 37th Avenue, just after 11 p.m., Friday.

At first, the crew thought the reptile was an unconscious person.

“As they got closer, they noticed that this was not a person but actually an 11-foot alligator,” said Miami Fire Rescue Capt. Ignatius Carroll.

Area resident Enrique Diaz was among the residents who spotted the large reptile. When asked what he plans to tell his classmates when he returns to school on Monday, he replied, “Uhh, guys? I think i just saw an alligator at my house.”

City of Miami Police responded to the scene and contacted the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission to assist in capturing the animal.

Over the course of the next hour, the alligator kept moving.

“Alligators are known to be dangerous, especially something that’s 11 foot,” said Carroll.

“It started to move step by step, really slow,” said Diaz.

“I was scared. I thought it would come into our house because that gate was open,” said area resident Aaron Diaz.

Meanwhile, crews ensured no one got too close to the scaly visitor.

“For about an hour, they monitored this alligator, along with Miami Police, as it continued to make its way further into the residential neighborhood,” said Miami Fire Rescue Capt. Ignatius Carroll.

Fortunately, officials said, the animal’s sluggish movements enabled them to keep the situation under control.

“The alligator was moving somewhat slowly, so we’re not sure exactly why, but that worked in our favor because we were able to monitor him until the trapper could arrive,” said Carroll.

Officials finally jumped in after the alligator settled in an elderly couple’s backyard.

“When the alligator made its way into the backyard we realized that the alligator was contained momentarily, at which time the trapper arrived and was able to at least rope the alligator,” said Carroll.

The reptile put up a fight, and unfortunately, officials said, the weather conditions that night put trappers’ safety in jeopardy.

“The ground is wet, the alligator is wet. He didn’t want to take a chance, so the trapper made the decision to put the alligator down,” said Carroll.

Neighbors expressed their gratitude toward first responders for keeping them safe.

diggy

Florida Man
Supporter
Daps
Calls for action, protests after BSO deputy’s takedown of teen sparks national outcry

Calls for action, protests after BSO deputy’s takedown of teen sparks national outcry

NEAR FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (WSVN) — Public figures and community leaders are demanding swift action from the Broward County sheriff days after cellphone video footage showing a deputy body slamming a 15-year-old during an arrest in Tamarac sparked a national outcry and a protest outside the Broward Sheriff’s Office headquarters.

The video showing the rough arrest of 15-year-old DeLucca Rolle by BSO deputies outside a McDonald’s near J.P. Taravella High School, Thursday afternoon, went viral and garnered extensive media coverage.

Former Miami Heat star LeBron James weighed in on the incident, tweeting, “So wrong!! Hurts me to my soul!! To think that could be my sons. Scary times, man.”

Monday evening, protesters holding up #JusticeForLucca signs gathered outside BSO headquarters near Fort Lauderdale to stage a demonstration.

“No justice, no peace,” chanted demonstrators.

Demonstrators called for the arrest and termination of Christopher Krickovich, the deputy who was captured in the video slamming the teen’s head against the McDonald’s parking lot pavement.

“This officer needs to be held accountable for his disgusting actions, his racist movements,” said Antoine Edwards. “It’s despicable and it’s disgusting, and we will be out here until he is terminated and arrested.”

The footage shows Rolle picking up a cellphone in front of BSO Sgt. Greg LaCerra, who is seen saying something to the teen before he pepper-sprayed the student.

In a phone interview, BSO Deputies’ Association President Jeff Bell said LaCerra did nothing wrong.

“If you slow down the video, the juvenile does take a step back, then takes a step forward toward the deputy. We’re not gonna wait to be hit by anybody,” said Bell, “so the deputy pepper-spraying him and then taking him to the ground was absolutely the correct thing to do.”

Broward County Mayor Mark Bogen said Rolle did not resist arrest and believes LaCerra was in the wrong.

“Anybody who looks at the video knows what the officer did was absolutely inappropriate,” he said.

Moments after he was pepper-sprayed, Krickovich is seen grabbing Rolle. The video shows that deputy pressing down on the teen’s neck with both hands, then hitting his head against the pavement. Krickovich is then seen hitting the student in the head.

Rolle’s family has hired high-profile attorney Benjaming Crump to oversee the case.

Bell said that despite Rolle having already been pepper-sprayed and tackled to the ground, Krickovich’s actions were justified.

“The deputy did not push his head down toward the ground until the juvenile put his hands in a position as if he was going to do a push-up and try and push up against the deputy,” said Bell.

But Broward Chief Assistant Public Defender Gordon Weekes disagreed with Bell’s assessment.

“You cannot take a child and bang his head on the floor, and then try to claim that you were trying to get his attention, trying to use a tactical response,” said Weekes. “What you’re trying to do is cover up your misconduct.”

Weekes said Krickovich should face charges.

“It was a heavy-handed display of police misconduct, and that accountability should include termination,” he said. “It should include severe repercussions, and it probably should include a review of criminal charges being brought against that officer.”

Meeting with local black leaders over the weekend, Broward Sheriff Gregory Tony came to Krickovich’s defense.

“Anytime a white deputy is involved in contact and using force with the black youth, this thing blows up, OK?” said Tony. “How we handle that from an administrative standpoint has to be tactical, very tactical. There’s been a large cry of, ‘Just go out and fire him and get rid of him,’ and all these other things. Folks, it doesn’t work that way. You all understand that. There has to be an investigative process.”

Krickovich has been placed on administrative leave. The State Attorney’s Office continues to investigate the incident.

Last edited:

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
“Anytime a white deputy is involved in contact and using force with the black youth, this thing blows up, OK?” said Tony. “How we handle that from an administrative standpoint has to be tactical, very tactical. There’s been a large cry of, ‘Just go out and fire him and get rid of him,’ and all these other things. Folks, it doesn’t work that way. You all understand that. There has to be an investigative process.

Bullshyt!!! :beli: when its a black cop killing a white kid they get arrested and prosecuted quick fast, these fukkers are LYING!!! :pacspit: y'all remember that case down south where that black and hispanic cop shot at that white man who was fleeing and they shot and killed his son in the backseat???

THEY WAS ARRESTED THE SAME fukkING DAY!!! :wtf: stop y'all lies...

diggy

Florida Man
Supporter
Daps
George Zimmerman banned from Tinder dating app

Associated Press

MIAMI (AP) — The ex-neighborhood watch volunteer who killed an unarmed black teen in Florida in 2012 has been banned from the dating app Tinder.

An emailed statement from Tinder cited users’ safety as a reason for removing George Zimmerman’s profile.

An article by Tampa, Florida, weekly Creative Loafing says Zimmerman used a fake name on the dating app.

Zimmerman was acquitted in the shooting of Trayvon Martin on the grounds of self-defense.

He has had several run-ins with the law, including a 2015 arrest after he was accused of throwing a wine bottle at his girlfriend. The case was dropped.

In November he entered a no contest plea to resolve a charge of stalking a private investigator associated with a documentary on Martin.

diggy

Florida Man
Supporter
Daps
Body camera video captures BSO deputy punching suspect handcuffed to hospital bed

POMPANO BEACH, FLA. (WSVN) - The Broward Public Defender’s Office is accusing a deputy of using excessive force on a handcuffed suspect.

Broward Sheriff’s Office units were called to a domestic disturbance at a Pompano Beach Walmart back in Jan. 1.

Deputy Jorge Sobrino investigated and subsequently arrested 26-year-old David O’Connell for resisting without violence.

Before being taken to jail, O’Connell was transported to North Broward Medical Center to be evaluated.

That’s where things took a violent turn.

Sobrino’s body camera, which was placed on a nearby table, captured the 26-year-old with one arm handcuffed to the hospital bed.

He appeared to be upset, pointing his arms in the direction of the deputy while shouting.

“Hey, I don’t want to be here. I don’t want to be here. I wanna sign off!” O’Connell is heard yelling. “I wanna sign off!”

Both the deputy and the suspect argue back and forth in a profanity-laced exchange.

The deputy then tales a moment to close the door to the hospital room. As Sobrino comes up close to O’Connell the deputy strikes him.

“I’m not [expletive] touching you!” O’Connell is heard yelling back at the deputy.

O’Connell’s free arm is then put behind his back as he begs for Sobrino to stop.

In an arrest report, Sobrino charged the 26-year-old with battery on a law enforcement officer and claimed that O’Connell pushed him first, and in turn, he felt forced to strike.

Sobrino wrote in his report, “The defendent intentionally placed his hand on my upper chest against my will and pushed me, therefore committing a battery against my person.”

The video, however, appears to show differently, and Sobrino could be heard seemingly admitting to at least one punch.

“Yeah, I just hit you again,” Sobrino could be heard saying in the video.

Prosecutors would later drop the battery charge.

In a letter to BSO Sheriff Gregory Tony, Broward Chief Assistant Public Defender Gordon Weekes demanded an investigation.

“It shows how brazen and how comfortable he is in using this type of force and that he will use it, even when he knows the camera is running,” Weekes said. “I think it’s very clear that this video shows an abuse of power. He clearly wanted to beat up Mr. O’Connell. What’s even worse is that he then manufactured facts in order to arrest him and charge him with battery on a law enforcement officer.”

An investigation behind the deputy’s actions remains under investigation.

BSO released a statement to 7News Wednesday which read, “Our Division of Internal Affairs immediately opened a preliminary investigation after receiving a letter today from the Office of the Public Defender lodging a complaint about use of force during an arrest incident that occurred back on Jan. 1, 2019.”

Broward County Mayor Mark Bogen also released a statement Wednesday regarding the incident.

“There has to be a zero-tolerance policy for abuse and brutality. This is the second time in less than a week, where videotape shows a BSO deputy abusing his power. I am asking the State Attorney’s Office to open a criminal investigation into this as well,” Bogen said.

“What are you going to do about an officer that engages in lying in an official report?” Weekes asked. “Are you going to allow that officer to continue to police this community? That’s the scary part about having to live in a community where police officers feel so emboldened to use excessive force and justify it by making up facts.”

Copyright 2019 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

diggy

Florida Man
Supporter
Daps
Udder shame: Cow statue stolen from Harold Seltzer’s Steakhouse in St. Petersburg
Missing since Saturday, the owners hope their beloved bovine is returned safely and are offering a reward as incentive.

ST. PETERSBURG — One of the cows from Harold Seltzer’s Steakhouse has run astray from the herd and the owners are willing to pay for its return — likely in some form of cow.

According to the St. Petersburg Police Department, the beloved bovine was bagged in broad daylight, missing since 3 p.m. Saturday.

Measuring about 12 feet by 3 feet, the black and white cow is part of a staple herd that’s sat outside the steakhouse’s Tyrone Boulevard location since it opened as Sam Seltzer’s Steakhouse in the mid-90s. The Seltzers told police the statue holds sentimental value and they just want it returned. The owners are offering a reward in the form of a free meal if the cow is returned.

On Facebook, Harold Seltzer said someone got a little carried away trying to ride the cow for a photo op, causing it to come loose. It hadn’t been cemented back into the ground and was standing near the restaurant’s rear entrance. Seltzer also said a similar incident happened in the late-'90s.

Seltzer originally opened the Sam Seltzer’s and named it for his grandfather. After growing the franchise to six locations, Seltzer relinquished control of the company. He took over after the new owners failed to expand and went bankrupt.

Seltzer reopened the St. Pete and Port Richey locations in 2010 as Harold Seltzer’s.

When the chain went bankrupt in 2010, a herd of plastic cattle mysteriously went missing from a shuddered Tampa location.

"We don't know what happened to the cows," Keith Appleby, an attorney representing Sam Seltzer’s, said at the time.

Contact Daniel Figueroa IV at dfigueroa@tampabay.com. Follow @danuscripts.

diggy

Florida Man
Supporter
Daps
Ohio tourist contracts flesh-eating bacteria while in Florida

Ohio tourist contracts flesh-eating bacteria while in Florida

safe_image.php

TAMPA, FLA. (WSVN) - An Ohio man ended up in the hospital after he contracted a deadly flesh-eating bacteria while visiting Florida.

According to WFTS, Barry Briggs visited Florida as part of a boating trip in Tampa with his brother-in-law.

Briggs said his foot started swelling up after the trip, but he was able to fly back home to Ohio before being rushed to the hospital.

While at the hospital, Briggs was diagnosed with narcotizing fasciitis, or a flesh eating infection. Doctors believe the infection was caused by vibrio vulnificus, a bacterium found in saltwater.

Briggs nearly lost his foot to the disease, but luckily, doctors were able to save it.

“Once this thing took off, and it takes off quickly apparently, it was going one inch an hour up my leg,” Briggs said. “I’m incredibly fortunate to have all my toes, to have my foot, to be alive.”

Briggs isn’t the only one to make headlines for contracting a flesh-eating bacteria. Just last week, a Florida fisherman made the news for the very same condition after he nearly lost his hand.

The Centers for Disease Control say there are 700 to 1200 cases like this a year in the United States. However, they believe it is also under-reported.

diggy

Florida Man
Supporter
Daps
18-year-old allegedly throws knife at mother after confrontation about marijuana

Samantha Branca

SUNNY ISLES BEACH, FLA. (WSVN) - An 18-year-old has been arrested after she allegedly threw a knife at her mother who confronted her about having marijuana.

Emily Frishman was arrested on Sunday and charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

According to the arrest report, Frishman was confronted by her parents about having marijuana before she grabbed two knives from the kitchen and went to her room.

Her mother said she went to her daughter’s door and asked her, “Why are you acting crazy?”

Frishman allegedly opened the door and threw one of the knives at her mother, but the victim moved out of the way in time for the knife to miss her.

The 18-year-old told an officer that she tossed the knife but did not aim it at her mother, according to the arrest report.

She is currently being held on a $5,000 bond.

diggy

Florida Man
Supporter
Daps
Coral Springs Police detective recorded kicking handcuffed suspect involved in another incident caught on camera

Brian Entin | Daniel Cohen

safe_image.php

(WSVN) - A Coral Springs detective is under criminal investigation after he was caught on camera kicking a handcuffed man, and now, 7News has uncovered video of the same officer involved in another disturbing incident. The Nightteam’s Brian Entin has our special assignment report: “Tale of the Tape.”

It’s a troubling takedown.

A Coral Springs Police detective kicking a shoplifting suspect while he is handcuffed.

It’s hard to see, so watch again. A bystander caught the kick on camera.

Witness: “He kicked him in the head straight to his face.”

Coral Springs Police say the suspect stole soda and candy from a nearby store, and they say he fought back when they tried to arrest him.

When the handcuffed man was moved to the curb, Detective Sandy Gomez kicked him.

The suspect later told police he had bipolar disorder and schizophrenia.

Officer Chris Swinson, Coral Springs Police, December 2018: “Chief Parry said yesterday he was concerned about what he viewed.”

Detective Gomez was placed on leave in December.

And now, 7News has uncovered a new video of Gomez from a different case.

A video involving another man with mental illness.

Officer Sandy Gomez, Coral Springs Police booking room video, April 25, 2017: “Sit the (expletive) down! Sit down! How many times do I have to tell you?”

A Coral Springs Police surveillance camera captured this moment back in April 2017.

Officer Gomez walks the suspect into the booking room but gets angry and pushes the man down.

Video: “Sit down! How many times do I have to tell you?”

When the police chief saw the video, he opened an investigation.

Video: “How many times do I have to tell you?”

We found the man in the video at his Coral Springs house.

Brian Entin: “Are you allowed to come out any farther or no?”

He wanted to talk but had to keep one foot in the doorway because of his electronic ankle monitor.

This was his first time seeing the video.

Christopher Lasky, pushed by officer: “Oh, I think it’s over-aggressive.”

Brian Entin: “Do you remember being pushed down?”

Christopher Lasky: “Oh, yeah.”

Brian Entin: “What were you thinking?”

Christopher Lasky: “Here we go. I was thinking, ‘This is unacceptable. It should not need to be done.'”

Christopher Lasky was being booked for stealing golf clubs and lawn chairs from a car.

Brian Entin: “With this specific video, did you complain afterwards? Did you say anything?”

Christopher Lasky: “No, I did not, sir, because I do not need any further repercussions.”

Coral Springs Police showed the video to the Broward State Attorney’s Office, and a prosecutor decided not to charge Detective Gomez writing, “The force was not excessive.”

A police Internal Affairs investigation also exonerated Gomez because the officer said he felt threatened when the suspect planted his right foot in an “aggressive manner.”

Christopher Lasky: “In the video, does it look I’m not cooperating? Does it look like I’m fighting back with him?”

While Detective Gomez was cleared in the 2017 case, he remains on paid leave for the incident in December involving the handcuffed man. The State Attorney’s Office is investigating whether the kick was criminal.

Video in link

Coral Springs Police detective recorded kicking handcuffed suspect involved in another incident caught on camera

Last edited:

diggy

Florida Man
Supporter
Daps
South Florida pastor accused of punching, strangling sister for missing work
Willie Strange, 61, surrenders to Miami police
safe_image.php

MIAMI - A South Florida pastor turned himself in to authorities Monday after he was wanted on accusations that he punched and strangled his sister in Miami, authorities said.

According to an arrest report, Willie Strange, 61, of Aventura, called his sister into his office at the Mount Calvary Baptist Church in Miami Monday afternoon to discuss why she had missed two weeks of work.

Police said Strange became upset during their conversation and punched his sister in her right eye, causing a bruise.

Authorities said he then punched her on the lip, causing the victim to fall to the floor.

He then grabbed her with both of his hands around her neck, impeding her airway, the arrest report stated.

According to the report, the victim was able to push Strange off of her and tried to leave the office.

Police said Strange grabbed his sister by her arms and held her against her will for about 10 minutes before she freed herself and ran to the City of Miami police north substation for help.

Authorities said Strange left the church but eventually turned himself in to police the same day.

According to the arrest report, the victim sustained a bruise to her lip and right eye and multiple scratches to her neck and chest.

Strange was arrested on charges of domestic battery by strangulation, false imprisonment and battery.

He appeared in court Tuesday, where he was ordered held in lieu of an $11,500 bond. He was also ordered to stay at least 500 feet away from his sister.

diggy

Florida Man
Supporter
Daps
Real 1's

Florida couple busted after posing as detectives to free 'partner' from jail

view

DESOTO COUNTY, Fla. - A Florida duo was more Laurel & Hardy than Starsky & Hutch when they were caught posing as detectives to free their "partner" from jail.

Francine Olson and Brandon Reyes were arrested Tuesday after telling DeSoto County dispatchers that they were new detectives while the two attempted to gain access to the jail.

Olson and Reyes were trying to spring George Chanza from behind bars. Chanza had been arrested recently on an outstanding warrant.

Instead, the couple are now joining their "partner" in jail after they were arrested for False Personation of a Law Enforcement Officer.

diggy

Florida Man
Supporter
Daps
Florida man busted for singing dirty song to neighbor

view

WILDWOOD, Fla. - Perhaps next time one Florida man will stick to the classics when attempting to impress a woman with a song.

Robert Mirabella, 62, was arrested Saturday after he played guitar and sang an original song to a woman he was serenading.

What got him in trouble was that Mirabella was sitting on the woman's porch and the song contained words not normally found in friendlier tunes.

According to the arrest report, Mirabella's lyrics contained phrases such as "There is a neighbor who was a bytch and I see her now, she’s just a witch.”

The Smoking Gun reports the woman claimed to have ongoing issues with her neighbors in The Villages, just north of Orlando.

For his part, Mirabella claimed that he may have sang the song in front of the woman, but it didn't mean it was about her.

Mirabella was arrested for disorderly conduct and plead not guilty.

• Dap
Reactions: MMS