What is a good book or website for understanding the basics of the stock market?

El_Mero_Mero

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I have about $5,800 invested in the stock market. About $4,500 in M-1 Finance and $1,300 in the Robin Hood app. I'm just buying shares and holding most of them (except for 2 companies where I sold all of my shares). I'm not doing anything too complex.

This is clearly not alot of money that I'm playing around with, but based off reading the book "The 10x Rule" I just jumped in and figured that I'd learn along the way.

One question that I have:

Does the average cost per share matter?

For example, if I have 100 shares that I bought all at once, and the average cost per share is $5, is that any different than me having 100 shares in the same company that I happened to purchase over a 3 week period, and the average cost per share is $8? Does the average cost per share make a difference, or is the fact that it's 100 shares (regardless of the average cost) the only thing that matters?

Jimmy Two-Times™

Coli Mods Catch Me If U Can Forgive Me Imma Ridah™
Daps
Reppin
Peckham™ Come Get Me!
Udemy is what I'd recommend. I literally found out about it 2 days ago and I think the thread is pinned at the top of this forum so go check that out. The thread is very enlightening and motivating too.

Get a discount coupon to reduce the costs and get your self-taught e-learning on.:troll: Make sure the course you pick is a highly rated one so that you are well equipped with the tools to succeed. Above, make sure the lecturer you pick speaks in layman's terms whilst giving detailed examples and leaving nothing for guess work so read the reviews of the course.

From a quick Google search on what it takes to understand the stock market you'd need to understand the fundamentals of all the subjects that encompass it such as economics, finance, statistics, accounting and money/capital markets etc.

It's better to understand the fundamentals of everything than be well versed in one aspect and know little of the others. It won't hurt either if you spend 30 minutes a day for a few weeks or months to learn something new. I myself am using this website to learn skills to help me get back into a BSc course I'm going to take in a few months.

Here is a link to a video tutorial course in particular that is free at the moment on Udemy:

Stock Market Investing for Beginners | Udemy

There are many paid and free courses so look around .

Jimmy Two-Times™

Coli Mods Catch Me If U Can Forgive Me Imma Ridah™
Daps
Reppin
Peckham™ Come Get Me!
Also the question you are asking is how to calculate the value of the stock (in more simplistic terms).

The cheaper you buy the share the better for you obviously as you are spending less money of your own so if the company trades better your value in your stocks will go up. How to determine how much exactly that is, well that's for you to learn because I myself know nothing about finance. But, I think in your predicament you've made calculating the value more difficult because the costs were different when you brought them.

Here is a Udemy paid course (I'm sure you can look around for a free one with good reviews) in order to learn how to value stocks yourself:

Ultimate Stock Market Investing: Learn How to Value Stocks

I need to start learning this stuff in my spare time too. But, I'll just do it in 10 minute bouts because dealing with maths makes me sleepy.:deadrose:

Good luck.