What is the Timeline for Heavyweight Boxing in the Rocky Series?

bxrfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Memphis Grizzlies/Auburn Tigers
I know they're movies not to be taken logically and the boxing itself is secondary at times but I've always wondered this

Apollo Creed is the heavyweight champion in Rocky and has been established as such for a long time. He's also considered the greatest fighter ever. Rocky beats him and goes on the face tomato cans until Clubber Lang knocks him out, than Rocky returns the favor in the rematch. Rocky then retires after his match with Ivan Drago. This all seemingly happens between 1976-1985

Five years later Tommy Gunn takes the title from Union Cane. From here it's pretty straight forward with Mason Dixon being the champ in the 00's and then Danny Wheeler in the 2010's (until Adonis comes along)

My question is where do the real life boxing legends fit into the story?

Mike Tyson is seen jawing at Dixon in Rocky Balboa so he had to have been champ at some point. In that same movie Max Kellerman talks about George Foreman regaining the heavyweight title in the past. In Creed 2 the promoter talks about the Rumble in the Jungle, meaning Ali had to have been real in this timeline as well

I feel like this is something the filmmakers never intended for folks to actually think about but hey :manny:

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
I know they're movies not to be taken logically and the boxing itself is secondary at times but I've always wondered this

Apollo Creed is the heavyweight champion in Rocky and has been established as such for a long time. He's also considered the greatest fighter ever. Rocky beats him and goes on the face tomato cans until Clubber Lang knocks him out, than Rocky returns the favor in the rematch. Rocky then retires after his match with Ivan Drago. This all seemingly happens between 1976-1985

Five years later Tommy Gunn takes the title from Union Cane. From here it's pretty straight forward with Mason Dixon being the champ in the 00's and then Danny Wheeler in the 2010's (until Adonis comes along)

My question is where do the real life boxing legends fit into the story?

Mike Tyson is seen jawing at Dixon in Rocky Balboa so he had to have been champ at some point. In that same movie Max Kellerman talks about George Foreman regaining the heavyweight title in the past. In Creed 2 the promoter talks about the Rumble in the Jungle, meaning Ali had to have been real in this timeline as well

I feel like this is something the filmmakers never intended for folks to actually think about but hey :manny:
maybe all the belts rocky and characters had, was make believe belts. so the real life fighters still held the real life belts... and rocky was the WBOAMDUC champ or some shyt