What pro athletes are from your town?

GzUp

Sleep, those slices of death; Oh how I loathe them
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
California
Deshawn Stevenson and Ricky Williams.

A coworker of mine went to school with deshawn, he claimed that he was crazy in the head, like something was off about him but that he worked out hella hard though. In college I met someone who went to school with deshawn and he claims he was very dumb when it came to school.

I have a personal story of Ricky Williams. We were in elementary school at Kirk elementary and we were in flag football. It was first day of practice and we were lined up to run a route individually. The coach would tell u to go and u would run and turn around and catch the ball, everyone dropped the ball except me :wow:. This was the first day of practice so I’m assuming the coach as seeing who had the best hands or something.. Ricky became the quarterback and was unstoppable, we won tournaments everywhere we went.

I would often see Ricky and his dad work out after school too.

Edit: Ricky Manning

Last edited:
Daps
Deshawn Stevenson and Ricky Williams.

A coworker of mine went to school with deshawn, he claimed that he was crazy in the head, like something was off about him but that he worked out hella hard though. In college I met someone who went to school with deshawn and he claims he was very dumb when it came to school.

I have a personal story of Ricky Williams. We were in middle school at Kirk elementary and we were in flag football. It was first day of practice and we were lined up to run a route individually. The coach would tell u to go and u would run and turn around and catch the ball, everyone dropped the ball except me :wow:. This was the first day of practice so I’m assuming the coach as seeing who had the best hands or something.. Ricky became the quarterback and was unstoppable, we won tournaments everywhere we went.

I would often see Ricky and his dad work out after school too.

Deshawn had a rough up bringing. His did murdered his grandmother and then died of cancer while locked up in his 30’s. His dad was a beast at sports, probably better then Deshawn was.

And :patrice: Deshawn and Ricky Williams aren’t from the same place

You mean Ricky Manning Jr.?

GzUp

Sleep, those slices of death; Oh how I loathe them
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
California
Deshawn had a rough up bringing. His did murdered his grandmother and then died of cancer while locked up in his 30’s. His dad was a beast at sports, probably better then Deshawn was.

And :patrice: Deshawn and Ricky Williams aren’t from the same place

Ricky Manning :snoop:

It’s been too long :mjcry:

Laidbackman

All Star
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
ATL, but rasied in DMV
Being from PG County, Maryland, by way of Washington, D.C., there's too many to name. But I'll try to break it down to who was from PG County, then who actually had connections to the town in PG County that I'm from. Btw, these are the athletes and big names from my era.

PG County
1. Sugar Ray Leonard
2. Andrew Maynard (gold medalist from 88' Olympics)
3. Sharmba Mitchell (also a boxer, for those who don't know). I think he went on to pursue his degree at the University of Maryland. He used to train in the boxing gym on the next street over from ours.
4. Kevin Durant
5. Len Bias. Len Bias played for the University of Maryland. He was that highly spoken about player in the NCAA in 1986, who passed away the day after he signed with the Boston Celtics. Len was a few classes behind me at the University of Maryland. What I will always remember about him is, as popular as he was, he always spoke to me first, even when I saw him in the club. He was one good brother.
6. Thurl Bailey (long stretch with the Utah Jazz)
7. Larry Spriggs (won a championship with the Los Angeles Lakers). He played behind Kurt Rambis, although he should have been starting. Since Larry was the most all around athletic player on the team, who was obviously more athletic than Rambis, I always thought they needed Rambis to meet some kind of a White player quota.

These last three weren't pro athlete's, but they still had big names in my era.
8. Martin Lawrence
9. Johnny Gill
10. Stacy Latisaw

I may have missed a few.

Connected to the town I'm actually from:
1. I'm naming Sugar Ray Leonard, although he grew up in a different part of PG.County, Maryland, which is the town of Palmer Park, their mail from the US Post Office always used the same "City Name" as ours, til this day. Not only did I have some cousins that grew up in Palmer Park, I had three of my very best friends come out of Palmer Park, especially after we moved not too far from there. Two of them are now deceased. One of the deceased died on 911 at the Pentagon, while working as an IT professional with the Navy. He was my friend before I moved next to their town. He was also by far the closest to me of the three, at the time of his death. To get back on topic, I recently found out one of the names I already listed in this paragraph is a distant cousin. That was Sugar Ray Leonard, the main reason he's number one on the list.
2. Larry Spriggs. He actually did grow up in my area. We played on the same boys club football team. Wikipedia has him born in Cheverly, MD., but I think they're referring to PG County Hospital in Cheverly, the hospital where most residents born in PG County were delivered. I'm not really sure. But I am sure that me myself, wasn't born in or ever lived in Cheverly, MD.
3.Andrew Maynard. Actually it was Andrew Maynard who lived in Cheverly, MD. So I may as well add him to the list, since I didn't live too far from Cheverly. But the main reason I'm adding his name to the list is because he had this tall niece. that use to love for me to spank her hard for some reason, and she was nice. Then she would act like I just raped her. She would do this every time. Then I'd ask her if i still had it. And she would answer, "Yes you still got it". We had this special chemistry. It may have came from each of us having a world class boxer in the family (although I didn't know I was kin to Ray at the time), and this was our way of throwing down...who knows. But I do know, if I was in town, and ran into her again, I could spank her again, and she would do that same routine. But something tells me I wouldn't even recognize her if I saw her again.
3. Thurl Bailey. Although he too grew up in a different part of PG County, I actually went to high school with him. We even sat at the same lunch table, although we never really spoke. My sister was in his older brothers class. who I use to bump into at the club. Although they never dated, they were okay friends, even though he did some work on our house, that he never completed.
4 Johnny Gill. He grew up in my city in PG, and very close to our town.
5. Stacy Latisaw. She grew up in my city in PG, and very close to our town.
6. Betty Gabriel. Although she's not quite famous, she played Georgian in "Get Out". She was like me, born in DC, and grew up in the same city in PG. But I'm not sure what town. To be honest, I thinking most of the people I named here, was born or lived in DC, before moving to PG County.

The main one out of these two lists that comes closest to growing up in my town, and who actually remembered my name, is Larry Spriggs, who I said I played boys-club football with. Behind him should be Thurl Bailey, as far as someone who should at least know my name. When I think about it, although Thurl went on to play awhile in the NBA, he should remember my name, whether we were friends or not, for the same reason I can remember names of students I wasn't close to. He knew about my brother, who was home-coming king the year before him, and I'm pretty sure he know of my sister, sense she was good friends with his older brother, who I spoke to alot at the club. Plus me and Thurl had this mutual buddy, although this friend was much more tighter with Thurl, since they lived in the same town. However they lost contact after Thurl went on to play in the NBA. I don't think they were even tight after Bailey went to college at North Carolina State University. To be honest, we were the only few Blacks in our class, coming out of that rough high school, that went to a major university, especially a PWI. Back then, being Black and going to a PWI was positive, and not looked down on like it is today. I don't know how I forgot this, but my high school sweet heart was close to Thurl, which is one of the reasons we set at the same lunch table. He was homecoming king, while her older sister was home coming king. It didn't dawn on me that he had a crush on my high school sweet-heart, but I should have guessed, since she was also tall. But you wouldn't think he was all that focused on her, since he was so tall and popular, and so many college recruits was on him.

Last edited:

filial_piety

Banned
Daps
Reppin
I95S
way way too many to name...but the top 5 gotta be Wilt Chamberlain, Kobe (he's from 30 minutes outside the city but still), Joe Frazier, Reggie Jackson and Marvin Harrison