What seperates a good fighter from a great fighter?

Daps
By challenging yourself

I can't remember what Tito fight this was, but it was in the later part of his career. I'm pretty sure it was in the Hopkins fight. A fan was holding a sign of Tito's victims in order: De La Hoya, David Reid, Fernando Vargas, Joppy. And then it had a to-do list of beating Hopkins and Roy Jones Jr.

It's a simple sign but that's fukking nuts. Felix going from 147 to beat the top dog in Oscar, to 154 to beat the top dog in Vargas, and aspiring to go to 160 to beat Hopkins, and eventually Roy Jones at 175?? That's insane, even if Tito fell short.

Can you imagine if Spence/Porter/Crawford, or whoever saying they'd want to go to 154 to beat Jermell, then go to 160 and beat GGG, and then go to 175 to beat Beterbiev? I can't see any boxer doing that today.

R=G

Street Terrorist
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
By challenging yourself

I can't remember what Tito fight this was, but it was in the later part of his career. I'm pretty sure it was in the Hopkins fight. A fan was holding a sign of Tito's victims in order: De La Hoya, David Reid, Fernando Vargas, Joppy. And then it had a to-do list of beating Hopkins and Roy Jones Jr.

It's a simple sign but that's fukking nuts. Felix going from 147 to beat the top dog in Oscar, to 154 to beat the top dog in Vargas, and aspiring to go to 160 to beat Hopkins, and eventually Roy Jones at 175?? That's insane, even if Tito fell short.

Can you imagine if Spence/Porter/Crawford, or whoever saying they'd want to go to 154 to beat Jermell, then go to 160 and beat GGG, and then go to 175 to beat Beterbiev? I can't see any boxer doing that today.
No..he and Roy wanted to meet at 168 but still...it would of been impressive to go that far.

R=G

Street Terrorist
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
By challenging yourself

Something is up with Spence..if he beats Manny, he's gonna call out Crawford..then go after 154 and might supercede all of that if Canelo sends him a offer.

Road20

All Star
Daps
Reppin
the Yay 510
A chin really. You gotta be able to withstand flush shots from world class fighters and punchers. I really believe if certain fighters had chins they would have different career paths

klutch2381

A Doctor of Love
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
If you think you're lonely now, ohhh girl...
For me, if I’m building the prototype fighter before I even get to skills, ability, or boxing IQ— the most most fundamental thing I want in spades is toughness. Meaning mental toughness and physically toughness. Combat sports is one of the few avenues in life that will sometimes allow you to witness someone’s “spirit.” In boxing, they call it “fighting spirit. You aren’t going to be a great fighter if underneath all your ability and know-how you aren’t a genuinely tough person.

Additionally, I will say great fighters just have another level they can tap into. Sometimes, that occurs against other great fighters and sometimes it doesn’t. I’ll give two example and they both are Roy Jones fights. When Roy Jones fought Clinton Woods, he was actually having some success against Roy early on. Mind you, this is relative to what success looked like for Jones’ opponents back then. However, Roy then started fighting at a level that Woods just couldn’t match, and eventually he landed some big punches and the ref stopped the fight. It was a big windup overhand right if I recall correctly, and the ref stopped it. He started the fight mediocre by his standards, and then turned it on mid-fight. To me, that’s an indicator of greatness. It’s like a NBA player going 0-10 the first half and then dropping 40 in the second half. To be able to flip that switch on your ability on command is some next level shyt.

Second example, when Jones and Tarver fought for the first time. I won’t get into the coming down from HW stuff and all that. Ultimately, it was a RJJ fight or performance we weren’t accustomed to. The last few rounds Roy needed to dig deep in order to win, and he did just that. He tapped into that 5th dimension to pull that fight out the fire.

Greatness for me isn’t just accolades: it’s a combination of things. How you fight, who you fight, how you look against who you fight, how you respond to adversity, mentality (you on some take on all comers shyt, or you’re trying to cherry pick), etc.

julesocean

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Same as other sports.

-You have to display IQ that allows you to beat different top level athletes in different ways. Navigating frustrating or new situations, and still able to come out on top. That includes dedicating yourself to tape watching outside the ring if you aren't naturally aware.

-Commitment to training and looking after your body. Staying in the gym, eating right, adjusting your routine as you get older to better serve yourself. I know this isn't mandatory, but alot of greats leveled themselves up a notch by showing this dedication.

-Being tough when the going gets rough, you shouldn't be a guy that people say "yeah he was good, but if you were able to finally catch him, or play physical against him, he folded."

-I know typical HOF discussion involves a legacy, and longevity, but sometimes you can not do anything about injuries that force your hand outta the game early. Therefore, I need to see you beat at least a few other greats and be convinced you woulda done the same thing if your career was longer. And I'm not talking about dominating while your era or competition was weak. Beat actual opponents that are recognized as greats.

Usually I will consider you a great if you got all of these things. Really it's a mixture of mental toughness, physical toughness, mental IQ, and physical IQ.

Daps
Reppin
Cashville, 10
Let me use Leo Santa Cruz for my first example example. Leo Santa Cruz is a 4 division champion. Just going off his accolades he should be a sure lock for the hall of fame and on the P4P list. Why is he not? His only memorable fight was getting knocked out by Gervonta Davis, he should of fought Gary Russell Jr. years ago.

Then you have Marvelous Marvin Hagler who stayed in one weight class his whole career and is considered an all time great because he has a bunch of memorable fights against elite competition, but he never moved up in weight.

Maybe Bernard Hopkins for instance, someone who was elite for such a long period of time that is hard to deny his greatness even if he was never the consensus best fighter in the world.

How about Evander Holyfield. Undisputed in two weight classes, plenty of top notch wins, fought every other elite fighter of his era and he didn't wait until they were washed to do it either.

So what makes a great fighter? Is it winning a lot of belts across different weight classes? Is it fighting memorable top competition? Is it being dominant over a long period of time?

Add Lennox Lewis to the list. Has a victory against everybody he faced. (beat McCall & Rahman in rematches, beat Holyfield in rematch after a draw). Never talked about as one of the greats.

mr. smoke weed

Smoke Album Done......Wait n See #SmokeSquad
Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
Chi
Easiest two to compare are Canelo/Triple G
Manny/JMM