What was the best NBA season ever?

FakeNews

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Reading an excerpt from a book called when it was war. It stated 87-88 was the best season and the NBA at its absolute peak. What does thecoli think? Here’s the excerpt

I have long believed the 1987-88 NBA season was the best in NBA history.

Why?

Because of the incredible talent. There were more future Hall of Famers in action that season than in any other single season from the very young (Scottie Pippen) to the relatively old (Kareem Abdul-Jabbar). Because of the four great dynasties, each at a different stage of development, competing in 1987–88. The Celtics, who’d won three titles in the 1980s, were beginning to slip but were still the Celtics. The Lakers, who’d won five titles that decade, though slightly past their peak, were still among the best ever. The Pistons were just reaching cruising altitude and might well have been the best team that year, even if few realized it. And the Bulls, in whom, though nascent and in the act of becoming, the contours of the great dynasty— six titles in eight seasons—could already be seen.

But maybe I’m wrong. Maybe I’ve fallen prey to the common belief that the past is always better than the present, that what we once had is always better than what we have now. Maybe it’s a case of mistaken identity. I was nineteen in 1988. Maybe it was less the 1987–88 season that was great than my life at the time.

I called friends, basketball players, sportswriters, fanatical fans, people involved in the game and kids just coming up, and asked their opinion: “Which NBA season was the greatest?”

I kept hearing about the same few seasons:

1976–77. The post-expansion, post-merger NBA. The talent pool was diluted. There were no dynastic teams, but parity made for thrilling competition. The Nets were the only team to finish the season with fewer than thirty wins. Kareem won the MVP. Pete Maravich scored the most points. Six of the seven playoff series went six or seven games. The Trail Blazers, led by a young Bill Walton, won the title.

1995–96. Having achieved peak power in Michael Jordan’s second iteration—MJ’s father had been killed, he’d left the game to play baseball, flailed, then returned—the Bulls recorded probably the greatest single season in league history. After finishing 72–10, that team went 15–3 in the playoffs and won the first of three consecutive championships.

2015–16. The Golden State Warriors broke the Bulls’ regular season record, finishing 73–9. Even so, the level of competition was high. It took Golden State seventy wins to clinch the top playoff seed. The Spurs, led by Tim Duncan and Kawhi Leonard, went 67–15. The postseason was a dogfight that ended with the Warriors battling the Cavaliers, whom LeBron James led to victory in Game 7 after being down three games to one.

But great as all of those seasons were, none of it changes my mind about 1987–88. Though I admit each campaign has its merits, that cases can be made, I believe that sports scenes, like music scenes, experience the occasional golden age that can be objectively recognized. I’m able to accept the 1950s and 1960s as the golden age of baseball—Willie Mays, Mickey Mantle, Stan Musial—even though I’m too young to have seen any of those icons play. I am able to accept that the golden age of hockey—Connor McDavid, Auston Matthews, Nathan MacKinnon—is happening right now. Men’s tennis rode a peak from Sampras to Federer. And to me, it seems clear the NBA experienced its peak, a boom that still enriches every player, in the late 1980s, when Bird and Magic were still great, the Bad Boy Pistons (meaning Isiah Thomas) were ascending, and the Bulls (meaning MJ) were in the shadows, stage left.

Last edited:

Greenhornet

A God Among Kings
Daps
Reppin
Rochester Ny
I could see it for any of those ... cant go wrong

there's been alot of good seasons, thats why the shytty ones stick out more.

Soldier

not redeemed with gold but with His Blood
Daps
The best era of the nba was definitely the golden era so the Mid 1980s to early 2000s (1984-2004)

And 2015-19

From a biased fan point of view, the 2018-19 season was the best ever because my beloved raptors won the chip. Goat playoff run.

Last edited:

Soldier

not redeemed with gold but with His Blood
Daps
So this writer asked what was the single best Season in nba history

Objectively, from a neutral point of view, it’s the 2010-11 season.

First year of the Heatles(Bron, wade, Bosh etc)

First season of the 2010s decade and the beginning of a new era in the nba.

That season had seven legitimate contenders.

In the west

Lakers
Spurs
Thunder
Mavericks

In the east

Celtics
Heat
Bulls

The darkhorse/wildcard teams that year in each conference

East : Atlanta hawks
West :Memphis grizzlies( in the 2011 first round, they upset the top seed in the west, San Antonio as a 8th seed)

7 teams could have won the chip that year . Usually there are only 2 legit contenders per season. Maybe 3 if you are generous.

In 2015-16 only the warriors/cavs/ thunder were legit threats to win the championship, and OKC were not as good as the first two.

And the 2016 RAPTORS, SPURS, HAWKS were pretenders. Good Regular season teams only.

Last edited:

Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Drink wolf cola
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
The writer asked what was the best Season in nba history

Objectively, from a neutral point of view, it’s the 2010-11 season.

First year of the Heatles(Bron, wade, Bosh etc)

First season of the 2010s decade and the beginning of a new era in the nba.

That season had seven legitimate contenders.

In the west

Lakers
Spurs
Thunder
Mavericks

In the east

Celtics
Heat
Bulls

The darkhorse/wildcard teams that year in each conference

East : Atlanta hawks
West :Memphis grizzlies

7 teams could have won the chip that year . Usually there are only 2 legit contenders per season. Maybe 3 if you are generous.

In 2015-16 only the warriors/cavs/ thunder were legit threats to win the championship, and OKC were not as good as the first two.

And the 2016 RAPTORS, SPURS, HAWKS were pretenders. Good Regular season teams only.
You also had LA chasing a 3-peat with Kobe going for #6 while Phil went for #12 in his final season, there were key guys from the 2002 kings in Bibby and Peja catching a ride on the Heat and Mavericks, the hype of the bulls clinching a high seed for the first time since MJ retired, the buzz of Amare first and then Carmelo making their way to the Knicks to bring them back to relevancy after a decade of being awful, we saw the spurs offense evolve into the early stages of what they’d become in Duncan’s later years, there was Blake Griffin doing something amazing every game, and even in regards to the bad teams the wizards with Nick Young, Andray Blatche, and Javale McGee provided nonstop comedy and ended up on the not top 10 basically every week.

cobra

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
2015-2016 was a movie /anime storyline

73 win and 67 win teams - SA was 40-1 at home!
Kobe's farewell
Warriors came back from 3-1 against Durant, Westbrook and OKC
LeGoat and Kyrie (who got publicly cheated on by Kehlani previously that season) returning the favor to the Warriors
KD joining the Warriors in the offseason

NBA Twitter was at its peak

Last edited: