What we gone do when the holy grail of black actors stop acting? No black soul movies being made RIP

GreenGhxst

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
FBA hairline
Movies like the wood and soul food are not being made anymore, I'm not sure if anyone else notices this. If it's a black movie it's usually revolving around slavery or service. We did have a nice film that Taraji Henson did, but I'm talking about those classic soulful black movies. We don't have that anymore. No movies celebrating black elders and their wisdom or real coming of age movies. No movies with family gatherings playing old school music like the temptations, marvin gaye and the isley brothers, kind of like how a lot of us grew up. Pretty soon the actors below are going to slow down on making movies and are probably going want to move more to the executive side or more mainstream movies. But where are the stand out black actors to replace them? Where is the soulful shyt at? Have I placed them too high on the pedastal because I grew up watching them or are they really that great and our current talent pool 20 yo to 30 yo's can't compete.

taraji henson

chris tucker

taye diggs

nia long

morris chestnut

terrence howard

sanaa lathan

harold pirrineau

regina hall

will smith

denzel washington

Last edited:
Daps
That's not true at all. I can't wait until some of them stop making movies. There's a lot of superior Black talent out there that hasn't been given a chance to shine because they want to use the same small group of actresses and actors in every movie. A lot of them are lifetime movie talented anyway if you ask me. You can't tell me you haven't seen new Black faces in film that are just as good or better than the of likes of Sanaa, Nia, Morris, and Taye. White Hollywood is constantly turning out bright new stars, its time for us to give someone else a chance.

Chadwick Bozeman is one new face in really excited to see come up. He's more talented than anyone on that list not named Denzel.
MV5BMTY1NzE1MjUyOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzI0MTE1Mw@@._V1_UY317_CR145,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Heck the entire cast they have lined up for Black Panther is better than them and you probably don't recognize most of the names.
I still can't get over all of the Black excellence in Marvel's Black Panther cast

Last edited:

GreenGhxst

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
FBA hairline
That's not true at all. I can't wait until some of them stop making movies. There's a lot of superior Black talent out there that hasn't been given a chance to shine because they want to use the same small group of actresses and actors in every movie. A lot of them are lifetime movie talented anyway if you ask me. You can't tell me you haven't seen new Black faces in film that are just as good or better than the of likes of Sanaa, Nia, Morris, and Taye. White Hollywood is constantly turning out bright new stars, its time for us to give someone else a chance.

Chadwick Bozeman is one new face in really excited to see come up. He's more talented than anyone on that list not named Denzel.
MV5BMTY1NzE1MjUyOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzI0MTE1Mw@@._V1_UY317_CR145,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Heck the entire cast they have lined up for Black Panther is better than them and you probably don't recognize most of the names.
I still can't get over all of the Black excellence in Marvel's Black Panther cast

I haven't and that could be my own personal bias. I've seen their work and I hold them in high regard. My main thing is I want more soulful black movies, I'm sure there's talent, but I don't see the fruits of their labor in that genre because so few movies are being made

GreenGhxst

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
FBA hairline
You're worried about actors, but I'm worried about the people behind the scenes; directors, producers, writers, etc. Black actors need to be more than accessories to white protagonists in film and television.

I agree with you and that wasn't what I was advocating for in the first place. I don't care about the white protagonist bullshyt, my post is opposite of that. These slave movies don't help us stray away from the white accessory narrative.. We need more wholesome black movies ( my original point). And more black producers, writers and directors would probably aid in that process.We do have Tyler Perry but a lot of people shyt on him. He's directed, written and produced some great films and tv shows outside of the Madea character.