What's going on in Ethiopia, Brehs?

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
Yes?

I went in the Root for the scoop. But they seem just as unclear as the rest of us. Supposedly it's a power play to shut down some dissenters. One of them being a high tier general.

thatrapsfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Information flow out of Ethiopia is more controlled than any major country I can think of. Nobody really knows what happened and the Goverment's explanation comes off as incomplete.

The subtext is ethnic competition thats unfolded across the country since EPRDF ( ruling coalition) has come apart.

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
Information flow out of Ethiopia is more controlled than any major country I can think of. Nobody really knows what happened and the Goverment's explanation comes off as incomplete.

The subtext is ethnic competition thats unfolded across the country since EPRDF ( ruling coalition) has come apart.

I thought the Oromo and Amhara were allies and Tigrayans were the "enemy". :wtf:

GnauzBookOfRhymes

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Amharas been under tigrayan boots for long time
New leadership has weakened tigrayan
Amharas increasingly demanding/seeking more autonomy
Many amharas distrustful of even current government since he is from different ethnic group
The general assassinated was imprisoned by previous regime and apparently he was leading call for more Amhara autonomy and calling for amharas to arm themselves etc

Potential killers: tigrayan (weaken rival)
Current govt (keep Amhara from being able to defy central govt; prevent Amhara resurgence; kill potential political rival?)

Crazy

thatrapsfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I thought the Oromo and Amhara were allies and Tigrayans were the "enemy". :wtf:
:manny: moving targets. Many in Amhara opposition are increasingly at odds with Abiy and the ODP. Some advocate for doing away with ethnic federalism while Oromos interpret that as another way to bring back Amhara historic domination of the state.

Also the military chief of staff killed in Addis was Tigray.