Whats the Difference between a Gangster and a Hustler?

Address_Unknown

Jesus Loves you...Your Cat doesn't. {#Dogset}
Daps
A hustler makes moves and gets money without having to be a "Gangster". He has a "Hustle" which he tends to and utilizes instead of doing shyt that would make him a gangster, such as having to go strong arm somebody for it or having to defend himself constantly from others like him, who want what he got if he knows how to avoid predators.

A gangster, by and large is an unapologetic entity that fights and defends his property while fueling his enterprise (Or someone else's in most case) through similar strong arm tactics and warrior like persona.

The two can be intertwined 'cause some hustlers turn into gangsters when they got to protect they hustle and some Gangsters turn into hustlers when they see something they can exploit with minimal friction while still collecting bank.

I consider myself a bit of a hustler, since I got extra income from doing/selling shyt (Heavy Machine/Foklift work, Drunk Taxi/Water Taxi, Wholesale Herb sales etc..) on the sly, but never felt the need to flex or make myself look bigger than I am. Keep it quiet, keep it moving.

Knowledge

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Hustler are about money first
Gangsters are about earning stripes first

Counter Racist Male

Retired poster and occasional lurker
Daps
Reppin
MYSELF
Hustler are about money first
Gangsters are about earning stripes first

I've always understood that hustler was like a Swiss army when it come to making money especially by illicit means. He's like a gangster without a gang.

A gangster usually has higher ups or underlings and much ready to use violence as his main tactic. A gangster may extort a hustler but not the other way around.

A Player is like hustler or gangster at the very top of this game and in the legit world and the underworld.

This is how I have understood these terms.

Daps
HUSTLERS CHASE MONEY AGGRESSIVELY. GANGSTERS ARE JUST IN THE STREETS. YOU CAN BE EITHER OR BOTH.

This says it all pretty succinctly. :ehh:

To put some examples to it:
The guy who comes in the barbershop selling bootlegged goods is a hustler, but typically not a gangster. A hallmark of a hustler is that they’re always looking for new ways to make money. So entrepreneurs tend to be hustlers, or have that hustle mentality.

A goon is a gangster but not necessarily a hustler. Sure he may make money as hired muscle either for protection or as an enforcer, but he’s basically an employee, so not a hustler.

And then your drug/crime org leaders tend to be both. They’re always looking for new ways to expand their business, be acquiring more territory, finding new products to sell, or even new services (word to the “protection” racket), making them hustlers. They typically have no qualms about using violence to facilitate their expansion (whether they personally do it or hire others to do it on their behalf), which makes them gangsters as well.

Counter Racist Male

Retired poster and occasional lurker
Daps
Reppin
MYSELF
This says it all pretty succinctly. :ehh:

To put some examples to it:
The guy who comes in the barbershop selling bootlegged goods is a hustler, but typically not a gangster. A hallmark of a hustler is that they’re always looking for new ways to make money. So entrepreneurs tend to be hustlers, or have that hustle mentality.

A goon is a gangster but not necessarily a hustler. Sure he may make money as hired muscle either for protection or as an enforcer, but he’s basically an employee, so not a hustler.

And then your drug/crime org leaders tend to be both. They’re always looking for new ways to expand their business, be acquiring more territory, finding new products to sell, or even new services (word to the “protection” racket), making them hustlers. They typically have no qualms about using violence to facilitate their expansion (whether they personally do it or hire others to do it on their behalf), which makes them gangsters as well.

Wouldn't a goon good just be a thug though?

A dude selling bootleg movies and socks isn't hustler.