Whats the penalty of driving a newly bought car w/o plates?

jilla82

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
the internet
Im flying out to New York this weekend to buy a car from a private seller.
I originally was going to spend the night in a hotel and take it to a DMV to get transport tags on Monday...but my dumb ass forgot its MLK weekend.

Im about to drive this bytch back w/ no plates and hope if/when I get pulled over the cops dont trip because ill have the signed over title, bill of sale, and insurance.
From what I read I should be good.

Anyone ever do this?

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
Im flying out to New York this weekend to buy a car from a private seller.
I originally was going to spend the night in a hotel and take it to a DMV to get transport tags on Monday...but my dumb ass forgot its MLK weekend.

Im about to drive this bytch back w/ no plates and hope if/when I get pulled over the cops dont trip because ill have the signed over title, bill of sale, and insurance.
From what I read I should be good.

Anyone ever do this?
Title is not your plate. Title proves ownership.
Because you don't have a temp or permanent tag, you can get ticketed for driving an unregistered vehicle. It's not a moving violation though. And in most (or some) cases, you can get that charge dropped (and possibly the court fees too) if you present a valid registration card during your court appearance for that ticket.

jilla82

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
the internet
Title is not your plate. Title proves ownership.
Because you don't have a temp or permanent tag, you can get ticketed for driving an unregistered vehicle. It's not a moving violation though. And in most (or some) cases, you can get that charge dropped (and possibly the court fees too) if you present a valid registration card during your court appearance for that ticket.
Thanks...I was trying to figure out what the charge would be.
I can live w/ that.

Im going to also bring a copy of the eBay auction just so they dont think I stole it.

I can pretty much live w/ any kind of penalty...except getting arrested.

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
Thanks...I was trying to figure out what the charge would be.
I can live w/ that.

Im going to also bring a copy of the eBay auction just so they dont think I stole it.

I can pretty much live w/ any kind of penalty...except getting arrested.
They would run the VIN to check if it was stolen.

MR. SNIFLES

**** YOU THUNDAAAAAAAAAAH
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
THUNDER BUDDIES
That rule applies to residents of Michigan and only for 3 days.
Even then, driving on a highway without a plate from New York to Illinois means he's open to getting pulled over in NY, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana and Illinois.

MY JOB REQUIRES ME TO DO THIS ON A REGULAR BASIS FROM MULTIPLE STATES. IT APPLIES EVERYWHERE. YOU CAN GET PULLED OVER BUT YOU WONT GET A TICKET.

jilla82

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
the internet
That rule applies to residents of Michigan and only for 3 days.
Even then, driving on a highway without a plate from New York to Illinois means he's open to getting pulled over in NY, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana and Illinois.
yea I would imagine most states have something like this....I know Illinois gives you 24hrs.