Whats Your Megapolitan/Megaregion/Megalopolis Looking Like??

newworldafro

DeeperThanRapBiggerThanHH
Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining
Megapolitan/Megaregion/Megalopolis = same thing basically
Megaregions of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What's there to do? Race/culture/ethnicity/nationality makeup? How are the women/dating? Job market? Transportation? Sports/recreation? Food/drink/amusement? Day trips? Religion? Education? Freedom appeal?

Basically, the "trend" is towards mega regions in urban planning, whereby instead of say New York competing against New Jersey for jobs, any new jobs to not only the Tri-State area, but now the entire original Megalopolis, known as the Northeast Corridor that stretches basically Boston to essentially Richmond, VA is a good thing......the major key is rail transportation that links places in minutes and an hour or two as opposed to sitting in traffic.'

There are underlying aspects to this thing b/se it is DeeperThanRapBiggerThanHipHop, however, I find it an overall :dj2: If a great high speed commuter rail service ever comes to the Piedmont Atlantic region....then you would have folks living in Greenville, SC and working in ATL or taking quick trips to Raleigh, etc.

I'll give an example for you.....everybody knows about the Northeast Corridor Acela train that is supposed to be high speed at 150mph, :childplease:, takes basically 2 and half hours nonstop to get from NYC to DC....global perspective, yeah right thats tortoise speed ..:laugh:..Folks commute quite regularly between these two places. ..anyway, that distance between those cities put in pespective....

DC to NYC is 200 miles (train takes 2 and half hours)
Atlanta to Charlotte, NC is 225 miles

Of course this is not an equal comparison, only b/se once you get to those southeastern cities, you still need a car to get around (2015 Edit Update: Uber/Lyft, etc have changed the game :damn: :wow:;

2016 Edit Update:
More light rail coming to Charlotte). That's part of the whole megapolitan idea though, better transit.

2017 Edit Update: Hyperloop Technologies
Hyperloop One is considering 11 US routes for its futuristic transport system — here they are

The engineering firm behind the Hyperloop says it will 'literally change human behavior'

2019 Edit Update: Vertical Takeoff and Landing (VTOL). Uber, FAA, NASA, and cities of Dallas and Los Angeles will start trial runs of 4 passenger "air taxis" in their metro areas in 2020.

2020 Edit Update: Virgin Hyperloop selects West Virginia for 1st Hyperloop Certification Center. They beat out 17 other applicants, including DFW area, Missouri, Ohio, etc.

So whats your Megaregion looking like if you are in one or near one???? And how do you feel about the idea of being in a Megapolitan area? Do you think this is even happening or will it even work?? :ohhh:

350px-MapofEmergingUSMegaregions.png

nelson-lang-megapolitan-2_525.jpg

Last edited:

newworldafro

Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining
FOH :pacspit: GrimThreadReaper.......you ain't bout that life (don't ask me how)...........

I'm a little ahead of my time on this one or the presentation wasn't good.........

I'm saying, there are threads on individual cities or states......just going the next step to Megaregions...... :noah:

This thread will be hot in 5 years, mark my words...... :takedat: ..:cool:..... :yeshrug:

M617

retired
Supporter
Daps
I liked this thread it was interesting. I like how you can drive down I-95 from Boston to Richmond and never really be in the middle of nowhere this region is pretty connected.

newworldafro

Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining
I liked this thread it was interesting. I like how you can drive down I-95 from Boston to Richmond and never really be in the middle of nowhere this region is pretty connected.

Somebody gets it..... :cheers:

As a bonus, :heh:, actually this goes international, b/se Vancouver on some listings is considered part of Cascadia, Tijuana is considered part of the SoCal, and Toronto is considered part of the Great Lakes one....

M617

retired
Supporter
Daps
Acela train can bring you from Boston to Washington in hours stopping in all the cities on the way. Add roads, air and water and growth for this region is endless

Captain

Save a thought
Daps
Reppin
Ethiopia
I currently live in one of the 'Megapolitans'
It looks like a good plan on paper but Im thinking if it's actually implemented these Megapolitan will attract even more people, jobs, development
and they will grow but at the expense of less densely populated regions (i.e. Nebraska, South Dakota...)
Like there would be no incentive to live outside a major city & the smaller cities will be marginalized

newworldafro

Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining
Folks in ATL/SC/Charlotte which proposed high speed rail route do you prefer???

Six Routes To Charlotte Pitched. Which Is Best? - High-Speed Rail Ambitions - Curbed Atlanta

StudyArea-web.jpg

Six Routes To Charlotte Pitched. Which Is Best?

Wednesday, June 5, 2013, by Josh Green

As with any substantial passenger rail project in Atlanta (the Streetcar notwithstanding), we must speak here in hypothetical terms. But this news is a positive sign. A study, funded by the Federal Railroad Administration and GDOT, is under way to decide which is the best route for connecting Atlanta and Charlotte via high-speed rail, 11Alive reports. Twenty flights per day shuttle between the competing cities, which officials see as proof that people need to go back and forth. The initial question is an important one: Where exactly should the hypothetical fast train run?

The even-better news for Charlotte haters: The proposed line would connect to the Southeast High Speed Rail Corridor, which is under construction to connect Washington D.C. to Charlotte. Of course, as of now there isn't one thin dime earmarked to pay for building the ATL-CHAR rail line — but it's sure fun to dream, ain't it?

GDOT encourages you to submit your 2 cents on the matter here. Hustle, before this study is shelved and forgotten.

Here are the six proposed routes, per 11Alive:

1. The Norfolk Southern line. It would run through Doraville, Suwanee, Toccoa and Greenville.

2. The CSX Athens route would go through Lawrenceville and Athens before heading to Charlotte.

3. The CSX Augusta route would head east before turning north and connect Augusta and Columbia.

4. The I-85 corridor route will follow I-85 north, connecting both cities.

5. The other interstate possibility follows I-20 and then I-77. The route will also go through Augusta and Columbia.

6. Nicknamed the "Greenfield" option, this corridor would allow for a grade separated rail line, something preferred for optimal speed on high speed rail.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
i dont think these will ever happen in america. for one thing the economy is shrinking not growing so the commute aspect is not really a necessary thing to have at all. american population growth/birth rates are projected to shrink too and in 50-100 years from now cities probably wont even exist in a way we would normally recognize ie populations will be much less dense and resemble towns more than big cities. when i was in japan they had these types of trains but to get on one cost as much as a cheap plane ticket. i dont understand how they were even making money from it if they needed to charge that much and japan has a much higher population density than a state like california despite being the same size. a sf to la ticket would have to be even more expensive than a tokyo to osaka ticket to turn a profit at all

newworldafro

Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining
I told yall in the OP what the missing ingredient to this concept was....high speed trains that make these cities even more integrated and accessible than they are today. Even I didn't think vacuum tube technology like hyperloop would seriously be proposed, researched, and financed like is taking place right now.....stay woke....especially for opportunities....

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-the-hyperloop-will-change-behavior-2016-5

http://www.businessinsider.com/hyperloop-one-10-possible-routes-united-states-2017-4

Look at the travel times they are showing in blue on the maps below, then go to an online map and look at the driving or rail/bus travel times between those same cities..:damn:

TECH INSIDER
Hyperloop One is considering 11 US routes for its futuristic transport system — here they are
573cee7a52bcd05b008c3c9a-2560-1920.png
Reuters/Steve Marcus
Hyperloop One is seriously considering building its high-speed transit system in several states in the United States.

The Los Angeles-based startup held a two-day event in Washington DC this week to showcase its "Vision in America." The event served two purposes: one, to evaluate 11 US route proposals for the high-speed transit system, and two, to meet with federal regulators in Washington about getting the system up-and-running.

"We're trying to position Hyperloop as one of the best candidates that there are for re-inventing infrastructure in America," Nick Earle, Hyperloop One's senior vice president for global operations, told Business Insider. "It's built in America, it can be implemented in America, it's made in America... there are a lot of reasons why it fits with the national agenda right now."

The event shows Hyperloop One is trying to get ahead of the regulatory curve before it even proves the technology.

58bed156491a3b81028b4885-960-529.png
Hyperloop One

The startup plans to launch a public trial, which Earle refers to as the company's "Kitty Hawk moment," on its two-mile development track in Nevada by the end of June. But a company has yet to prove the system Tesla CEO Elon Musk outlined in a White Paper in 2013.

Earlier this year, Hyperloop One launched a global challenge to crowdsource route proposals for a Hyperloop system in the US. After receiving over 2,600 submissions, the startup selected 11 finalists to present their vision in DC.

Hyperloop One says it will ultimately select two or three routes to study further. Scroll down for a look at all the routes under consideration:

1. Hyperloop Massachussetts
58e7e09677bb70b0078b723a-640-360.png
Hyperloop One
Led by Holly McNamara, selectman of the town of Somerset, the team proposes using a Hyperloop to connect Boston and Providence with stops at Somerset and Fall River. The Hyperloop would run for 64 miles.

The goal is to build an elevated system that shares highways and rail righ-of-ways with connections to the Northeast Corridor, Amtrak's most popular rail line that runs between Washington D.C. and Boston.

2. Team Rocky Mountain Hyperloop Consortium
58e7e09677bb70b90c8b6824-640-358.png
Hyperloop One

The team is led by John Whitcomb, a member of the Colorado Renewable Energy Society. It proposed a long, 1,152-mile route between Cheyenne, Wyoming and Houston, Texas with stops in Denver, Dallas, and Forth Worth.

3. Team Hyperloop Missouri
58e7e09677bb7099008b7305-640-361.png
Hyperloop One

The team is composed of Missouri's Department of Transportation and is led by Thomas Blair, the department's assistant district engineer, highlighting some state support for the project. The 240-mile route between Kansas and St. Louis would stop in Columbia.

4. Team Hyperloop Florida
4-team-hyperloop-florida.jpg

Hyperloop One
The team is led by Alice Bravo, director of transportation development in Miami, highlighting similar state support to Team Missouri. The 257-mile system would transport passengers and cargo and run parallel to Highway 27 and I-4.

5. Team Hyperloop West

5-team-hyperloop-west.jpg

Hyperloop One
The team is comprised of architects, designers, and faculty members from Woodbury University and San Diego State University. The 121-mile system would transport cargo and passengers and make no stops in-between.

6. Team Hyperloop Nevada
6-team-hyperloop-nevada.jpg

Hyperloop One
The team is led by Steve Hill, executive director of the Governor's Office of Economic Development, and includes support from the Department of Transportation. The 454-mile sytem would carry freight and passengers and run along I-11.

7. Team Hyperloop Midwest
7-team-hyperloop-midwest.jpg

Hyperloop One
The 488-mile system would carry passengers and cargo between Pittsburgh and Chicago with a stop in Columbus. The team is led by Thea Walsh, director of transportation systems and funding for the mid-Ohio regional planning.

8. Team PNW Hyperloop
8-team-pnw-hyperloop.jpg

Hyperloop One
The team is led by University of Washington students and proposes first carrying cargo along the 173-mile route before including passengers.

9. Team Rocky Mountain Hyperloop
9-team-rocky-mountain-hyperloop.jpg

Hyperloop One
Comprised of members of the Colorado Department of Transportation and engineering firm AECOM, the team boasts having partnerships with the Denver International Airport, the City of Denver, and the City of Greeley.

The first phase of the project would connect Denver International Airport to Greeley and would eventually expand into a 360-mile system.

10. Team Colorado Hyperloop
9-team-rocky-mountain-hyperloop.jpg

Hyperloop One
This is the third route proposal to pass through Denver, Colorado. This team is lead by Blake Anneberg, a self-proclaimed tech enthusiast. The first phase of the 242-mile project would run between Denver and Colorado Springs or Denver and Fort Collins before expanding to other cities.

11. Team Hyperloop Texas
11-team-hyperloop-texas.jpg

Hyperloop One
The team was created by engineering firm AECOM and led by Steven Duong, an AECOM urban designer. The 640-mile system would connect all the major cities in Texas and carry passengers and cargo. The route would follow I-35 and I-10.

Last edited: