When did this "get hype over tracklist" era start?

swerve

All Star
Daps
Tracklist hype is an art 50 has had huge problems with and never really realized.

He gots to have the most generic sounding tracklists of all superstar rappers

L2014

Banned
Daps
This gotta be an internet/messageboard thing right?

Before the internet you simply went and copped the album .

All of this dissecting the album off the strength of a released tracklist wasn't happening .
Thats what I was thinking. I can't remember people going into CD shops and buying the album because that tracklist was appealing. Maybe the album cover but not the tracklist. Its weird, that's too much blind faith.

Bugsmoran

Double HipHop O.G.
Daps
Song titles didn't matter until Wu Tang came out

I remember reading song titles from Wu artist and being mad curious what the song would sound like

Titles like

Verbal intercourse
Duel of the iron mic
Night the earth cried
Winter warz
Apollo kids

Lord Mecca

Eyes May Shine
Daps
It's hype for people who actually know the work of the artists/producers on the album. Ain't nobody drooling over a song title, if that's what you thought :snoop: (@Bugsmoran with the exception of that case... you can't help but be curious them times)

I can't speak for this new generation though... anything gets their dikk hard.

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
Thats what I was thinking. I can't remember people going into CD shops and buying the album because that tracklist was appealing. Maybe the album cover but not the tracklist. Its weird, that's too much blind faith.
But copping albums off the basis of a hot single back in the day wasn't blind faith?