When's the last time you've been to a primary care doctor?

Daps
Reppin
Bucktown, U.S.A. (Harlem, NY) + 'Cuse, NY
It's been LONG while since I've been but early this week I finally went to the doctor (a black one) who is also my uncle's (who referred me) doctor and I found out that I DON'T have high blood pressure (btw I'm fit and active so I guess that plays a role) and today I went and took my blood tests to see if I have any other illnesses.

Since on my mother's side of the family diabetes, high cholesterol & high blood pressure is common BUT on my father's side there is no illnesses at all which is why I don't have high blood pressure so now I gotta wait a month to hear from the doctor regarding the tests.

As black people it's important to keep up with our health.

Adeptus Astartes

Loyal servant of the God-Brehmperor
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Imperium of Man
As black people it's important to keep up with our health.
Amen. I went about a month ago, and try to go at least once a year for benchmarks. My father had prostate cancer, and his obsessiveness with going to the doctor probably saved his life.

You're lucky to be able to get a black doctor. My insurance is:trash: so I don't have many choices.

Daps
Reppin
I don’t understand people who don’t go. Unless you’re feeling ill, you really only need to get a check up once a year.
Well see I'm the type of person where I rarely get sick at all like maybe a common cold symptom once in a while but even then it would only last within two days.

So I felt that since nothing serious health wise has impacted me all these years I just didn't think going to the doctor was necessary but my uncle a month ago notice my cold/coughing lasting for about a week so he pressured me into seeing his primary doctor.

Daps
Reppin
I have a lot of ailments so way more often than I’d like to admit and still not nearly enough. :francis:
My great grandmother on my mom side is just like that she has diabetes, high blood & high cholesterol and she used to go to her doctor every six months but because her A1C (and cholesterol) level has gotten better she now only goes once a year.

She's had her ailments also such as cataracts, a foot ulcer and even having a toe amputation once but thankfully she's still alive :francis:.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
annual doctor's visits and 2x/yr dental visits should be second nature. i don't understand how grown ass people (with coverage...i get the obstacles for those without insurance) don't take their ass for a physical and dental cleanings/x-rays.

Daps
Reppin
annual doctor's visits and 2x/yr dental visits should be second nature. i don't understand how grown ass people (with coverage...i get the obstacles for those without insurance) don't take their ass for a physical and dental cleanings/x-rays.
I think what it is is that when some people rarely catch colds or other health complications throughout their lifetime many just put their health to the side and shrug it off as "why should I go when I feel fine?" ya know I mean that's how I've been most of my life.

My uncle mentioned how I got all this health insurance letting it go to waste from not using it when I should be fortunate to have insurance because alot of people don't have any or they do but may not be as good as your coverage.