Where would the black community be had there been no 'Crack Era'?

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.
i know i might get a lot of HATE/NEGS for this statement

but fukk it im a old flabby n sick black man who actually LIVED prior to the CRACK ERA and lived and done business during the crack era from the BX to DUVAL

so im a SPEAK MY MIND ....

hoe :manny:

and im a tell right now..YEAH SHYT WAS FUKKED UP..but WE COPED WITH IT...

the crack plague coexisted with the black empowerment we ONCE HAD before GENTRIFICATION and the full onslaught of INTERGRATION killed it

and i ain't got time to put up no damn wikepdia accounts and graphs and charts and stats to prove my point

my experiences speak for it...

harlem HAD MAD BLACK BUSINESSES..LEGAL BLACK BUSINESS DURING THE CRACK ERA

for example along with all the black owned restaurants and clubs ..hair salons you had Guy Fisher a COCAINE DEALER purchase the shabby looking APOLLO and refurbish it during the late 70's....giving out jobs to many black people even DJ HOLLYWOOD a pioneer of hip hop to provide entertainment

shyt was all good...till he got sent off to prison and NBC/PARAMOUNT came in and bought the APOLLO and made it corporate to help usher in the gentrification of harlem along with BILL CLINTON who moved his OFFICE into HARLEM

hell same situation down south...i first came to savannah to visit family in the late 80s and decided to come to school at Savannah State home of Shannon Sharpe

it was beautiful seeing West Broad street which was the 125th of the southeast ga area....which was shoutout by James brown on wax

black business all up that street....even a black owned bank..CARVER STATE BANK..which gave me my first loan :noah:

i remember being inspired to get into the promotional game when they changed West Broad street name to MLK street in honor of Dr. King in the early 90s

i witnessed probally the biggest nightclub i ever seen in my life on the next block to MLK called the "BARN" on montgomery street it was huge....opened and operated by a "crack dealer" named Big Terry originally from the MIA ....

but unfortuantly that shyt along with the property got bought out "illegaly" by a white mafioso funded art school known as S.C.A.D..which has basically destroyed savannah and raised property value to move out blacks

but i still :salute: BIG TERRY..him and a number of dealers was opening mad businesses throughout the city..i personally knew one cat who purchased land and help a sista open a daycare and a nail salon ..and yes he was a crack dealer too...

same way with ATL......i thank the dopeboys and former crack kingpins on Old national and the rest of the SWATs of ATL for putting me on to game to become a legal businessman and even real estate ...

hell if it wasnt for the crack dealers i couldnt get my promotional hustle on......my first business opportunity to become a LLC came courtesy of a crack dealer...

and it wasnt just a AA GANG ting

jah bless likkle john da dread who hustled herb from night till morning.....who assisted me during my child support issue time and was very supportive as well when i entered the dancehall field

big up Trev.....da yardie who taught me business fundementals from his shop he owned till dem crakkkers came in and hijacked his spot

so im sorry to say you might not agree but thier was PROS AND CONS to the crack era :manny:

I LIVED IT...YOU GUYS JUST WITNESSING IT FROM SOME SUBJECTIVE MEDIA SPINNED WIKPEDIA NOTEPADS :ufdup:

Harlem was a shyt hole during the crack era. Arguably one of the worse looking ghettos alongside the Bronx in American history!

KOohbt

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I know my side of town was occupied by blacks only since slavery and it went from shanty town built out of old plantation houses torn town after the union arrived, to a thriving middle class business district. But the decline started before crack. Integration is the precursor to the crack era being able to take hold. That initial monetary and educational weakening is what killed the neighborhood. Crack epidimic was a side effect of the recently declining economy.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Can we agree that Reagan and Oliver North are evil and deserved to be in jail for the whole Contra shyt...

while also acknowledging that the crack epidemic goes WAY deeper than what a couple people in the White House were doing?

You think that if Reagan didn't let some contra cocaine in over the border, that dealers would have become doctors instead and users would have all gone to trade school?

When we focus on the conspiracy theories rather than on the root issues, we don't help anyone. The issues of the crack epidemic ARE in part rooted in white supremacy, but it has a lot more to do with the state of the black community at that moment (the redlining, lack of justice, lack of education and lack of jobs that made crack look like a good option to a lot of people) than minor differences in the availability of crack at any particular moment. And solutions to the ongoing issues aren't going to come from blaming politicians, they're going to come from addressing the meaning in life that young black people are looking for and giving them avenues to chase it.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Can we agree that Reagan and Oliver North are evil and deserved to be in jail for the whole Contra shyt...

while also acknowledging that the crack epidemic goes WAY deeper than what a couple people in the White House were doing?

You think that if Reagan didn't let some contra cocaine in over the border, that dealers would have become doctors instead and users would have all gone to trade school?

When we focus on the conspiracy theories rather than on the root issues, we don't help anyone. The issues of the crack epidemic ARE in part rooted in white supremacy, but it has a lot more to do with the state of the black community at that moment (the redlining, lack of justice, lack of education and lack of jobs that made crack look like a good option to a lot of people) than minor differences in the availability of crack at any particular moment. And solutions to the ongoing issues aren't going to come from blaming politicians, they're going to come from addressing the meaning in life that young black people are looking for and giving them avenues to chase it.
I agree with most of this and will take it a step further.

When you hear these discussions and how people avoid the internal issues in the community and focus on the external issues, you're seeing the effects of the man not being in the household to raise his sons. Men take action and focus on solutions to problems. He is going to figure it out or at least TRY to solve,address,counter what's happening. He's going to play the hand he's been dealt.

The people who make a living on blaming WS for EVERYTHING know what they're doing. They peddle this stuff to a community where the man has been gone from the household for going on 3 generations now. Feminized families and communities.Estrogenized community. They give their audience an out...and the audience takes it .
People focus on flaming gay guys, men wearing women's clothing, etc as feminization of Black men...but to me this reluctance by MEN to admit internal problems and therefor address/correct them is as much a sign of feminization as the more public and visible signs.

Community is going to follow the man's lead.

The Amerikkkan Idol

The Amerikkkan Nightmare
Daps
Here's how crack changed the Black community

1. Created drug addicts out of mothers - this may be the worst thing that happened. Dudes argue that the Black community was already fukked up, that's true, but those homes still had at least ONE parent. Crack made mothers abandon their children for the first time in history.

2. Exploded the violent crime rate. The rates were already posted in here, but New York had over 2,000 murders in 1993. That doesn't happen without crack.

3. Forced Black middle class out of the inner cities. A lot of Black folks would've held on and kept their houses if not for the sky rocketing crime rates

4. Created "parents" out of grandparents - A whole generation of kids not raised by their mother or father, but by big mama

5. Exploded the prison population - America has 20% of the world's prison population because of crack. There was a "War on Drugs" before that, but crack allowed Republicans and blue dog Democrats to villify "superpredator" Black youths

6. Created younger criminals. - Heroin & cocaine & alcohol had been killing people for generations, but it was the Mafias who controlled those and sold those. Crack created 12 year old criminals who have money and guns and are running the streets terrorizing adults and their peers.

7. Created "gangsta rap" and other cultural shifts. There was no "gangsta rap" before crack. There is no NWA without crack. No Ice-T. No Biggie. No Jay. Matter of fact, our entire culture is different without crack as crack allowed drug dealers to fund record lables and rappers like Ruthless, Rap-A-Lot, No Limit, etc. . .

Like, our entire community would be different without crack.

The way we dress, talk, relate to each other.

shyt, even the whole bytch/hoe/thot culture doesn' happen the same way without Black women running to the streets in mass during the '80s and '90s due to crack.

Black community was already fukked up
Probably be in the same position
There were no jobs

There were no jobs during the "Great Recession", but crime rates continued to go down.

What you saw in the '80s doesn' just happen because of no jobs. The violence was because of the drugs.

I will argue that the prison industrial system hurt the black community more than the crack epedemic.
And also the extreme poverty and lack of job opportunity

But the "crack epidemic" is what allowed Reagan & Clinton to expand the prison industrial complex.

Look at the prison numbers before crack and after.
even better, where would the black community be, had there been no integration:francis:

60% of the Black community lived in poverty before integration.

10 years later it was 25%

Black folks by the late '70s were exponentially better off than we were during segregation

You're missing the bigger picture here.

Before crack, there were problems yes, but the U.S. government helped drug lords in Central America market and sell drugs in our communities, which spurred the greatest crime increase in history and created the biggest prison population in the history of the world.

That was NOT happening BEFORE crack.

Crack destroyed communities that were barely hanging on

Barnett114

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Exactly......

INTERGRATION did more damage to the black community than what the Crack era did...

So many black businesses was lost as Negroes made a campaign to go eat and shop with white folks in the suburbs

Nobody wanted to invest in the community much less buy homes

Paving the way for GENTRIFICATION

:dead:

Blessed Koala

Climbing the Pulpit
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama
news-buildings-mar18-dreamthefuture.png

Enhance upgrades to the community:wow:

• Unified organizations