Who coined the "Shaq is most dominant ever" phrase? What is it based on? Who believes it?

Jalether

Superstar
Daps
In his prime Shaq was the most dominant player I ever watched and it's not even close

What he did to Mutombo during the finals is probably the most insane evisceration of a DPOY I've ever seen
Hakeem also destroyed a DPOY winner and the reigning mvp at the time,David Robinson, so what does that mean

Flawed logic.

Stinky Diver

attitude as bad as his odor
Daps
I don't know who specifically coined it but NBA Media pushed it like a mf in the 3peat era. I was 11/12/13 the years the Lakers 3peated, was into sports cards and books, and I NEVER believed he was the most dominant ever. Not one time...

Even preteen me understood how great Duncan was at the same time, and how Shaq was getting off by smashing Austin Croshere types in The Finals...

I never bought it a single day in real time, and as I got older and became more educated, I knew even more how false that term was. Whoever came up with it should be shot...(just kidding 🤣)

It's such bullshyt. Russell dominated games defensively to a level maybe no one has exceeded on that side of the ball. Wilt, Kareem, and Mike were clearly more dominant players. LeBron was a clearly more dominant player. That's 5 guys right there, and while I think Shaq peaked a little higher than Duncan, that degree of dominance had no separation I the playoffs, Duncan in the exact same era was shutting shyt down come April...
And a guy who stans James Harden…

BlackAchilles

Veteran
Daps
IDK about ever BUT there was a stretch where the league essentially gave up on trying to defend him honestly

Mutumbo/Divac/Dale Davis were no slouch by any means but if Shaq got the drop on em in the low post he'd have the commentators like "Bahgawd enough is enough that man has a family!"

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The phrase popped up, from Shaq, during the recent MVP controversy and Shannon feud.

I didn't buy it when it was being said in Shaq's prime, and I'm wondering who began saying it?

During Magic's early career, I know the Lakers PR staff crafted and promoted the phrase "triple double"to highlight Magic's value to winning. In an era where people harped on scoring average to determine how good players were.
In that Lakers offense, Magic deferred to the best scoring threat, which was mid-to end prime Kareem. Alternately the #1 or #2 center in the league for the first half of "Showtime"era.

Do you think the Lakers PR team floated the "most dominant ever" tag for Shaq and reporters just started running with it?

I laughed at the time because I knew what Wilt's numbers were. And he was still alive to remind us in case we forgot. But I just looked up Kareem's early Bucks career numbers and they exceed Shaq's prime run.
If you weren’t around when Shaq was in his prime then your opinion is invalid. If you WATCHED 2000s Shaq, particularly if you were rooting for a team playing against him, then you would understand.

Dreamchaser

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
Shaq fundamentals are shyt he was just bigger than everyone else. You look at Lebron who has the fundamental and size and he's elite at that.

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
IDK about ever BUT there was a stretch where the league essentially gave up on trying to defend him honestly

Mutumbo/Divac/Dale Davis were no slouch by any means but if Shaq got the drop on em in the low post he'd have the commentators like "Bahgawd enough is enough that man has a family!"
Mutombo is literally in the convo for best defensive center ever, and Shaq was giving him 40 and 20 in the playoffs.

Daps
Reppin
#byrdgang
Hakeem also destroyed a DPOY winner and the reigning mvp at the time,David Robinson, so what does that mean

Flawed logic.
That was earlier in the playoffs

Doing it to Mutombo in the finals in the manner that he did was far more dominating imo

Last edited:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
If you weren’t around when Shaq was in his prime then your opinion is invalid. If you WATCHED 2000s Shaq, particularly if you were rooting for a team playing against him, then you would understand.
My comments that you quoted says that "I didn't buy it when it was being said in Shaq's prime".

Want to try answering again?

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Wilt def could.
The Spurs used Malik Rose at some point to guard him and keep him off the lock blocks. He slowed Shaq just enough for the help defense to get there in time and upset Lakers plays.
Rodman had a decent defensive effort against young Shaq.
Both strong and low center of gravity. Ben Wallace also.
Making Shaq work for his points and not having to collapse defense is a relative win.
Would have liked to see Willis Reed and Wes Unseld guard in the post too. Shaq wouldn't have been able to establish position against Unseld.

Wilt was incredibly strong and agile. That would be a great matchup.
Shaq was a great player, but I think people forget that there were dominant centers in the past.

I've said here before that the league tossed the rulebook in the trash for a few years where they stopped respecting that opponents could establish defensive position, and let Shaq drop shoulders and elbows into the defender without a whistle.

Apprentice

everybody in the world needa lul tim
Daps
Reppin
DMV
I believe it was based on his not being able to be defended one on one in the paint. Shaq has become bitter as he's gotten older but there is no denying that NO ONE in history is stopping Shaq one on one in the post. You could either only double him hope for an offensive foul or pray that he misses.
Hakeem died?