Who invented the dap?

blqbird

I've been thuggin through my rainy days...
Daps
Reppin
DMV
As long as I can remember, I've dapped up people I'm close to or people I've had rapport with (anything from meeting a breh at the bus stop to someone I see a few times a year). I was never taught the dap either. It was just something my uncles did when they saw me and it just felt right. This had me thinking, where exactly does the dap originate from? Is it an old American custom or does it come from the mainland? I'm starting to think all these unspoken behaviors that are so natural to me and everyone I know have to come from somewhere (like the nod). :jbhmm:

Jimmy Two-Times™

Coli Mods Catch Me If U Can Forgive Me Imma Ridah™
Daps
Reppin
Peckham™ Come Get Me!
I don't know about you lot, but me and my nikkas dap eachother like this....

giphy.gif

:yeshrug:

TEH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
As long as I can remember, I've dapped up people I'm close to or people I've had rapport with (anything from meeting a breh at the bus stop to someone I see a few times a year). I was never taught the dap either. It was just something my uncles did when they saw me and it just felt right. This had me thinking, where exactly does the dap originate from? Is it an old American custom or does it come from the mainland? I'm starting to think all these unspoken behaviors that are so natural to me and everyone I know have to come from somewhere (like the nod). :jbhmm:
Sounds like a Chappell’s Show skit