Who remembers checking a cd to see where the rapper was from

Slangtonomo

Formerly Slang Dussain Ali
Daps
Reppin
www.weohh.com
As a major prerequisite to buying their music? Of course this is the old and semi old heads.

I went through my phase where if it didn't have florida, georgia, or texas on it :hubie: I wasn't fukkin with it.

You literally walked down cd isles, saw interesting covers, names, and concepts, then you flip it over to see where the cd was printed :whoo:. It wasn't 100% accurate, but it was about 80%.

Slangtonomo

Daps
Reppin
www.weohh.com
what about new orleans?

I became aware of NO in '93 when my dawg who was from there put me up on their music.

At first it was the bounce, then he showed me some Tim Smooth stuff and I started checking for them too. They were in the family. And remember Bustdown was in miami with Luke so I saw them as family too.

Identity wise, they're a city who always claimed themselves. I forgot about them. They were a mixture of Texas, miami, and I think cali.

Neuromancer

American Daydream Machine
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
Most of the rappers I listened to were from NY, NJ or PA. no one else really got my money until my dad started doing reviews for Interscope.

Slangtonomo

Daps
Reppin
www.weohh.com
I'm not talking bout inside the cover after you buy the album. I'm talking bout while you're still at the store and it's still wrapped up. All you could look at was the info in the back. That listed the songs, the printing company, exec producer, etc.

Bugsmoran

Double HipHop O.G.
Daps
I grew up watching Yo MTV Raps. I usually seen a rappers video before i bought the cd and could tell where they was from. South, Westcoast and Eastcoast didn't sound nothing alike back in da day and the videos looked different from eachother

On rare occasions when I went into the record store and just winged it... bought an album without seeing a video from the rapper or hearing a song. I could tell where they was from by the way they dressed and their hairstyles

Westcoast rappers had khakis, some had jerri curles, some had cornrows

Eastcoast had timb boots, big bubble coats, some had leathers,

A lot of the South rappers was either dressed like a Pimp on his way to church or hardly dressed at all lol n!ggaz would be on the cover shirtless and sweating like it was hotter than a muhfukker where they was at
:russ: