"Who's Responsible?" Another Thomas Sowell opinion piece from the Jewish World Review

DEAD7

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, CA.
Thread title and content formatting edited by Liu Kang (y'all already know why).
- Old title = "Who's responsible?".

LINK : http://jewishworldreview.com/cols/sowell122314.php3

31015_image.jpg

The cold-blooded murder of two New York City policemen as they sat in their car is not only an outrage but also a wake-up call. It shows, in the most painful way, the high cost of having demagogues, politicians, mobs and the media constantly taking cheap shots at the police.

Those cheap shots are in fact very expensive shots, not only to the police themselves but to the whole society. Someone once said that civilization is a thin crust over a volcano. The police are part of that thin crust. We have seen before our own eyes, first in Ferguson, Missouri and then in other communities, what happens when there is just a small crack in that crust, and barbarism and arson burst out.

That can happen anywhere. So can what happened in New York. "Send not to know for whom the bell tolls. It tolls for thee."

It is a painful irony that, on the eve of the murders of these two police officers in New York, some of the city's police were already saying that, in the event of their deaths, they did not want Mayor Bill de Blasio to attend their funerals.

We can only hope that Mayor de Blasio has some residual decency, so that he will not defile these two officers' memorial services with his presence. No politician in the country has done more to play the race card against the police and spread the notion that cops are the big problem in minority communities.

It so happens that the police officers killed were both members of minority groups — Officer Rafael Ramos, Hispanic, and Officer Wenjian Liu, Asian. It so happens that a substantial part of the New York City police force are members of minority groups.

But you might never know that from the story told by demagogues who depict the black community as a "colonial" society being "occupied" by white policemen who target young blacks. Mayor de Blasio joined the chorus of those saying that they have to warn their black sons how to cope with this situation.

"What can we say to our sons?" some demagogues ask. They can say, "Don't go around punching strangers, because it is only a matter of time before you punch the wrong stranger."

Mayor de Blasio has made anti-police comments with Al Sharpton seated at his side. This is the same Al Sharpton with a trail of slime going back more than a quarter of a century, during which he has whipped up mobs and fomented race hatred from the days of the Tawana Brawley "rape" hoax of 1987 to the Duke University "rape" hoax of 2006 and the Ferguson riots of 2014.

Make no mistake about it. There is political mileage to be made siding with demagogues like Al Sharpton who, as demagogue-in-chief, has been invited to the White House dozens of times by its commander-in-chief.

Many in the media and among the intelligentsia cherish the romantic tale of an "us" against "them" struggle of beleaguered ghetto blacks defending themselves against the aggression of white policemen. The gullible include both whites who don't know what they are talking about and blacks who don't know what they are talking about either, because they never grew up in a ghetto. Among the latter are the President of the United States and his Attorney General.

Such people readily buy the story that ghetto social problems today — from children being raised without a father to runaway rates of murder — are "a legacy of slavery," even though such social problems were nowhere near as severe in the first half of the 20th century as they became in the second half.

You would be hard pressed to name just five examples from the first half of the 20th century of the kinds of ghetto riots that have raged in more than a hundred cities during the second half. Such riots are a legacy of the social degeneracy of our times.

Calling this social degeneracy "a legacy of slavery" is not just an excuse for those who engage in it, it is an excuse for the ideology of the intelligentsia behind the social policies that promoted this degeneracy.

Let those who have laid a guilt trip on people in our times, for evils done by other people in past centuries, at least face their own responsibility for the evil consequences of their own notions and policies. If they won't do it, then the rest of us need to stop listening gullibly to what they are saying.

The race card is nothing to play with. It can ruin us all.

-Thomas Sowell

Last edited by a moderator:

George's Dilemma

Banned
Supporter
Daps
I'm at work and don't have the time to reply meticiously to what Sowell wrote, but opinion pieces like this cause me to lose respect for people like him. He's an intellectual with a partisan agenda which when translated into laymen's terms.....he's a piece of sh!t. The glaring ommison from his piece to me which strikes me as blatantly hypocritical, is, he didn't touch on Rudy Giuliani's comments about the President and the AG bearing sole responsibility for what happened to the two NYPD officers. Now if some white nationalist, or patriot, right wing extremist were to harm the President or the AG, then by Sowell's logic, Rudy Giuliani would be responsible. Obviously his hypocritcal and partisan azz wouldn't agree that sentiment.

The irony of it all, to me at least, is Guiliani defended De Blasio by stating that it was wrong for Patrick Lynch to cast blame towards the Mayor for what happened to these two officers. He stated that the comments were inflammatory and incendiary, and inappropriate. Then in the same breath, his hypocritical piece of sh!t self took the oppurtunity to blame Obama and Eric Holder. I'm not convinced he even believes what he's saying because this is all part and parcel to gaining political points. Considering how out of control this situation could spiral, any politician looking to gain points is a dispicable person. I'd venture to say, they're not even human at that point. Thomas Sowell dehumanized himself with this piece. Rudy Giuliani dehumanized himself by trying to score political points by blaming the PResident and AG for what happened to these two cops.

On another, since we're on the subject of hypocrisy, I think it's noteworthy that the gunman had mental health issues, but as of now the focus has been more on his extensive criminal history. Funny how after the Sandy Hook incident happened, and the Batman movie theater shooting happened, along with the expected conversations and debates surrounding gun control, were articles and discussions surrounding mental health. Funny how discussions on mental health aren't beind brought up right now. I've heard the sister of the gunman express disappointment that he didn't get the help he needed, but that's about it. To be fair, it's early yet, so that discussion may gain more prominence as time goes on. But as of now, the narrative is some crazy n!gger from a community of welfare monkeys killed two of NY's finest and it's the fault of the President, AG, Mayor, the Black community, and rioters masquerading as peaceful protesters. At least that's what's being generated by Conservative media. The more the conservative media generates that narrative, the more people are going to get hurt, and Sowell's pathetic azz will continue to close his eyes, and cover his ears. Sack of sh!t.

ThatTruth777

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What did DeBlasio say that was so offensive? If I'm correct didn't all he state was that his son had to be cautious around the NYPD? Considering their stop and frisk policies that target minorities otherwise known to some as harassment, why is that off the mark.

Everything else he speaks about from the race card usage to the ills of the black community is a bunch :aicmon:

With every one of these douches, history begins at a certain point for us and changes at other times to fit the shifting nature of their argument. The end game of their words is for you to abide to suffering in silence because quite frankly they don't care until it happens to them.

Camile.Bidan

Banned
Daps
Great piece by a great man. However, I think crime stats should also be a part of this conversation.

And, Sowel always refers to "the great past" of black Americans. There was no "great past". The socials ills of blacks have been consistent before and after LBJ's great society.

DEAD7

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, CA.
Great piece by a great man. However, I think crime stats should also be a part of this conversation.

And, Sowel always refers to "the great past" of black Americans. There was no "great past". The socials ills of blacks have been consistent before and after LBJ's great society.
There were pockets of black excellence that existed where blacks were left alone.

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits

? The current database for crime stats are largely inaccurate(UCR).

There's only one statistic that's fairly accurate which is murder.

And here we go again, Murder is in highly densely populated areas of poverty happen more readily, whereas less densely populated areas of poverty have murders at a slower rate.....

Hey breh before you spout your bs about pigmentation, causing people to act more violently how about you read a book on criminology before I destroy your bs narrative....