Why aren't Jamaican Dancehall artists blowing up like spanish reggaeton artists have the past year?

AB Ziggy

Banned
Daps
I mean the dancehall sound itself has blown up massively indeed but thats only if American/Canadian artists attach themselves to it or jack it entirely for themselves.

Meanwhile, the You got reggaeton guys like J Balvin blowing up all by themselves, and that's before the English speaking world catches wind of it :patrice:

What does the Latinos have that the Jamaicans don't that's making their artists blow up like this :patrice:

Last edited:

truth2you

All Star
Daps
I mean the dancehall sound itself has blown up massively indeed but thats only if American/Canadian artists jack it for themselves.

Meanwhile, the You got reggaeton guys like J Balvin blowing up all by themselves, and that's before the English speaking world catches wind of it? :patrice:
You know how big Latin America is?

West Indians aren't that big compared to them

If you notice dancehall blows up once someone from America gets down with it. It happened in the late 80's, early 90's. And its happening again after Drake did it, but because as black people we separate ourselves, dancehall won't get as big as it could without an attachment to someone else, unless its in certain cities. Plus most people don't understand the language.

Last edited:

truth2you

All Star
Daps
It's Probably a issue of being marketable in Amerikkka

If a lot of these dancehall artist was light skin like Sean Paul, Shaggy, Damian Marley we would probably see more blowing
Nah, that aint it because Shabba Ranks was big in the 90's, and that was the tailend of the "lightskin" era

It's because a lot don't understand them, and because we tend to separate from each other. If most black americans understood them, and the subject matter was on topics most can relate to, it would blow up again, like it did in the early 90's.

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
They don't play dancehall on the same platforms (pop) that will play reggaeton and b*stardized tropical house music aka white dancehall.

Dancehall artists are marginalized but the genre is heavily looted. I don't fukk with the Latin version on principle that those brehs stole a whole sound but never reached back for some collabos. And now they merging trap sounds with reggaeton...

Dancehall artists also have to stop being super vulgar with the music. That trend of speaking very crudely about sex and violence hurt their marketability. Nothing will ever beat a good lovers rock tune when it comes to capturing an audience with women on the dancefloor. Brehs used to have the summer on smash with them tunes but now it's all about fukk up the pump pum.... :dead:

RehReh

đź–¤GhettoDollyđź–¤
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
UK
There was a time when Elephant Man, Sean Paul and Beenie etc had the world on lock

I don’t know what the world is on in reference to Dancehall but Reggae is still getting play

I can’t listen to Reggaeton that Gasolina song killed it for me