Why Best Picture Nominees Fare Poorly at the Box Office

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
Just curious. What are the comedies you believe should have gotten some best picture noms in the last 10 years or so?
Grand Budapest Hotel is the only straight comedy that got a nom (I thought it shoulda got Best Picture, but that was a tough year and wasn't mad about Birdman getting it). I think Knocked Up, Superbad, Deadpool, Inside Out and Borat shoulda got noms.

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
Grand Budapest Hotel is the only straight comedy that got a nom (I thought it shoulda got Best Picture, but that was a tough year and wasn't mad about Birdman getting it). I think Knocked Up, Superbad, Deadpool, Inside Out and Borat shoulda got noms.
I personally think Edge of Seventeen and Swiss Army Man deserved serious consideration for Best Picture, if those are considered comedies.

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
they aren't marketed...

when they are they are aimed at a VERY specific group of people (aka artsy elitist white people)

they have limited runs...

I guess the point of the article was to state the obvious

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Why you mentioned them is not a counter to the contention that regardless of how you felt about them, there are others who look at them as just as "bad" as wayne and eminem or just as "good" depending on the individual.

Why shouldn't a hit be nominated, that is my point, because its a hit? because it isn't made by the "right" type of director? Again if you don't care how successful a movie is cool, but what is the point of an award if the whole metric for nomination is completely arbitrary and politically oriented?

As for them changing I believe I told you in response, oscars is incredibly old and disconnected from the majority of the population, they are reactionary and their continued tone deafness will have their influence diminished if it reaches a certain point where people simply stop watching.

As for what you believes makes a good MC or a bad one, I don't care to be honest. It has no weight with me what anyone likes and why they like it, I focus on what I like.
The Oscars nominate movies aimed at adults, not those that are for teenagers or kids :mjpls:

Look at the top 10 grossing movies last year breh all kids movies and superhero joints. And rating be damned Deadpool was for teenagers IMHO.[/QUOTE]

why does the oscar limit films only for adults, what is the point in that?
I'd say Up was one of the better movies the year it came out, same as Ratatouille. toy story 3 was excellent. finding nemo excellent. they are just as deserving a nominaation than anything else.

If you want to throw moana in the mix this year of the secret life of pets or finding dory why not as well.

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
ok, so what's that 33% of them? Maybe Hidden Figures has some great launch scenes or something? 4/9? Why the hell would anyone see Moonlight on the big screen? Go see Lion to see a couple nice screensaver landdscape scenes?

There's basically no reason to go to a movie unless it's a spectacle anymore. $15-20 for just yourself to see something that you can watch on your big screen tv without missing a thing... for free if you have no morals about downloading shyt... which you shouldn't in 2017.

People always bytch about how Hollywood only makes blockbusters and retreads of known properties, but think about it for like 4 seconds, and it makes total sense. Then people try to use the few and far between surpris hits like they aren't flukes. Why am I running to see a movie like Fences when again, i know it's gonna be online in a week? To see 1950s Brooklyn or whatever the hell it is a little bigger? I might miss some detail on a pigeon in one scene by watching it at home?
:what: some people just like seeing a movie in a movie theater despite the genre.

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
:what: some people just like seeing a movie in a movie theater despite the genre.
Yeah I just like watching movies in theaters. I like not being distracted by my phone or computer. It's just something about the experience that I genuinely enjoy:ehh:, way more than watching a film on a computer screen or even on my couch. I typically see movies with my girl, and we spend the car ride home discussing the film, sometimes arguing our points:pacspit:, sometimes in total agreement of admiration:blessed:

If she's not with me I will reflect on it or listen to a review of the movie (doubletoasted usually) to compare their thoughts with mine. It just wouldn't be the same doing that at home.

And not coming to this from a moral angle, since I understand people ain't gonna pay for everything they want to see, but I also go to the theater to actually support the films so hopefully they continue to get financed.

I've said this several times, but I loved Queen of Katwe, but it flopped and lost money, so the narrative might turn into "Lupita can't draw" or "David Owyelowo cant draw" or "movies set in Africa can't draw." If all I go to are comic book popcorn movies, then it'll continue the trend of the mid tier films being phased on in favor of either cheap ass indie films or high budget blockbusters, nothing in between like The Nice Guys. I want more films like that so I go support the ones that do get made:manny:

Last edited:

protestor

Man of the year
Daps
Reppin
Protesting
I don't see what the issue is the Oscar really needs a category for action and comedy if they are going to purposely ignore these very popular genre films for "deep" oscar bait films.

If you don't create categories for them, atleast nominate them if they are extremely successful or very well made. Why ignore John Wick but give nominations to films no one saw last year like The Imitation game, boyhood, and etc.

:rudy: those types of movies already have their own award show. Theyget recognized by MTV and teen awards.

Time and place of everything. This ain't even a question.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
:rudy: those types of movies already have their own award show. Theyget recognized by MTV and teen awards.

Time and place of everything. This ain't even a question.
I'm not talking about MTV, I"m talking about the Oscars and this notion that they shouldn't be recognized by the Oscars reeks of unfounded elitism to me.

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
It still disgusts me that most people believe a comedy should never win Best Picture or even get nominated.
It has to be a comedy disguised as a drama. Wolf of Wall St. Is a comedy but Leo and Scorsese are behind it so it gets recognized and some people even think it's not a comedy because of the people involved. comedic performances are overlooked more than anything.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
:what: Why did this thread run for so many pages when the thread title question has an obvious simple answer? Most Oscar-bait movies are smaller budget indie or indie-type movies that get limited theatrical releases.

protestor

Man of the year
Daps
Reppin
Protesting
I'm not talking about MTV, I"m talking about the Oscars and this notion that they shouldn't be recognized by the Oscars reeks of unfounded elitism to me.

I heard you. Im saying there is a time and place for everything. As for elitism, it sounds like your reaching for something to confirm your bias. You thought that civil war or Deadpool should be nominated because you thought it was entertaining. Foh

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
I heard you. Im saying there is a time and place for everything. As for elitism, it sounds like your reaching for something to confirm your bias. You thought that civil war or Deadpool should be nominated because you thought it was entertaining. Foh
I'm saying to claim there is a time and place for "certain" movies and not the oscars which is a forum for movies is elitist, it isn't reaching at all, that is what you are being.

I didn't say I thought they should be nominated in that they were robbed or that i'm upset, I'm saying there is no reason successful films should not be nominated for arbitrary reasons, like the ones you've just presented, such as "time and place"

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
I'm saying to claim there is a time and place for "certain" movies and not the oscars which is a forum for movies is elitist, it isn't reaching at all, that is what you are being.

I didn't say I thought they should be nominated in that they were robbed or that i'm upset, I'm saying there is no reason successful films should not be nominated for arbitrary reasons, like the ones you've just presented, such as "time and place"
Last year The Martian and The Revenant which both made over $500 M's worldwide were both nominated.