Why City of God is superior to Godfather and Goodfellas.

Axolotl

Banned
Daps
City of God is a tragic masterpiece. For me, the story and character is superior those movies. The characters in Godfather and Goodfellas aren't empathetic at all. I cant sympathize or relate to grown ass men, especially racist cac men, taking a life of crime. Honestly, If they wanted to leave the crime life they can easily assimilate into society, even if it means less money.

However, in CoG, theses are young folk, 18-21, trapped in a life a poverty, corruption, and a general lack of opportunity. This gangster life for them is all they got. Many were dragged into this world and even some of them who be robbing still be giving back to the community.

Last edited:

BelieveBeOK

Superstar
Daps
That's your opinion and you are entitled to it.

I disagree with the notion that being able to sympathise with or relate to characters makes a film great.

And lil Ze was a bigger psycopath than any character in either of the other films. Yes, even more so than Tommy DeVito.

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
I gotta read subs to watch the city of God. that alone disqualifies it being better than goodfellas. great movie none the less. but the scene where they have no cuts and go from the kitchen into the dining room >>>>

you have to venture outside your comfort zone once in a while

subs don't hurt it at all. a bad voice dub is way worse than any subs.

once you get engrossed in any subtitled movie you forget about reading the text on screen.