why did the dreamcast fail again?

DamienWayne

Superstar
Daps
Bad business . We couldn't compete with PlayStation coming in and crushing the building

O.Red

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They dropped and abandoned 3 failed consoles before the dreamcast released.

The fact that Sega of Japan viewed Sega of America as competition and refused to work with them didn't help.
Japan has this issue in general, especially in gaming

Japanese business practices are archaic and very stubborn and that stubborness has caught up with them.

History has shown that whenever you have these Japan/America game company branches the American branch's creativity is always stifled by Japan's rigid ass ideas

Imyremeshaw

كن التغير الذي تريد أن تراه في العالم
Daps
Reppin
NULL
mIRC held it down for me with the Dreamcast. Only legit games I owned for that system were Sonic Adventure, NFL 2K1, and McC2. Everything else was bootleg. I played Powerstone 2 and CvSNK2 so much I almost felt bad for not actually buying them.

Once the PS2 came through with the DVD player it was a wrap. First thing I ever did with my PS2 is fire up Rush Hour 2. The clarity was :ohlawd:
mIRC, I haven't heard that years, typing in code to request bootlegs:wow:

Daps
It failed because of the 32 X, the Sega CD and Saturn 4 flops in a row was too many all these failed investments with no return.

Also as people have mentioned the split between Sega of America and Sega of Japan.

The Dreamcast was actually well marketed in Europe. When it was competing with the N64 and PS1 it was doing well in 1999 and was ahead of its time, but when the PS2 came along it became the market leader having a DVD player ultimately Sega didn’t want to stick it out because they were suffering heavy losses.
E7eAcRxUYAAZy1E.jpg

nintchdbpict000282703655.jpg

What an Era :mjcry: ^

Last edited:

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
Good spin off thread, who is to blame for Sega's downfall, Sega of Japan or Sega of America ?
Sega of Japan. They were jealous of how much success they had in America and wouldn't let them cook. The Saturn launch fiasco may have been SoA's doing but Japan was the ones who told them to bump up the release date in the first place.

Then Yuji Naka was a dikkhead and basically screwed over Sonic Xtreme by not letting the American team use the Nights engine to expedite development.

O.Red

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Good spin off thread, who is to blame for Sega's downfall, Sega of Japan or Sega of America ?
The answer is always Japan in these situations.

Japan's stubbornness and stale business practices always get in the way of American game companies innovation.

When the American branch succeeds in spite of their Japan imposed limitations, Japan then gets jealous and starts imposing their will to remind them who's in charge

Cutting off their nose to spite their face

The book Console Wars is a good timeline of Sega's America/Japan issues from the Master system to the Saturn

51zpf17Eh1L.jpg