Why do some adults feel sad and emphatic for babies and toddlers crying while others become angry and irritable?

Daps
Reppin
Bucktown, U.S.A. (Harlem, NY) + 'Cuse, NY
:jbhmm:

I'm one of those people who naturally become sad and empathize with a baby or toddler whenever I'm hearing them cry :mjcry: maybe because I was a big cry baby until around 15-16 years of age so I guess I sympathize with their tears...

Yet I notice other people become very angry and irritated by a baby or toddlers' cries :mjtf: yeah I know the crying can be annoying at times when not anticipated but damn :why: is it that serious for you to go off on a baby?

A few days ago I was on the phone with my girlfriend and her brother was at her house to pick up his 4yr old daughter (which is my girlfriend's niece) and in the background the way he was sounding so violent at his daughter crying kinda made me sad...

Today my girlfriend told me how her own brother called his 4yr old daughter a bytch :skip: that's all I'm gonna say cause even I was like damn that's crazy take it easy for God's sake.

Anyway the main point of the thread is the question itself on why some adults are naturally inclined to empathize and sympathize with a crying baby/toddler while others seem to get extremely angry and irritable to no avail...

:yeshrug:

Realm-Breaker

Sometimes known as Were-Breaker/Cunning Linguist
Daps
Reppin
Realm far from here
Kind sir what you're asking is a question with a wide breadth of information. You're asking why is the human race so diverse and different in their thoughts and actions. Isn't that what makes it so special? What you should instead be asking is isn't it a blessing we all can relate through the universe that is called emotion.

Last edited:

BaldingSoHard

Veteran
Daps
Babies crying doesn't bother me... that's their only method of communication. It's what they do.

Toddlers though... they're usually crying over some bullshyt. I'd imagine that can be extremely annoying after a while. I'd never call a toddler a bytch, but I would definitely be thinking some shyt inside my head after dealing with that shyt for a few weeks.

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
If your parents treated you like a burden, you'll probably treat the children in your life/proximity the same way.

One of the worst things about being a parent is when you catch yourself treating your kids in ways that you didn't like to be treated as a kid, out of habit.

like I can't be the only person on here that get yelled at because "you're getting on my nerves", no real explanation, just a stressed out, overstimulated parent without the tools to acknowledge or express why they're hyper sensative to you just being a fukking kid, right?

I found myelf getting ready to say that to my kids once and started shaking my head. Kids, even ones that aren't yours can trigger your childhood stuff.

Last edited:

Buckeye Fever

YOU WILL ALL HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hip-Hop Since '79
Close to where I live, a white girl who had a daycare shook a baby to death for crying a month or 2 ago.

FORSYTH, Ill. (WAND) - An in-home daycare worker is charged after police said she admitted to shaking a 7-week-old baby girl, causing her death.

Officials confirmed the name of the suspect is Taylor Burris, 24, of Forsyth. She is charged with Endangering the Life and Health of a Child, Aggravated Battery to a Child Resulting in Death and Involuntary Manslaughter.

Police said that on May 17, shortly after 2 pm, emergency medical services and deputies were dispatched to an in-home daycare located in the 100 block of Valerian Dr. in Forsyth for unresponsive child.

When they arrived, they found a 7-week-old child from Bement, Illinois in an unresponsive state. She was rushed to a local hospital where she passed away later that night.

Police said Burris first told them the baby, Maren Gallagher, was in a bouncy seat when she was hit in the head by a ball that another child threw. She said there was a red mark on the baby's temple, and she sent a photo of the injury to the newborn's mother.

She said she then put Maren down for a nap. After an hour and a half, she said Maren woke up and was given a bottle, but she vomited it back up.

She was taken to the hospital and died later that day.

After her death, a pathologist reported she had a contusion to the right temple and cheek, subdural hemorrhage and hemorrhage surrounding the optic nerves and cervical dorsal root ganglia. The pathologist said he saw the hemorrhages to the back neck area and behind the eyes. The results were sent off to a doctor at the University of Chicago Medicine for review.

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
I think it also depends on the environment. Some people grow up/live in environments that will be more noisy in general and/or have more babies/toddlers around so they develop more patience to the whole thing, while people who grow up/live in more calm environments might get more irritated when confronted with noise.

That being said I remember reading that men in general are more irritated by high-pitched noises than women for some biological reason. Part of the reason must be that for centuries men weren't even really around babies/toddlers like that, let alone taking care of them, contrary to women of course.