Why do some people say Rock wasn't all that in the ring?

Jim Cornette

The Cult of Meat with Extra Cheese...
Daps
Reppin
Australia

Rock had a dope moveset...

He could wrestle smalls, bigs.. brawl, submission, iron man, ladder..

Just don't understand the hate on Rocks in ring work that you see online:what:

Killer Instinct

To live in hearts we leave behind is to never die.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO
He was given so much credit as a "sports entertainer" that Rock not being a good worker by proxy became the thing to say amongst the hardcore wrestling male demographic. If the WWF/E homegrown guy managed to become All Time level in one area, they have to detract from him in another. The reality is Rock worked smart and for all the criticism he got, I don't ever remember him having a dud on PPV once he got firmly established as a headlining main event draw in '98. There are so many people who are considered better "workers" that ended up having multiple high profile stinkers on PPV whereas with The Rock, when he was called upon, almost always delivered, "limited moveset" and all. I don't remember the arena ever being flat or recall any "boring" chants.

He was a great wrestler to me for the simple fact he understood the main goal of a scripted wrestling match -- especially on PPV -- was to first entertain and second to further or conclude a story. He could work with anyone. He had classics with HHH. He put over a novice Lesnar as a unstoppable force of nature better than anyone, past or present. He and Austin brawled for 70% of their matches and still had more fan engagement than better acclaimed workers did in theirs.

There were guys during his ascension and in his era that I would argue were objectively as good or better in the ring than he was like Eddie, Kurt, & HitGOAT. I think that goes without saying and if he was as great as they were, it wouldn't even be fair. Even so, he was a much better wrestler than given credit for at the time and I'd take him from '99 - '03 over a lot of talent guys consider supreme wrestlers today. Rock understood the art of fan engagement and story telling. That'll always go further with me than superkicks and Canadian destroyers that get a 2 count.

RippTheRuler

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Queens
Because Rock didn’t do flips or slap his thigh enough

Ironically enough he slapped his thigh with every punch... that slap sound you used to hear when he hit opps was actually him slapping the inside of his leg.... Kane also would slap is arm with his uppercuts.... they were so skilled at it though you couldn't see it

Daps
Ironically enough he slapped his thigh with every punch... that slap sound you used to hear when he hit opps was actually him slapping the inside of his leg.... Kane also would slap is arm with his uppercuts.... they were so skilled at it though you couldn't see it
Yep, there’s one punch he did that is embedded in memory. It was during Austin v Rock at Wrestlemania 19. It was during a comeback phase of the match, and Rock threw an incredible punch that timed up perfectly with his thigh slap.

It was so good, Lawler broke character, and was like “ooh, what a shot” :banderas:

Starboy52

Superstar
Daps
He was legit having his best matches after he came back from filming The Mummy Returns, but even before that he wasn’t bad and could work with pretty much anybody.

Most people just turn their nose up at the Showman based style because it focuses on the story, psychology and keeping the fans engaged throughout rather than the workrate or going from high spot to high spot to pop the crowd.