why do these modern games solve the puzzle for you?

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
today I'm playing Spider Man. I get a side mission to find a dude using a photo. the photo clearly has the Statue of Liberty in the background, so I open the map, and put a marker where it looks like it would be that angle

when I get back into the game it's already telling me something like "this location must be in the south". yeah, I already figured that out, and I'm headed that way :wtb:

on my way, it's giving me more hints. I'm trying to ignore what he's saying, and I get to my marker. I'm sussing out the angle, looking at landmarks, and then Peter says "no, it's not here. further south". STFU, I'm trying to figure this out :damn:

shyt just spoiled what could have been an interesting and engaging mission. and it did the same thing in the next step of the mission. no option to turn this shyt off, and it's dropping hints before I have a chance to think about shyt :snoop:

I remember this same shyt in Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, and the recent Tomb Raider games. this should be a button you push to get a hint, or at least an option to turn this off. what's the point of having puzzles if they ain't gonna give you a minute to figure it out?

one of the reasons Elden Ring was a breath of fresh air is because it didn't have all this hand-holding shyt

so how does the coli feel about this? am I the only one that get's annoyed by this shyt?

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Catering to a casual audience with an ever decreasing attention span and level of patience.
Look at how combos in Street Fighter continue to require less memorization and skill overall.
If you ask me, I blame gamepass. This generation of nibble here nibble there and never finish a thing is ruining gaming overall.
I demand a REVolution immediately.

Silliness aside...yeah...devs need to put npc/ai puzzle assistance behind the pause menu or ask you to input a command like some games have done.
If the game sees you running around for x amount of time, prompt you to press a button for a hint before jumping out and just flat out telling you the solution.

God of War could have implemented this easily if they just had Mimir say "Do you need any help brotha?" and have you press a button for "yes" and THEN have him give you the answer.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Casuals have taken over. I could barely solve the damn riddle myself before this stupid ass MPCs tell me how to solve the riddle. Not even something you can turn off
Say word breh :ohhh:
mpc-mpc2000xl.gif

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
Casuals have taken over. I could barely solve the damn riddle myself before this stupid ass MPCs tell me how to solve the riddle. Not even something you can turn off
Games don't @surf that way in the greenerside of Harlem :dame:

And Sony has a Patent for pussifying gamers with this shyt...

Its clear Sony knows its audience. For the gaymers who like to @surf this way :hug:

Marks

as a mountain
Daps
All about engagement and retention. Keeping the average players attention is the game. Starting around the 360/PS3 era and birth of achievements they started tracking how players were doing, what content they were seeing etc and it was shocking everbody to know the most ppl don't even finish games. Devs were spending all this money/resources on content that single digit fractions of players were looking at.

Same with MP too, thats what SBMM is really about, keeping players playing. Even something like Destiny, raids are arguable the best content in the games but if the numbers are to be believed on bungie.com a pathetic number (something like less than 10%) actually even touch raids. That's not even counting success rates either, as in a fraction of that fraction are actually completing them lmao.

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
All about engagement and retention. Keeping the average players attention is the game. Starting around the 360/PS3 era and birth of achievements they started tracking how players were doing, what content they were seeing etc and it was shocking everbody to know the most ppl don't even finish games. Devs were spending all this money/resources on content that single digit fractions of players were looking at.

Same with MP too, thats what SBMM is really about, keeping players playing. Even something like Destiny, raids are arguable the best content in the games but if the numbers are to be believed on bungie.com a pathetic number (something like less than 10%) actually even touch raids. That's not even counting success rates either, as in a fraction of that fraction are actually completing them lmao.
And what has all of that done for gaming? Are games better or worse for it?
A talented company can easilyn make a better game than what is available today, and that new game would then be the standard.
But with rising cost to create games, the industry was heading towards "the trends" but I think with all these acquasitions the focus will shift back to gameplay first.

That's what I'm seeing from Microsoft these days and its always what worked for Nintendo. TBC about everyone else...