Why is Jerry West the NBA Logo?

EBK String

Better Ring String
Supporter
Daps
nikka only won 1 title out of like 9 trips to the finals. He was a great player but what did he do to be the logo of the NBA? somebody like Bill Russell is way more deserving of being the NBA logo, he won 11 titles and laid the foundation for what the NBA would become. I think we know the real reason Jerry West is the logo though :mjpls:

Jerz-2

GOATs Status
Daps
Let the NBA tell it, though, that's not Jerry West :sas1:

The story of the NBA logo

It was 1969. The National Basketball Associationwas locked in a bitter battle against its upstart rival, the American Basketball Association. At stake: fans, players, media — and millions of dollars.

The NBA turned to Alan Siegel, founder of Siegel+Gale.

Seeking inspiration, Siegel pored through the photo archives of Sport magazine. A particular photo of the All-Star Jerry West grabbed his attention: It was dynamic, it was vertical, it captured the essence of the game.

jerry-west-nba-logo.jpg

Jerry West photo for the NBA logo, by the late Wen Roberts.
nba-logo.jpg

The NBA is reluctant to acknowledge that it’s Jerry West in the logo, and Siegel, a lifelong basketball fan, believes he knows why.

“They want to institutionalize it rather than individualize it. It’s become such a ubiquitous, classic symbol and focal point of their identity and their licensing program that they don’t necessarily want to identify it with one player.”

NBA Commissioner David Stern, through a spokesman, declines to comment, saying he doesn’t know whether West is on the logo.

“There’s no record of it here,” spokesman Tim Frank says.

Today, this classic image generates $3 billion a year in licensing, and the NBA name symbolizes the pinnacle of excellence in professional basketball.

Update, 2017:
Jerry West wished it never got out that he’s the silhouette. “I don’t like to do anything that calls attention to myself.”

#lakers #nba #sport

April 21, 2011

KingZaire_

Superstar
Daps
Every guard/Forward moves that way it was just molded after Jerry

kuts

All Star
Daps
to be honest its not really exactly him ... and its what all guards look like driving for 30-40 years

its uniform and well balanced

He's not low enough to drive anywhere.

:stopitslime:

The logo needs to be updated if we're opening up the discussion. I'd probably go for Steph shooting a three because he has perfect form and no one would complain if it was the golden boy.

Greenhornet

A God Among Kings
Daps
Reppin
Rochester Ny
He's not low enough to drive anywhere.

:stopitslime:

The logo needs to be updated if we're opening up the discussion. I'd probably go for Steph shooting a three because he has perfect form and no one would complain if it was the golden boy.

why change something if its perfect? thats how guards drove until the 90s ... what about magic doing a no look pass?