Why its time to legalize prostitution..Nice article

ⒶⓁⒾⒶⓈ

Doctors without Labcoats
Daps
Reppin
Payments accepted Obamacare,paypal and livestock
:whoa: no I am not a consumer of such services...

But i do agree with the philosophy and economics of legalizing so i wanted to discuss it in a rational manner

Why It's Time to Legalize Prostitution
A prostitute has a 45 percent to 75 percent chance of experiencing workplace violence at some point, according to recent research indicates, and a 32 percent to 55 percent likelihood that she or he was victimized the past year. Worker safety, along with concerns about exploitation and objectification, are behind much of the continued support for keeping prostitution illegal.

But there’s a movement afoot to challenge conventional wisdom about prohibition. Or, rather, to incorporate what we already know about black markets into our thinking about sex workers and their rights.

As with the drug trade, much of the violence associated with sex work is exacerbated by its illegality. Violent people are more likely to prey on sex workers, confident that they won’t be reported to police. This leaves workers dependent on pimps and madams for protection, which often leads to more violence. And then there’s abuse from police.
Illegality also forces sex work outdoors. Craigslist and Backpage should be havens for workers to connect with and vet clients from the safety of their homes. Instead, cops monitor such sites to ensnare workers and their clients. Sex workers traded safety tips and rated clients on My Redbook until the FBI seized the site, destroying the data and forcing sex workers onto other sites, or the streets.

After Germany and New Zealand legalized sex work, violence against sex workersdecreased, while workers’ quality of life improved. There, occupational health and safety laws protect sex workers. And the ability to screen clients and take credit card numbershas reduced violence. “It’s been just fantastic, really,” said Catherine Healey, national coordinator for the New Zealand Prostitutes’ Collective.

In fact, the data are pretty clearly in favor of legalizing sex work to improve public health. The World Health Organization recommends that countries decriminalize sex work. According to a recent WHO report, “Violence against sex workers is associated with inconsistent condom use or lack of condom use, and with increased risk of STI and HIV infection. Violence also prevents sex workers from accessing HIV information and services.”

It’s not just the WHO. Editors of the top medical journal The Lancet wrote that there is “no alternative” to decriminalizing sex work in order to protect sex workers from HIV. In 1980, Rhode Island effectively legalized prostitution by accident when lawmakers deemed the state statute on prostitution to be overly broad. They accidentally removed the section defining the act itself as a crime while attempting to revise it, though lawmakers didn’t realize the error until 2003. Over the next six years new cases of gonorrhea among women statewide declined by 39 percent. Interestingly, reported rapes also declined by 31 percent.

Another huge impetus behind the movement to legalize sex work is the current focus on ending the scourge of sex trafficking. People are waking up to the fact that laws against sex work actually help human traffickers. This is why the U.N. Human Rights Council published a report from the Global Alliance Against Traffic in Women which criticizes anti-trafficking measures which restrict sex workers.

According to the report, “The criminalization of clients has not reduced trafficking or sex work, but has increased sex workers’ vulnerability to violence, harmed HIV responses, and infringed on sex workers’ rights.”

Much of the energy behind keeping sex work relegated to the black market comes from the unlikely partnership between radical feminists and evangelical Christians, both of whom object to the way prostitution makes the economics of sex explicit. Both see sex work as a special kind of work. Both put sex in a special category, that is, to be done with only certain people, under certain circumstances, among which they do not include “customers” and “for money.”

Stuart Chambers in the Montreal Gazette makes an excellent case that people’s impulse to put sex for money in a different category than sex for dinner or sex for an orgasm is the same impulse that led doctors and scientists to pathologize masturbation and homosexuality. That is, some people see sex that makes them uncomfortable to think about as wrong for other people to have.

:sas2: Any INTELLIGENT objections or comments

notice i used the word intelligent to specifically exclude all the people who believe in fairy-tale books written by desert bandits suffering from heatstroke.

Poh SIti Dawn

Staying Positive, Getting Better Everyday. Holler!
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I've been saying this, espesh for my city. But I don't see it happening soon because of our culture and how it deals with sex.

well really with how it deals with women tbh..l

Tate

Kae☭ernick Loyalist
Daps
I agree. Sex workers experience the exploitation of the wage system, as well as the violence of a misogynistic, patriarchal society, more viscerally than any other trade. While these things won't go away with legalization, being safe from the threat of legal prosecution will be very beneficial in a number of ways.

ⒶⓁⒾⒶⓈ

Doctors without Labcoats
Daps
Reppin
I've been saying this, espesh for my city. But I don't see it happening soon because of our culture and how it deals with sex.

well really with how it deals with women tbh..l

Perhaps its not so much a specific city or culture but rather the INTERESTS of several groups..Ive lived in conservative and liberal cities and there seems to be an alliance between the radical bra burning feminists and the old men who thump bibles that will never allow for prostitution to be acceptable

The feminists say" my body my right" but as soon as a broke woman tries to make some money off it then :whoa: and the religious conservatives say "your body is a temple and belongs to the sky daddy but they wont offer alternatives or try to make it easier to transition to something "holier".

Poh SIti Dawn

Staying Positive, Getting Better Everyday. Holler!
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Perhaps its not so much a specific city or culture but rather the INTERESTS of several groups..Ive lived in conservative and liberal cities and there seems to be an alliance between the radical bra burning feminists and the old men who thump bibles that will never allow for prostitution to be acceptable

The feminists say" my body my right" but as soon as a broke woman tries to make some money off it then :whoa: and the religious conservatives say "your body is a temple and belongs to the sky daddy but they wont offer alternatives or try to make it easier to transition to something "holier".
Well I would say that, I suppose it's not exactly the line that's drawn, but where you draw the line at.

So I suppose if they said, should prostitution be legalized? We have a vote on it. Then we establish a zone, and then we open up brothels.

I think that if it could be voted on then feminists and conservatives couldn't do much. But I think the culture would still shy away from it because it's not acceptable to say in public "I slept with a prostitute" even though 95% of the girls you encounter are acting stush and you're starting to massively resent them on a jeffrey dahmer level.

I'm on the Northwest though, where I think men are a bit more repressed because maybe they're more cowardice? Idk really what it is, they say it's the women. I don't have an issue with them, so I'm not really sure what it is?

CHL

Superstar
Daps
Excellent article

Let's not generalise and pretend they are a monolith in which all or most of them think that. There are different strains of thought within it.

ⒶⓁⒾⒶⓈ

Doctors without Labcoats
Daps
Reppin
Excellent article

Let's not generalise and pretend they are a monolith in which all or most of them think that. There are different strains of thought within it.

This is the popular position...theres not many feminists advocating legalizing in public

Article
Nearly a year after Amnesty International's International Council released a proposal on prostitution, which it calls "sex work," the organization's International Board issued its global policy calling on governments to decriminalize pimping, brothel-owning and sex-buying. As of May 26, 2016, Amnesty has officially adopted a framework that will shape its advocacy to stand with exploiters, not the exploited.

CATW, along with survivors of the sex trade and other women's rights and human rights activists, will continue to urge Amnesty to reevaluate its policy. Instead of the wholesale decriminalization of the sex trade, the organization must call on governments to decriminalize only prostituted individuals — not their exploiters. It should not allow pimps, traffickers and brothel owners, who profit from this multi-billion dollar global trade, and the sex buyers, who fuel it, to brutally abuse women with impunity.

Amnesty's decision to legitimize the sex trade is a gross violation of human rights principles and international conventions, including the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the 1949 Convention, the Palermo Protocol and the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW). As we continue to oppose this devastating move, our Change.org petition will remain active until we succeed in reversing Amnesty's policy to decriminalize the sex trade.

In October 2015, as part of the Global Day of Action against Amnesty's proposal, we circulated a Global Declaration urging the organization to uphold human rights, especially those of women. If you fit into the categories of "We, the undersigned…" as described in the text, please join the signatories who have already rejected Amnesty's decision to endanger the lives of countless women and girls by condemning them to commercial sexual exploitation.

hayesc0

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Agreed don't even need to read the article thow weed in also.