Why Moses Malone doesnt get the respect he should?

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
Bruh it isn't about just losing, it's the manner in which he's losing. Multiple times as a favorite, got backdoored in a Finals (we shytted on Dirk for that back in '06 by the way), best player on a team that blew a 3-1 lead. That matters to me...

Moses took essentially a .500 team to a Finals, beating the defending champs along the way, and was already a 2x MVP. He shows up in Philly and now Dr J "gets over the hump"...

Dr J is overrated because of his ABA career (only 5 years there by the way, where only half the best players in the world were at best. Cats act like he spent half his life there) and because of his above the rim, groundbreaking play style. If we hold him to the same standards we hold all greats to there should be a problem with the continual playoff struggles...

Mo didn't have the teams around him Erving did in Philly, come on now. Philly was loaded with multiple All-Stars every single season and never won a title, how is this not an indictment on them?

How is it not an indictment on their best player?

'80 Finals G5, tie score with 40 seconds left, you don't foul. There was no need to, it was a poor decision to go contest seeing as the pass already beat him over the top. Bad decision making...

On the next possession you can clearly see he rushed the shot...

I could say Philly overachieved except for the fact there was multiple All-Stars (2+) on that team every year. I could say Philly overachieved except fir the fact they were in the ECF 5 of 6 years pre-Moses, and had three Finals trips that ended winless...

Moses comes and there is no debate he was instantly the best player on the team and raised their ceiling from Finals participant to champions...

I hear you fam but your characterization of Erving's career seems to ignore the low points and highlight his career as some carry job that it actually wasn't...
They were not getting voted in every year but Moses had 2 All-Star caliber teammates in Calvin Murphy and Rudy T. Also, I don't know where I got 0-2 from, 81 is his only pre-Sixers Finals, which he only reached once Houston got switched to the West. So another early exit. This is the guy you're telling is better than Doc, 1 Finals trip and multiple early exits, including 1 to Doc en route to a Finals, while Doc is losing in the ECF/Finals to the champion or eventual champion every year outside of the Spurs in 79. If Moses is his equal or greater than results should be somewhat similar.

Both skillset and results point to Doc, bully ball in the paint with mediocre defense at Center isn't selling me.

If we're knocking the guy with stronger results year in and year out, then what are we doing with the guy with lesser results? There's no real argument other than MVPs which apparently were based on motor-driven gaudy box stats and not real impact a la Westbrook.

Last edited: