Why was LL Cool J able to stay relevant in music way longer than his 1980’s rap peers?

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
When I was a shorty I honestly thought BDK was always on some Luther Vandross shyt. It wasn't till I got older that I realized he was legitimately a great MC.

The second album was when the shift started, but just a little. That was still a classic. After that, he was still a dope MC, but the music definitely started being more on some New Jack Swing and R&B sh*t, then by Prince of Darkness, it was pretty much over. He was being clowned for selling out.

who_better_than_me

Time to go!!
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Because his music always catered more to the ladies than those other guys.

Can you imagine krs-one ona single with J-Lo:francis:

The Amerikkkan Idol

The Amerikkkan Nightmare
Daps
Same reason Snoop still finds ways to be relevant

Charisma.

I forgot which thread we were arguing about this on here, where we were talking about one of those Wu-Tang dudes not "getting his due" & it all came back to charisma.

Snoop, LL, Will Smith, 2pac, etc. . .those dudes will/would've always find/found ways to be relevant because they're just people people want to be around and like.

Rakim is really laid back to the point we forget he's around.

KRS, as much as I love him, often comes off as pompous and full of himself

Kane sold out just a LITTLE too early to survive.

Heavy D is actually a guy who had a really underrated run that lasted deep into the '90s too because he was charismatic an found new ways to reinvent himself.

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
Because he was himself while adapting to the trends.

This right here.

And it wasn't just females who liked him either. Most legends have LL in their Top 5. KRS, Fat Joe, G Rap, Dr. Dre, Kane, EPMD, Twista, B.I.G., Scarface, Nas, Keith Murray, Treach, 50, and the list goes on and on. Legends love LL. So when you have so many people that throw you in their Top 5 and always show you respect and love, and you're constantly able to make classic records with the newer artists ("Who Shot Ya (Remix)", "Flava In Ya Ear (Remix), "Rampage" and "4,3,2,1"), you don’t have to worry about being out of touch. He was always right there with the new MC's, still selling mad records and making dope sh*t.

Derek Jeter said "Headsprung" gets him focused on the game, so that became his come-out music for a minute at the Yankee home games. At that point, LL had already been in the game for 20 years and was on his 10th album! And dude was still selling almost like 200,000 physical copies first week, which was more than he had ever before first week, on any of his other albums. Dude is Hip Hop's first superstar, and his career shows why.

ShaDynasty

Chaos Theory Part 1 - The Album
Daps
I was just playing 10 the other day, great album.

As others said yeah likeable personality, dynamic rap skills. I bet he was voted most likely to succeed in high school.

JYoung24

Young J
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just curious, how old are you?

When that Rakim record came out, I was in middle school.......in the heart of the bad boy era, that shyt was corny to me. I didn't want to hear what this old nukka was dropping when Bad Boy, Wu Tang, No Limit and Bone Thugs were killing shyt.

Rakim was obviously a legend but it was nothing like Paid in Full or even Follow the Leader.

It's wild cuz rakim was only 29 lol

BK The Great

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
BK NY
Women bought his stuff, also dropped bars for rap fans. He had appeal to all fans. Now he’s on television shows and got Rock The Bells so that also helps.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't know why people are saying his acting helped him or putting Will Smith in the same bracket. It isn't the same. While, LL Cool J was an actor, that never overshadowed his music or even propped his music career. I don't recall LL ever being in a movie that was a blockbuster or something that helped build hype for an LL album. Will Smith on the other hand has an acting career that far exceeds the music. He has some of the highest grossing films ever to his credit. Meanwhile, Will Smith isn't respected like that as an MC. Men In Black coincided with his biggest album, Big Willie Style. They aren't the same.