Why wasn't roy jones bigger (like in the mainstream)

R=G

Street Terrorist
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
Youre being kind of silly..Roy Jones was bowed down to...during that get together in 99 with Roy, Jordan, Serena, Jeter, and Sapp....Jordan was in awe of Roy Jones..star struck. He was too good for too long..exciting fights? Whatever the gimmick is that is being mentioned, he didnt suffer for it. He was cheered until he started to lose past his prime.

Pimp

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:beli:

Floyd would be just as exciting if he were fighting garbage/firemen like Roy was.

Unlike Floyd, Roy fought whoever the #1 contender was. So if you think they were garbage you're stupid. Most of his fights were against guys with 0,1,2 loses. These fighters could have been stars if it wasn't for Roy. In his prime Roy would beat Floyd.

ChocolateGiddyUp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Unlike Floyd, Roy fought whoever the #1 contender was. So if you think they were garbage you're stupid. Most of his fights were against guys with 0,1,2 loses. These fighters could have been stars if it wasn't for Roy. In his prime Roy would beat Floyd.

#1 contenders oh you mean like Guerrero was??:stopitslime:

How bout you name the last fighter Floyd fought who wasnt a champ, P4P, or #1 contender :comeon:

Pimp

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
#1 contenders oh you mean like Guerrero was??:stopitslime:

How bout you name the last fighter Floyd fought who wasnt a champ, P4P, or #1 contender :comeon:

How about him not fighting pacman in his prime. Coward.. At least Roy beat James toney and Bernard in their prime.

ChocolateGiddyUp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
How about him not fighting pacman in his prime. Coward.. At least Roy beat James toney and Bernard in their prime.

Oh OK I get it....you was talking out your ass N now you moving the goal posts:russ:

Cuz it hasn't been done to death here bout why the PAC/Floyd fight never happened N EVERYONE involved is to blame

Tell me how Otis Grant, Richard Frazier, Glen Kelley, Clinton Woods N Reggie Johnson were Stars in the making:heh:

Pimp

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Oh OK I get it....you was talking out your ass N now you moving the goal posts:russ:

Cuz it hasn't been done to death here bout why the PAC/Floyd fight never happened N EVERYONE involved is to blame

Tell me how Otis Grant, Richard Frazier, Glen Kelley, Clinton Woods N Reggie Johnson were Stars in the making:heh:

Tell me the last real fighter Floyd fought

Majestic Pape

The-Coli = W SOHH = L
Daps
:beli:

Floyd would be just as exciting if he were fighting garbage/firemen like Roy was.
No he wouldn't. Roy's style of fighting is more entertaining than Floyd's, period. Doesn't mean he's a better fighter (with both at their best, he may have been, I can see the argument either way), just that he's more entertaining.

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
No he wouldn't. Roy's style of fighting is more entertaining than Floyd's, period. Doesn't mean he's a better fighter (with both at their best, he may have been, I can see the argument either way), just that he's more entertaining.

That is subjective. Your saying that is if it's a fact.

The thing about Floyd is people refuse to give him his props on how entertaining he is the watch. They'll say he's a draw because of his team, he's draw because people want to see him lose, etc. You don't become at draw at his level if you aren't aesthetically pleasing to watch at the end of the day. In my opinion, he's the most entertaining pure boxer of all time. His fights probably don't have any replay value to the casual fan, but they enjoy it in the moment.

Only fight of his that just so awful to watch was the Baldomir fight. Dude still sold over 800k with Guerrero in a fight that was very easy to predict. People like to watch him fight.

It's unfortunate this turned into a Roy Jones Vs. Mayweather thread.

As for Roy Jones, he was a star in his own right. It does kind of feel he was only a star in the boxing community despite being in movies like the matrix, tv shows, etc. To keep it simple he didn't have the "it" factor these other guys have.

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
A couple of problems. One was the HBO contract. If I remember correctly he had a guaranteed purse no matter the opponents to fight on HBO. So he never had to push hard for big fights since he was getting paid regardless.

Every big fight he tried to make had something go wrong. His fight with Trinidad which would've been seriously huge and a huge payday for Jones got ruined by Hopkins beating him. Then him and Hopkins couldn't come to terms on a split. His rematch with Toney never came. He wouldn't fight any of the European guys.

While his skills were sick every Jones fight was the same. It seemed he was just comfortable pot shotting for the majority of the fight. Even when he had someone completely overmatched he never stepped out of his comfort zone to really try and finish it. He definitely gets punished opinion wise for that more than Floyd because Jones is looked at as having more pure power than Floyd.

I wonder if Jones knew all along his chin was suspect and that's why he fought the way he did.

I also think that Jones power didn't fully carry up to light heavy which is what accounted for the change in style cause earlier in his career he was way more aggressive.

Majestic Pape

The-Coli = W SOHH = L
Daps

They were stars in the making i
That is subjective. Your saying that is if it's a fact.

The thing about Floyd is people refuse to give him his props on how entertaining he is the watch. They'll say he's a draw because of his team, he's draw because people want to see him lose, etc. You don't become at draw at his level if you aren't aesthetically pleasing to watch at the end of the day. In my opinion, he's the most entertaining pure boxer of all time. His fights probably don't have any replay value to the casual fan, but they enjoy it in the moment.

Only fight of his that just so awful to watch was the Baldomir fight. Dude still sold over 800k with Guerrero in a fight that was very easy to predict. People like to watch him fight.

It's unfortunate this turned into a Roy Jones Vs. Mayweather thread.

As for Roy Jones, he was a star in his own right. It does kind of feel he was only a star in the boxing community despite being in movies like the matrix, tv shows, etc. To keep it simple he didn't have the "it" factor these other guys have.
There's no need to say "in my opinion"... you're/I'm the one saying it, of course it's our opinion. All of us here (most of us here/some of us here) know the difference between a fact and an opinion.

And as far as the rest of it goes, Roy had the "it" factor. People on here are actually underrating how big of a star he was, he just wasn't as big as Floyd is now or Oscar at the time, et cetera. He also wasn't marketed/didn't market himself as well as those others. Give Roy Al Haymon and mainstream has a completely different view of him.

Not to mention he got forced to lean back. The way Roy is ending his career has soured a lot of people's minds of how good he used to be.