Why were there more black on black crime in the 70s(before rap) than now?

BrothaZay

Non-FBA. AdosK
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The suburbs
Let the coli tell it, present day is the end of the world and these kids just dont respect anything and is a lost cause.

But the 70s and even the 80s pre crack were way more violent than today, nikkas didnt even have choppas bacc den. You got cities catching 900+ bodies just off nikkas with revolvers and baseball bats :damn:

Detroit homicides in the 70s:

1979: 451

1978: 498

1977: 478

1976: 662

1975: 607

1974: 714

1973: 672

1972: 601

1971: 577

1970: 495

Chicago homicides in the 70s:

1970: 810
1971: 824
1972: 711
1973: 862
1974: 970
1975: 818
1976: 814
1977: 823
1978: 787
1979: 856
Homicide -- Los Angeles, 1970-1979

Homicides in Los Angeles in the 70s:

Blacks were at greatest risk of victimization(Los Angeles), with a rate of 45.6/100,000 population. The greatest absolute increase in homicide rates occurred among blacks, whose rates rose from 35.7/100,000 in 1970 to 61.3/100,000 in 1979.

:scust:

Theres more but im lazy

Kokoro

Passion
Supporter
Daps
I always thought this was an interesting statistic as well. Technology today just allows us to see more of what goes on in the world, when before it was out of sight out of mind

Its hard to tell tho. These statistics dont tell things like total amount of people shot in a year. It could be that less murders are occurring and violence is down overall, or it could be that more people are surviving gunshot wounds due to improving healthcare :yeshrug:

jackson35

Banned
Daps
are these statistic reliable? we were in court system fighting whitey then each other

ahdsend

Superstar
Daps
thats the baby boomers..

we ain't got a clue how much damage they really did...:wow:

link is a long read, imma just post a little bit of it....

Decivilization in the 1960s

And figure two, Homicide rates in US and England 1900-2000, shows that in the 1960s the homicide rate in America went through the roof.

Figure two - Homicide rates in US and England 1900-2000

After a three-decade free fall that spanned the Great Depression, World War II, and the Cold War, Americans multiplied their homicide rate by more than two and a half, from a low of 4.0 in 1957 to a high of 10.2 in 1980 (U.S. Bureau of Statistics; Fox and Zawitz: 2007). The upsurge included every other category of major crime as well, including rape, assault, robbery, and theft, and lasted (with ups and downs) for three decades. The cities got particularly dangerous, especially New York, which became a symbol of the new criminality. Though the surge in violence affected all the races and both genders, it was most dramatic among black men, whose annual homicide rate had shot up by the mid-1980s to 72 per 100,000. :francis:

The flood of violence from the 1960s through the 1980s reshaped American culture, the political scene, and everyday life. Mugger jokes became a staple of comedians, with mentions of Central Park getting an instant laugh as a well-known death trap. New Yorkers imprisoned themselves in their apartments with batteries of latches and deadbolts, including the popular “police lock,” a steel bar with one end anchored in the floor and the other propped up against the door. The section of downtown Boston not far from where I now live was called the Combat Zone because of its endemic muggings and stabbings. Urbanites quit other American cities in droves, leaving burned-out cores surrounded by rings of suburbs, exurbs, and gated communities. Books, movies and television series used intractable urban violence as their backdrop, including Little Murders, Taxi Driver, The Warriors, Escape from New York, Fort Apache the Bronx, Hill Street Blues, and Bonfire of the Vanities. Women enrolled in self-defense courses to learn how to walk with a defiant gait, to use their keys, pencils, and spike heels as weapons, and to execute karate chops or jujitsu throws to overpower an attacker, role-played by a volunteer in a Michelin-man-tire suit. Red-bereted Guardian Angels patrolled the parks and the mass transit system, and in 1984 Bernhard Goetz, a mild-mannered engineer, became a folk hero for shooting four young muggers in a New York subway car. A fear of crime helped elect decades of conservative politicians, including Richard Nixon in 1968 with his “Law and Order” platform (overshadowing the Vietnam War as a campaign issue); George H. W. Bush in 1988 with his insinuation that Michael Dukakis, as governor of Massachusetts, had approved a prison furlough program that had released a rapist; and many senators and congressmen who promised to “get tough on crime.” Though the popular reaction was overblown—far more people are killed every year in car accidents than in homicides, especially among those who don’t get into arguments with young men in bars—the sense that violent crime had multiplied was not a figment of their imaginations.

The rebounding of violence in the 1960s defied every expectation. The decade was a time of unprecedented economic growth, nearly full employment, levels of economic equality for which people today are nostalgic, historic racial progress, and the blossoming of government social programs, not to mention medical advances that made victims more likely to survive being shot or knifed. Social theorists in 1962 would have happily bet that these fortunate conditions would lead to a continuing era of low crime. And they would have lost their shirts.

Why did the Western world embark on a three-decade binge of crime from which it has never fully recovered? This is one of several local reversals of the long-term decline of violence that I will examine in this book. If the analysis is on the right track, then the historical changes I have been invoking to explain the decline should have gone into reverse at the time of the surges.

An obvious place to look is demographics. The 1940s and 1950s, when crime rates hugged the floor, were the great age of marriage. Americans got married in numbers not seen before or since, which removed men from the streets and planted them in suburbs (Courtwright 1996). One consequence was a bust in violence. But the other was a boom in babies. The first baby boomers, born in 1946, entered their crime-prone years in 1961; the ones born in the peak year, 1954, entered in 1969. A natural conclusion is that the crime boom was an echo of the baby boom. Unfortunately, the numbers don’t add up. If it were just a matter of there being more teenagers and twenty-somethings who were committing crimes at their usual rates, the increase in crime from 1960 to 1970 would have been 13 percent, not 135 percent.[2] Young men weren’t simply more numerous than their predecessors; they were more violent, too.

KENNY DA COOKER

HARD ON HOES is not a word it's a LIFESTYLE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
F
@BrothaZay.....i'll admit i have always hated ur fukking guts as a threadposter

but i gotta give props where it's due.... :manny:

this thread is probally the THREAD OF THE YEAR :lawd:

the way you placed the hypocriscy of my OG People :flabbynsick: on blast was just brilliant.....disturbing but brilliant

it's true.........we were SAVAGES TO THE THIRD POWER back then....80s and 90s

and according to my OG's...

as my pops would say..."n1ggas was ready to blow somebody's head off with the sawed off if you stepped on thier STACEY ADAMS in the 70s" :damn:

don't let the family reunions and sweet sounds of soul music fool ya:usure:

that Cocaine Herion flow of the 70s in a politically incorrect society filled with a lack of gun control and economic empowement made life hectic

Last edited:

BrothaZay

Non-FBA. AdosK
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The suburbs
@BrothaZay.....i'll admit i have always hated ur fukking guts as a threadposter

but i gotta give props where it's due.... :manny:

this thread is probally the THREAD OF THE YEAR :lawd:

the way you placed the hypocriscy of my OG People :flabbynsick: on blast was just brilliant.....disturbing but brilliant

it's true.........we were SAVAGES TO THE THIRD POWER back then....

as my pops would say..."n1ggas was ready to blow somebody's head off with the sawed off if you stepped on thier STACEY ADAMS!!!" :damn:

don't let the family reunions and sweet sounds of soul music fool ya:usure:

that Cocaine Herion flow of the 70s in a politically correct society filled with a lack of gun control and economic empowement made life hectic
pull up