Wisconsin 4th-Grade Homework Assignment: ‘Give 3 Good Reasons for Slavery'

The M.I.C.

The King In The West 👑
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Charlotte - Washington D.C.
A homework assignment asked fourth-graders at a private school in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin to argue why slavery was a good thing. It prompted an apology from the principal of Our Redeemer Lutheran School, who said the question wasn't supposed to have an answer because there are no good reasons for slavery.

The assignment handed out Monday, Jan. 8 quickly sparked backlash. It asked English students to "give three good reasons for slavery and three bad reasons."

jis5ni8rzsne4bdpqdk6.jpg

"It's highly offensive and insensitive. I was in shock. I couldn't believe they sent something like that home,"Trameka Brown-Berry, parent said.

Brown-Berry's 9-year-old son is a student in the class.

"Not only was my son in an awful position, but the students who weren't black -- that's what keeps racism going," Brown-Berry said.

Principal Jim Van Dellen declined to speak with FOX6 News on camera, but admitted Tuesday theassignment was out of line. In a letter to parents, he said "the purpose of the assignment was not, in any way, to have students argue that slavery is acceptable." He said the assignment is no longer part of the curriculum, and said it was intended to spark debatein English class.

"And for it to be a Christian school, they could say something like, 'what are three good things we can do to prevent slavery from happening?'" Andrea Michelwith Safe Place Meeting Group said.

Principal Van Dellen vowed to better communicate sensitive subjects being discussed in class with parents before presenting it to students.

Brown-Berry said this homework should be a lesson to us all, and explained why she posted it online.

"Speak up. Tell your story. That is how you go aboutchange. That's what I was trying to model for my son," Brown-Berry said.

Principal Van Dellen said he'll be meeting with Brown-Berry Wednesday. He wouldn't say whether the teacher who handed out the assignment is being disciplined.

nsk0uigsppjldvttuzhl.jpg

slavery.jpg

‘Give 3 good reasons for slavery:’ 4th-grade homework assignment sparks backlash, apology in Wauwatosa

Will Ross

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
I don’t see the issue with the assignment. I think it’s to advanced for 4 grade though.

WaveCapsByOscorp™

2021 Grammy Award Winner
Daps
I’ve seen shyt like this, they try to mask it in the lesson plans like, in a reading they might discuss how slavery allowed blah and blah and blah like because WP got economically cool off the shyt, that that’s “good”.

Nah, that’s the definition of evil; profiting off of promoting suffering. I wish people stop trying to find “the bright side” to everything. Or whatever the fukk you want to call it other than bullshytting

DaPresident

Miami Hurricanes football fan...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Miami Hurricanes,Dallas Cowboys, St. John's, DMV
I wonder what kind of actual debate the "teacher" was expecting from some 4th graders?:hhh:

They weren't supposed to have an "answer" for the "good" reasons for slavery?:beli:
Yup, some 9-11 year old is really gonna know NOT to answer that...I see eraser marks where some child DID answer the positives SMH

I wonder what the kids that actually did the assignment wrote?:patrice::jbhmm:

TL15

Veteran
Daps
I wonder what the kids that actually did the assignment wrote?:patrice::jbhmm:

Most 9 year olds (outside of them parroting the N word and stuff from their parents) aren't capable of rationalizing something as complex as slavery.

It's like those kid preachers on Oprah years ago.

Kids just copy what they see without any depth of understanding as to what they are saying. IF they came up with answers they were probably given them from their parents or something silly/ignorant/showing of their age like "gives black people a place to live" or something.

this isn't to defend any of the kids that "completed the assignment" but who THE FYCK even assigns that assignment? It's insane that these adults show such little judgment, yet they are responsible for directly impacting hundreds of children over decades.