WNBA star Maya Moore frees innocent man from prison, they get married

Discussion in 'The Locker Room' started by goatmane, Sep 16, 2020.

1. goatmane

goatmane Veteran

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $100.00

WNBA star Maya Moore married Jonathan Irons, the man she helped free from wrongful conviction
    [​IMG]
    Maya Moore/Instagram
    9:50
    WNBA star Maya Moore speaks out on Jonathan Irons’ release from prison
    [​IMG]
    By Kelly McCarthy
    Read the Latest →By providing my email address, I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy

Basketball star turned activist Maya Moore revealed that she and Jonathan Irons have married.

The pair joined "Good Morning America" Wednesday to share exclusive details of their unique love story that blossomed out of friendship after she helped free him from prison following his wrongful conviction 23 years ago.

"We wanted to announce today that we are super excited to continue the work that we are doing together, but doing it as a married couple," Moore said. "We got married a couple months ago and we're excited to just continue this new chapter of life together.

While the couple's nuptials were celebrated during the ongoing pandemic, Moore said it did not take away from the momentous occasion.

She explained that the guests were masked and social distanced, but the main thing was they were able to get married with some of their closest friends and family.

Moore, 31, said that the romantic feelings progressed gradually over time, since they first met through a prison ministry program when she was 18 years old.

"Over the last 13 years we have just developed a friendship and just entered into this huge battle to get him home and just over time it was pretty clear what the Lord was doing in our hearts and now we're sitting here today, starting a whole new chapter together," she said.

She said what she loves most is her husband's ability to "rise above the chaos of his surroundings," as well as his faith in God.

Even though Irons told her he wanted to be close and remain friends, he also revealed his love for her while still at Jefferson City Correctional Center and that he wanted her to marry him, but said, "don't answer right now."

"I wanted to marry her but at the same time protect her because being in a relationship with a man in prison, it's extremely difficult and painful. And I didn't want her to feel trapped and I wanted her to feel open and have the ability any time if this is too much for you, go and find somebody. Live your life. Because this is hard."

He said the moment he finally popped the question was worth the wait.

"When I got out we were in the hotel room we had some friends in the room, it was winding down and we were extremely tired, but we were still gassed up on excitement," Irons recalled. "It was just me and her in the room and I got down on my knees and I looked up at her and she kind of knew what was going on and I said, 'will you marry me,' she said, 'yes.'"

Login • Instagram

The couple, who have most recently been working on the "Get Out the Vote" campaign, first formed a close friendship in 2007, before her freshman year at the University of Connecticut, when she met him through a prison ministry in which her extended family in Missouri participated.

When Irons was 16 years old, he was tried and convicted as an adult by an all-white jury for the burglary and shooting at the home of 38-year-old Stanley Stotler. Irons maintained his innocence while he was in prison, saying he was wrongly identified during the lineup.

Editor's Picks
    After years of fighting, a Missouri judge overturned Irons' conviction in March, saying there were problems with the way the case had been investigated and tried -- including a fingerprint report that would've proved Irons' innocence, not being turned over to his defense team.

While Irons, now 40, has spent most of his life in prison for a crime he didn't commit, he said he doesn't feel resentment toward the man who wrongly identified him, and said that Stotler is a "victim" as well.

The couple said they are currently enjoying a playful, joyful life in the new normal together riding bikes, playing frisbee and other free activities that both haven't been able to do in a while.

Moore and Irons are also currently focused on spreading the word about local elections for voters to make a real impact in their communities through Win With Justice's "Get Out the Vote" campaign.

"GMA" anchor Robin Roberts announced in her interview with the newlyweds that her production company Rock'n Robin productions has teamed up with ESPN films to produce a documentary about Maya and Jonathan's story.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    Dillah810, Beedad, tDames and 29 others dapped this.
  2. neotheflyingone

neotheflyingone THE ONE

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $300500.00

Good for them :ehh:

Deus, Bless't, Afro and 66 others dapped this.
  3. Beedad

Beedad All Star

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Jersey, Trapped in the 90's
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

This is a real life "Love After Lockup"

Salute. I wish them the best.
    :salute:

4. surf

surf aka Mr. $erv-On Supporter

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    ...the Flatbush style
    Coli Cash:
    $500.00

that’s dope.

Bossino, Devilinurear, Guile and 10 others dapped this.
  5. JackRoss

JackRoss Superstar

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $500.00

Wtf

6. track 1

track 1 Superstar Supporter

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Dallas
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

:ohhh: Always wondered why she was fighting so hard for him

7. JackRoss

JackRoss Superstar

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $500.00

Wasn't there a video of them when he got out?

Edit: Prison ministry at 18:dahell:

Morpheus, FIVE 6 MAFIA, Goku112 and 6 others dapped this.
  8. Wallychamp

Wallychamp Kings Lose Crowns, Teachers Stay Intelligent

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $299311.00

:salute:

BoogieDown23 dapped this.
  9. Crude

Crude Superstar

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $500.00

Sometimes love is found in the strangest places.

This also probably explains why she was pushing so hard for him.

Afro, UpAndComing, Bossino and 48 others dapped this.
  10. kdslittlebro

kdslittlebro Superstar Supporter

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $500.00

My baby [​IMG] congrats to that breh. He has a book on his hands if he wants it

11. Stringer Cochran

Stringer Cochran Better Ring String Supporter

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $500.00

all these incels walking around but nikkas in prison stay pulling women

:mjlol:

12. TradePascalSiakam

TradePascalSiakam RIP Melyeah, Charmander, Kobe and Gianna :to: Staff Member Supporter

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Repent for the kingdom of heaven is at hand
    Coli Cash:
    $8412004557.00

will be a movie in 10-15 years

beautiful story

13. Luke Cage

Luke Cage Veteran Supporter

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Harlem
    Coli Cash:
    $335690.00

:deadmanny:

14. Sbp

Sbp Superstar

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    New Orleans
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

That's incredible

UserNameless dapped this.
  15. TM101

TM101 All Star

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    NULL
    Coli Cash:
    $506626.00

This is a great story and all, but you know the "black women love thugs (We know hes innocent, i'm talking about the optics)" and the "black women have to date down" crew are going to make an example out of this.

I thought Maya was a lez for the longest, seems she's actually a demisexual