Words Used Against and At The Black American Community and Culture

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
There is a major trend of words used to talk about, create and/or support a White Supremacist - anti-Black American narrative against Black Americans.

It used to be primarily said by Whites - but I have noticed many Black people who use them when talking about the Black Community and Black American people in general.

Accountability: the fact or condition of being accountable; responsibility.

Victimization: the action of singling someone out for cruel or unjust treatment.
Many times when people use them they are out of context -- and are used to respond to historical, factual data and issues that continue to plague many of our communities.

It's not new. It's many White Supremacist books on this narrative.

Why do you think so many Black people have adopted this belief? Many are not even from America and do not live in America -- yet still believe this.

It these things were true about The Black American community -- we wouldn't be the proud and successful people we are today -- who over came - to become greatness.

Afro

Student of life
Supporter
Daps
Conditioning.

We don't know how extensive the damage goes, but I can say from a personal perspective that it can blind even the most informed scholar.

I'll catch myself reacting to events from an European American perspective and take a moment to ask myself why.

People are sponges, you can't block everything that comes your way. Depending on how often and how much an individual hears/sees things that slowly justify the behaviors/stereotypes that fuel those negative thoughts, you end up with folks parroting self hate rhetoric.

If you don't have a good support system and a good mental foundation (religion, racial pride etc,) it'll influence you through your subconscious.

This society bombards us from every corner. News, entertainment, education etc.

They also use the same tools overseas. Combine that with mob mentality and a forever terrible tenet of white supremacy "As long as I am not a Negro, life is good" you get a foreign parrot.

Truth has nothing to do with it. But it should.

Last edited:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
There is a major trend of words used to talk about, create and/or support a White Supremacist - anti-Black American narrative against Black Americans.

It used to be primarily said by Whites - but I have noticed many Black people who use them when talking about the Black Community and Black American people in general.

Accountability: the fact or condition of being accountable; responsibility.

Victimization: the action of singling someone out for cruel or unjust treatment.
Many times when people use them they are out of context -- and are used to respond to historical, factual data and issues that continue to plague many of our communities.

It's not new. It's many White Supremacist books on this narrative.

Why do you think so many Black people have adopted this belief? Many are not even from America and do not live in America -- yet still believe this.

It these things were true about The Black American community -- we wouldn't be the proud and successful people we are today -- who over came - to become greatness.
Three answers that tie into each other. Media depictions,education, and convenient amnesia.
I think @K.O.N.Y. is wrong in this instance.

Been around Blacks from most ethnic and social groups growing up and as an adult. People are uneducated about other groups (or about their own), they tend to harp on the public/perceived shortcomings of other groups and gloss over/ignore the shortcomings of their group (racial,ethnic, or social).

America's number one export is culture, African Americans have an integral role in shaping American culture. Most people in the world are familiar with American celebs and they view Americans through the prism of American films, tv shows and CNN. They get a VERY limited view of what encompasses African American culture because while AAs influence and shape American and global culture, they are often not the media gatekeepers who decide what gets projected to the world. White people decide what aspects of AA are beamed across the world and here. They also control what aspects of Caribbean and African cultures make their way into American books, tv shows, films and news stories.
America markets and reports a very limited depiction of African American life and culture, outsiders to the culture may buy into it, and some AAs may buy into it. For example, there have been at least 5 times in education threads where I've corrected people who have ACTUALLY written that "African Americans need to pattern their views on education after other ethnic groups". Three of those times, the comments were made by members who publicly identify as AA.

Which ties into education about other groups (or own). For people who don't crack books,travel,or have curiosity about different cultures really have no choice other than to believe what the white guy on tv is saying about group X. Haitians are that way, Nigerians are this way, African Americans are that way.

Amnesia. The (insert stereotype) people of THEIR cultures aren't on tv being promoted 24/7 by whites on American media. No, they are hidden away back in home country or in ethnic enclaves in America far from news cameras, but they DO exist. I know this and EVERY person of immigrant background knows this, but because they are out of (plain) sight, people can act like they don't exist and harp on the ones from other cultures who are publicly being shown,discussed. I had to pull a co-workers card about this years ago. I won't name the country he's from but he was was tapdancing for white people. "Blacks Americans should do this,etc,etc I'm from county x ," in front of whites. One day, we had an outing and I decided where would go to eat. Van transported us to the outing, and I told the driver where to go. The guy got nervous because he knew what I was doing. I picked the dirtiest gulliest section of the ethnic section of the city where HIS people operated to have lunch. His national flag was on display all over including the food spot I chose , I made it a point to say that "according to Zagat, this place has the finest (insert nationality) food in the city" in front of those white people, too.

Because of the circles I've been in, I've had to call out and correct Black folks from ALL backgrounds for this amnesia. When I do it online, people seem to understand immediately that I'm no stranger to their cultures and they tend to fall back from the stereotyping of others. It's a three way street to respect and nobody gets a pass.

AlainLocke

Banned
Daps
I’ve seen that victimization/victimhood word on here quite a few times :ohhh:

It's a real conservative mindset and I be having to check people about using those words and what they mean in a political context.

The framers of modern Western Civilization were merchants and philosophers that had a very mechanistic view of the world, everything had it's place.

The conservatives of 1600s and 1700s liked the idea of royalty because it kept society perfectly ordered while the radicals wished for democracy and we ended up somewhere in the middle. Western countries have mostly representative democracy with rather strong hierarchies and for the most part, the undesirables are at the bottom with the Whites and model minorities at the top and in the middle.

When conservatives of today talk about victim mentality or accountability - they saying be happy in your place. They'll tell you to try to pull yourself up.

But if you live a incredibly unequal society like the USA, there are no ladders and nobody is putting their hand out to pull you up. And everybody knows this, the real fear, is that if there are ladders, what would the hierarchy look like. And if there are no ladders, then what must be done?

A lot of Black people and Whites and model minorities don't want to discuss that there are no ladders and nobody is trying to pull anybody up. That's why we start talking about mentality and attitude, trying to individually justify everyone's place in the hierarchy, instead of talking about how institutions, historical events and biases engineer and design hierarchies.

The average human being is capable of extraordinary things if they have enough support. Most people that are considered great aren't truly any different than the next person. I mean okay, in fields like athletics you have to be a human outlier to be a professional but in everything else, most people are average.

It's funny how Western society is built on the ideas of human exceptionalism and equality but when it comes time to look at inequalities, we start talking about borderline eugenics. Everyone instantly becomes a psychologist and cultural sociologist.

I find it interesting. :mjgrin:

Last edited: