HUGE spoiler for this one, but Atonement takes the cake.
Y'all talking about betrayals that were a big moment in the movie....but how about the betrayal that DESTROYED the entire fukking movie?
1. She falsely accuses her sister's lover of rape and gets him sent to prison and then sent off to war
2. He dies a horrific death at war
3. Her sister dies a horrific death without ever knowing the truth
4. She never confesses, never tells the truth, so everyone forever thinks the dead guy was a rapist
5. Then she writes a book about the whole thing, only lies and makes it a happy-ever-after story where she did the right thing and everyone lived
6. The whole movie follows her book version, not the "real" events, and you only find out at the end that everything we saw happen in the movie was her made-up sanitized bullshyt and in reality everyone was absolutely fukked over by her lies and never saw redemption outside of her own fantasies
Probably the only end-of-movie twist that made me want to fukking throw shyt at the scene and hate a fictional character with all the vile energy in the world
He bushed millenniums worth of human knowledge, history, culture and then killed off the entire Alpha personnel. People that worked 80-100 hour weeks for several months to make sure the next generation of humans wouldn't have to start from scratch. All because he didn't want people knowing what he did.
Don't have the clip but that scene in The Getaway where Michael Madsen holds the dentist and his wife hostage, gets her choosing, then ties up the dentist and smashes his wife while he has to listen from the other room